AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
What areas have you hunted in Zimbabwe? What species did you take? How many days? If you have hunted in more than one area how did they compare? For those of you unfamiliar with Zimbabwe you can use these hunting maps as reference.

Zimbabwe Hunting Areas
hunting_zimbabwe.gif

Zimbabwe Major Cities
zimbabwe_hunting.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hunted in the Chewore and Hwange areas of Zimbabwe and taken buffalo as well as a few species of plains game.

While the Hwange area was beautiful in its own right, I was really smitten with the Chewore area. Buffalo were very abundant and I also saw several lions, a leopard and a lot of elephant, including one bull that would have gone 80 pounds per side. This was very much wild Africa, where you listen to lion, leopard and hyena at night.

I would go back there in a heart beat.

Have hunted in most of the areas but today I would probably go with one of the Safari areas on the banks of Lake Kariba, its isolated and the hunting is still very good indeed..Chewore used to be a favorite but today I wouldn't choose to go there, it has to much goverment involvement.

I have hunted the Deka and the Hwange area for buffalo. The Lake Kariba area for buffalo and elephant.

Having also hunted several areas in Zimbabwe I’ve got to agree with ‘Skyline’ about the Chewore hunting concession in the Zambezi Valley. It is by far my favorite place to hunt in Zim. Not only is it ruggedly beautiful, it’s also a very wild and remote area where you will commonly encounter a variety of game including elephant, lion, buffalo and leopard. A truly wonderful place to hunt.

‘Skyline’ said it best; I would return in a heartbeat

buckcurtin

Hunted Matetsi during August 2007. Buffalo, Lion, Elephant, Hyena and loads of plainsgame. Herds of Sable, Kudu, Eland, Impala, Zebra. Outstanding area. Will return!

just curious buckcurtin, there has been a moritirium on lion hunting in Matetsi and Hwange for the last 6 years, how did you get a permit?

Five days in Matetsi in 1983. Buffalo, kudu, sable.

Bill Quimby

Animals seen, not necessarily hunted, sorry my mistake for not being clearer.

Five days in Matetsi in 2005. I shot a Buffalo and a Chobe bushbuck.

I would like to go back for Sable and Eland.

Matetsi and Shangani

I hunted for 10 days in 2008 in Matetsi and another 10 in 2009 (was supposed to be Woodlands, but couldn't go due to trouble there). Took buffalo, zebra, giraffe, impala, waterbuck, warthog (and a baboon) in '08, and tried for a leopard in 09, but couldn't get it on bait during daylight. Did pick up a number of bait animals in '09 as well as a beautiful sable. Saw lots of animals both years, including large lion. Took kudu and wildebeest in Shangani in '09 as well. Both beautiful areas, but Shangani is part of a cattle ranch, so while the fences are low (the animals can jump them with ease), there are fences. Never saw a fence in Matetsi, and in fact the Botswana border was one side of the concession, and it was only a well graded (and patrolled) road.

Would highly recommend both places, but particularly Matetsi. Easy drive from Vic Falls airport, and the falls are well worth seeing once your done (good tiger fishing on the Zambezi as well).

Have hunted the Chowore area for buffalo and then the Bubiana Conservancy with Touch Africa Safaris I have hunted 7 different times. On Mjingwe have taken 2 leopard, eland, sable, waterbuck, 3 kudu, blue wildebeest, bushbuck, warthog, serval, genet, giraffe, impala, klipspringer, duiker, steenbuck, zebra, honey badger, baboon, jackel.

Great place for leopard and buffalo as well as all the plains game species. Awesome lodge overlooking a waterhole.

I have hunted , over the last 15 odd years the following areas
Save Conservancy
Chewore
Doma
Hartley
Bubye
Rutenga/Mwenezi
Beitbridge
Dande
Matetsi(before any land issues)
Tuli Block

Every area has its own special appeal and certain areas are certainly better for certain species than others. This tends to be quite dynamic as populations grow or decline for various reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois