What is next after .375 in bolt action Rifle?

Nic7-300wsm

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHCA
I know this question will have as many opinions and answers as would asking "what is the best whiskey" be, but I am interested in your opinion as I want something bigger. I have shot with almost all size calibers in different makes and models and want to own something worthy of being called BIG bore.

My choices are currently narrowed down to 450 Rigby and 500 Jefferey (not that I have excluded any of the other calibers as a fact). Also not really that important to be an off-the-shelve gun. I am also not looking at a $20,000 plus gun with exhibition grade walnut stock as all my guns are working rifles and they all get bumps and scratches from use. I also reload, so factory ammo is not a requirement. At this point I don't want to include any doubles purely because I love bolt action rifles.

For me it was a .458 Lott.

Can't argue with either of the calibers you mention though!!!

Is the .458 Lott not a bit lengthy with the long action, specifically when shooting rounds in quick succession?

I'll second Royal. Love my CZ in 458 Lott open sights. I reload to be easier in the pocket book. No trouble cycling quickly. It is as you say a "working gun". Good luck in your new venture. R.

550 Magnum if you want to make a statement at both ends:)
You have now put me on a completely different track! This looks like a very special caliber.... will definitely look into this and do a little more google work.

I'll say, 460 WBY, 550 magnum you'll never need more punch than these two can give you...

The 458 Lott, and 500 Jeff all on a long magnum action so no difference there..

My best

Is the .458 Lott not a bit lengthy with the long action, specifically when shooting rounds in quick succession?
Same length action as the .375 H&H. I've never had an issue with reloading quickly. Now it certainly takes me a little longer to get back on target as I have more muzzle flip, but that is it.

Interesting question. Kinda like "What's the better car Aston Martin DB9 or Bentley GT?"
Question would be: What are you going to hunt with a larger calibre, or why do you want one? My wife asks me the same question; Why do you want another gun? My response is "Because I don't have that one!" I like sleeping on the couch...it don't bitch at me or talk back :LOL:
All listed above choices are good and yes there will be considerable "thump" at both ends. My preference is the 450 Rigby. CZ makes a decent 450 Rigby rifle. It's not going to win any awards for being "fashionably pretty" but what ever it hits doesn't get up as long as you do your part. You can also have your own custom built version using a 416 Rigby as a donor rifle. 416 Rigby; there's another good calibre that has been around for ever. The 450 is basically a 460 Weatherby minus about 5%. The major advantage is that it operates at much a lower psi than let's say a 460 Weatherby, or a 416 Rem Mag etc. So there is a less of chance that a case will "stick" in the chamber in a high heat & humidity situation. This would be bad if your quarry has a tendency to eat you, or stomp you into a little greasy spot.
Again it's all up to personal preference. Depending on where you live certain gun stores will let you "try out" an cannon or two to see what you prefer.
A buffet of choices! You could get one of each...........:sneaky:
I couldn't decide at my buffet so I got a 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, & 450 Rigby.....burp...pretty good. Dessert may include a 577 Tyrannosaur T-Rex. Not sure if I have room yet....Kinda full :D

Question really is do you want a gun you can hunt with or do you want to make a statement? If the latter, I leave it to others to decide exactly what statement showing up in camp with a .500 Jeffery makes if you're not a PH!

If it's a gun you want to hunt with, and you want a big bore, then I'd suggest either of the .404 Jeffery or the .416 Rigby, both of which have plenty of African history behind them, and both of which have as much power as you will ever need short of charge stopping (and that's why you have a PH).

The .458 Lott is a great gun, but it was a (successful) attempt to make the .458 Win Mag do what it was supposed to do, so to me doesn't have the heritage of the others. Besides, it kicks. Pretty hard.

If you want to go big, and still want to hunt, try the .450 Rigby.

If you want bigger than the heavy 40 calibre like the 404 or various 416's then the 460 G&A would make a worthwhile cartridge to look at. I have the original Guns and Ammo article that shows it to be a very effective cartridge being between the 458 Win Mag and the 460 Wby Mag in performance and was Lott's preferred cartridge. So as not to crowd this thread I will post the article in a new thread

Hello Nic-300WSM,

My vote toward the answer to your question is +1 with the others here for getting a .458 Lott.

Since you wish to skip over the double rifle category, I will spare you on those.
Fair Warning though: We all said that in the beginning stages with our individual infestations of "ExpressRifleitis".

In regards to repeaters above .375 H&H caliber, Yours Truly owns a .416 Rigby, .458 Lott and .500 Jeffery (wouldn't mind owning a .404 Jeffery some day for history/nostalgia reasons but so far I haven't found the right deal).
Of those three mentioned that I do own, the Lott is my favorite among them, with the ,416 a close second.

Reasons being, it is not only plenty of everything needed (bullet diameter/bullet weight/adequate velocity) for any animal on earth, including any that might be intending to stomp me into a greasy red mud puddle, but also ammunition is relatively easy to find.

In a pinch, one can even shoot .458 Winchester in the Lott chamber, exactly like shooting .38 Special cartridges in a .357 caliber weapon, or 2 & 3/4" shotgun shells in a 3" chamber shotgun, etc., etc., and blah, blah, blah.

From a hand loader's point of view, the list of weights and styles of .458 diameter bullets is nearly endless, from simple lead round ball for greatly reduced velocity "plinking" loads, through if I'm not mistaken, at least 600 grain flat nose or round nose, soft and/or solid.
However, I will guess by reputation that today's 500 grainers are plenty, even for elephant.

I'm only a beginner to hunting in Africa but each time I have been there, I have noticed that most of the DG rated PH's I have had the pleasure of speaking with own a .458 Lott, as a tool of their trade (your ammunition availability while in Africa is greatly increased because of this).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Economical option - 458 Lott

Expensive option 470NE

I chose the 458 Lott due to cost, and have not been disappointed at all.

I feel that the question is one of cost, taste and style. Which would I rather hunt with in Africa - a 375 H&H or a 375 Ruger? Both do the same job, but one speaks to the history the other does not. Yes it sounds like I am being contradictory, but when you put cost into the equation at this size caliber my choice was simple...

Anyway leave yourself space for a 500 in the future..:)

Ado

I own a .375 H and H and love it and my kids shoot it well. I have a VC 500 NE and love it. I had a .416 B and M built for a Brown bear hunt next year. My 14 year old can shoot it. Have shot the .404 Jeffreys and loved it as well. don't own one yet... If you want bigger than .375 and a 1 gun safari, I would choose .416 and your choice of Rigby, Remington, Ruger or B and M. ballistics on all are very similar. Can load 400 grains or 225 grains and anywhere in between. From Duiker to Elephant. You are covered.

I like cartridges with history so I've ended up with 375 H&H, 450/400 3", a couple 416 Rigbys, and a 500 Jeffery. I can't say that I have a favorite as I enjoy shooting them all. They haven't been to Africa yet but I do get funny looks from my buddies when I pull the 375 out to hunt hogs in the swamp or a 416 to hunt whitetails..

The animals are not any tougher than they were 50 years ago. 458 Lott is a lot of gun. 416 Rigby is about perfect for short and long range.

Question really is do you want a gun you can hunt with or do you want to make a statement? If the latter, I leave it to others to decide exactly what statement showing up in camp with a .500 Jeffery makes if you're not a PH!

If it's a gun you want to hunt with, and you want a big bore, then I'd suggest either of the .404 Jeffery or the .416 Rigby, both of which have plenty of African history behind them, and both of which have as much power as you will ever need short of charge stopping (and that's why you have a PH).

The .458 Lott is a great gun, but it was a (successful) attempt to make the .458 Win Mag do what it was supposed to do, so to me doesn't have the heritage of the others. Besides, it kicks. Pretty hard.

If you want to go big, and still want to hunt, try the .450 Rigby.
I like the way you think... I fully agree on the .458 Lott, making a .458WM better doesn't have the same nostalgia as a classic (that is exactly why I have a .375 H&H).
I use all my rifles to hunt with and love shooting then regularly, so going big sounds like getting a .450 Rigby. The .416 Rigby is just a tad to close to the .375 and as I mentioned, I am not that much interested in doubles. I just love the sound of a rifle bolt opening and closing, shifting a round into the chamber...
Following my normal route of explaining the need for an additional rifle, I will go big and then later fill the gaps in between (still want to have a .416 Rigby and .404 Jeffery) and maybe go really big with the .55o Magnum. This sounds like a really interesting cartridge shooting a 700gr bullet at 2,300 fps at pressures as low as 48,000 psi and it is a completely new design, diameter barrel...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois