What do you use for hunting trophy tags?

Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
I will not be using a US taxidermist for my trip and I will only be having the skulls bleached and flatskins done. What should I use for the tags that needs to be with animals? What info is necessary? Do I only need one for each skull and each cape or should I have 2 on each? Any pics you have of what you use would be appreciated, thanks!

While I had my trophies done here in the States I had at least 2 laminated tags for each animal. I was using SSI as a importer and they worked with my taxidermist and his tannery and got me enough laminated tags for all my animals. On each tag was my name and address along with my taxidermist name and address and his tanneries name and address. I believe that even SSI's name and address were on them. They also supplied enough plastic cable ties for each tag

You are still going to have to deal with a importer unless you plan on doing the customs dance by yourself so I would suggest to contact them and see what they suggest.

I would not worry about it the place you hunt with will have rages to take them to the place they/ you are going to use and once your things are there they will use their way of tagging them. They are not fans of the labels we bring with us anyway. In the picture below the blue tags on the skulls are the way the place I used to do the ship and dip and it is just your number they use for the trophies.
image.jpeg

I'm using SSI as well, so maybe they can help even without a US taxidermist. I will give it a shot

I would not worry about it the place you hunt with will have rages to take them to the place they/ you are going to use and once your things are there they will use their way of tagging them. They are not fans of the labels we bring with us anyway. In the picture below the blue tags on the skulls are the way the place I used to do the ship and dip and it is just your number they use for the trophies. View attachment 153389
Everything I have read and heard says you need to bring tags yourself. Do you not bring any at all? If this is the case have you ever had any kind of issue?

I have used Coppersmith to import my stuff, they will send you trophy tags for your stuff, as I'm sure SSI will. Best of luck

Hi Albert

The yellow tag that in the top of the picture is what I brought with me. The two with the blue tags came in earlier but the day we brought in the last two they might have been in an envelope in the office but the only one on at that time was there's. The blue ones were still on when they came to the states.
They said no matter how good the ones people bring are they cant hold up in the soaking/bleaching process.
Both my trips went the same with two different companies.

Everything I have read and heard says you need to bring tags yourself. Do you not bring any at all? If this is the case have you ever had any kind of issue?

If you are with a reputable outfitter they will have their own tagging system. We took them on our first trip because we heard it was the thing to do and haven't on subsequent trips. Your outfitter will likely have a taxidermist/dip and pack and shipper he normally works with. Typically it's best not to disrupt that normal flow. The only purpose the tags serve is so that your trophies don't get mixed up with others.

I already have the taxidermy/ dip pack selected which just happens to be both the only place my outfitter uses and someone SSI has dealt with for years. I expect the process to go smoothly given the middleman is used to dealing with both ends. Keeping my fingers crossed! Never thought to ask the outfitter about this since everything I had heard said to bring your own. I will start asking around beginning with the outfitter. Thanks guys!

I use printed laminated cards that my taxidermist conveniently supplies. They have his shops address and both of our contact info on each card.

You are going to enjoy your experience with SSI as a importer. If you are like me you will keep wondering just what else you can do and you will find out that SSI already has it covered.

I do know that if and when I go back they will be going with me as a importer.

PH will have tags and so will your taxidermist!

So weird that I just noticed this now. I just returned from Fedex/Kinkos a few moments ago addressing this issue.

You get yourself some business cards, say 20-30 of them. Go over to Kinkos and for $1.25 each make laminated luggage tags out of all of them. Included free is your "jelly" rubber band thing that attaches them to luggage or whatever.

Each article from the hunt gets one of these affixed so they go quick and you always miscalculate too conservatively. Skulls get them, shoulder mounts get them, panels/hides get them, tusks/teeth/tushes get them, separated legs/hoofs/feet get them.

If you don't want a mess up, don't rely on a PH living in a 3rd world country that doesn't have kinkos around the corner to try and handle all of this. Bring your tags, affix it to all the trophies, be happy when things work out great.

Why plastic laminated tags with plastic looped bands? Doesn't rot. Doesn't get soaked with blood. Doesn't rub off when hides are moved around. Resists salt. Etc.

Total cost for 24 tags: $30.

You do not need to bring any tags. If you hunt with an Outfitter that does not have tags you are at the wrong place!

Every client that brings tags has his name and adress on the one side and that of the taxidermist on the other.

That never made sense to me because you cannot write on it what this is with the tag on.

What is important is that there must be a place on the tag where you can also fill in what animal it is and what part of the animal it is.

We use laminated tags, when are marked with permanent marker.
tmstags.jpg

Thanks guys, currently waiting to hear back from my outfitter, will go from there

The most important thing is whoever does your dip and pack, labels the trophies correctly. Some drill a hole through the horns to attach a tag...it's their policy.

Your outfitter will properly tag the animal and delivery it to your taxidermist. I will ask Wik for you, I just emailed him about 2 hours ago.

Most US taxidermist will give you tags to take if your using one of them. It is just to mark them as yours and have the info in case something happens to the outfitter tags. All four outfits I hunted with had there own tags and do one on skull one on hide. I have seen more then a few that I did not hunt with use cheap tags that have come off at some point and that is were the extra tag is nice to have on your stuff.

It is something that I would not worry about to much and just check how they do it after you get that first animal in the salt. If you don't like what you see you say something nicely and I am sure they will make it right.

The most important thing is whoever does your dip and pack, labels the trophies correctly. Some drill a hole through the horns to attach a tag...it's their policy.

Your outfitter will properly tag the animal and delivery it to your taxidermist. I will ask Wik for you, I just emailed him about 2 hours ago.
I sent him a similar email yesterday but thanks for the help

I use Coppersmith and they supply the tags free of charge.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,