What do you use for hunting trophy tags?

Give Tara or Rosella a call at SSI with your taxidermist information here in the states and they will get you set up

Not using a taxidermist here. Just doing bleached skulls and flatskins- they can do that in Africa with no issue I think. I appreciate all the responses guys, think it's all set from here now

I agree with what Beans has said above. You do not need to bring tags, whether you are planning on having the work done in Africa or by your local taxidermist.
What makes the tag system used by outfitters a better system than the laminate ones issued, is that we can write the description of the part of animal on the tag. This makes a big difference when everything is under salt and you are looking for a specific item.
With the laminate tags, you have to take every skin out of the salt to try and figure out what you are looking for, instead of just flicking through the tags with all the info right there.

I'm realizing that we're bickering over different purposes. Feels like that commercial "frog insurance" or "fraud insurance". :)

I have plastic tags on all my trophies because they are picked up out of the salt and me and my PH drop them off at the Taxidermist. The Taxidermist is a gigantic warehouse about the size of a Costco/Sams Club full of thousands of trophies. The purpose of the laminated, durable tags is that they keep my name associated with my stuff. Nothing dissolves off, nothing is lost, nothing gets put in the wrong pile.

I'm not sure what everyone else is trying to accomplish but for me, everything in the salt at camp is mine so I'm not worried about a problem there, I'm solely worried about a problem at the taxidermist between drop-off and the coming days when they begin tanning/bleaching my products.

For this purpose, my PH asks me to bring laminated tags over which I do.

Is there some other logistics/operational purpose I'm missing here with the RSA outfitters that is different than my purposes/needs?

Rookhawk,
Did not read the entire thread, so not sure if there was bickering or not, but here is my explanation.

Whether you are alone in camp, or if there are other hunters in camp, it still makes it easier if there is a space on the tag to write the description of the item under salt. I don't like wet skins going to any taxidermist, and prefer to keep them under salt under my own supervision until I am satisfied. This might overlap hunters leaving and coming into camp, as well as overlap the time that an item is under salt or not before they get collected.
The laminated tags are very good and maybe a little bit too cute for my liking, but they are not entirely practical. Don't get me wrong, they are great, but they miss the most critical information which is the description of the item. Please keep in mind, us PH's are simple people, and look at any item, whether a rifle or a taxidermist tag, for its simplicity and effectiveness. If there is someway to incorporate a space for description, the laminate tags would be perfect.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

@KMG Hunting Safaris I now understand how we are lost in translation.

You as a PH hold on to your client's green hides in the salt beyond their potential departure dates. I'm in fly camp environments and everything comes out of the salt when we bug out and it goes directly to the taxidermist at that point. If the hides aren't ready (occasionally a last day kill may not be), the taxidermist puts them back in the salt.

Your point being I believe, that you don't know exactly what is what if you can't write notes on tags because you have multiple clients and multiple trophies potentially sitting in salt under your care.

Sorry to belabor these points but I was just trying to figure out why a tag discussion got so complicated! I'm now learning that there are processes for some outfitters that create different guidelines.

@KMG Hunting Safaris I now understand how we are lost in translation.

You as a PH hold on to your client's green hides in the salt beyond their potential departure dates. I'm in fly camp environments and everything comes out of the salt when we bug out and it goes directly to the taxidermist at that point. If the hides aren't ready (occasionally a last day kill may not be), the taxidermist puts them back in the salt.

Your point being I believe, that you don't know exactly what is what if you can't write notes on tags because you have multiple clients and multiple trophies potentially sitting in salt under your care.

Sorry to belabor these points but I was just trying to figure out why a tag discussion got so complicated! I'm now learning that there are processes for some outfitters that create different guidelines.

Makes perfect sense. I think just the last 4 posts between you and I, have answered most of what the OP needed to know, which is what this forum is for. Great work @rookhawk. Our work is done here.:D

Locale matters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.