What are you interested in seeing in a promotional hunting video?

Discussion in 'Hunting Videos' started by MarvelAfrica, May 3, 2011.

1. Rohan

Rohan

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa (Limpopo, Free-State, North West, Northern Cape) and Botswana (Tuli Area; Selebi-Pikwe, and Tsabong regions)
    Hey there,

The porcupine stabbing is an absolute no-no in my books. Not the act, because I dont know the story behind it etc, I'm saying that the inclusion of it in a promotional hunting dvd is of no value whatsoever. I dont know what kind of control your client had over what aired in this dvd. The porcupine stabbing is defintely not for a promotional video and could possibly put the production at risk of losing the interest of hunters and clients, rather than promoting the outfit.

Obviously it was an isolated incident and does not reflect commercial hunting or the outfit to any degree. But its not good for hunters, the industry, or the promotion of the dvd and outfit to put that in.

Really, the dvd was great, maybe more scenery and accomodation footage needed but im no expert, im just saying what I think- Dont put footage like porcupine stabbing in there, thats not hunting and viewing it helps no one. It will only fuel our anti-hunting brothers and sisters; when they say that we as hunters are barbaric and mindless then play that peice of the clip out of context...can we argue? Not that anyone has to justify anything.

Otherwise, I would have liked to have seen more about the accomodation, the area, and heard some more input from clients who have hunted there.

Regards,

2. MarvelAfrica

MarvelAfrica AH Senior Member

Member of:
    SA Hunters, PHASA
    Thank you for your opinion, i will keep that in mind..

3. ILCAPO

ILCAPO AH Veteran

Member of:
    Private club on friend's land in Augusta County, Virginia
    Hunted:
    USA (Colorado, Alabama, Virginia)
    I'll throw my two cents in here as well.

I'm hoping to conduct an Africa hunt by 2013. My wife is interested in a photographic safari, but hunting, not so much. She understands I'm a hunter and tolerates it, but isn't crazy about it. Although she understands the need for hunting, she also feels sorry for the animals. As much as I'd like one, I think she'd kill me if I took a leopard. To her, a cat is a cat is a cat. We have three and she'd view it as killing our pets' cousin. LOL!

She would like to see South Africa, doing a safari in Kruger National Park or such and a visit to the Cape. She'll tolerate the hunt, but would want to see a little of what would be available for her. She said she'd probably want to spend one day in the bush with me hunting as an observer, but I can tell you right off it would have to be rather easy travel and a rather short hunting day. A hard, all-day hunt would not work out for her. I've tried hiking with her and it's just not something she's into for more than several hours.

I agree with what many people said herein. More stalking/hunting getting to the animal, and less shooting. Just several actual kills going down, and without any kicking or thrashing about. That turns most women off. It would my wife for sure -- she's Italian. As others have said, it all depends on the audience. If you're in a front of a bunch of hard core hunters, what you have would work. That said, although it was a bit long, I liked the first one more. The second is too short and disjointed. But when you're trying to draw couples where the woman isn't a hunter, which will most likely be the case with most Americans, then you have to play up the other aspects. All the killing on film might work against you. Just some thoughts.

4. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Great video and agree with some of the others, keep some of the shooting but, tone it down just a bit, more animals of coarse. All in all though very well put together in my mind, the porcupine :confused: Naaaa, that's one for people who get into that sort of thing. 9

5. MarvelAfrica

MarvelAfrica AH Senior Member

Member of:
    SA Hunters, PHASA
    Hi Guys, we did another promo version...
    I am still trying to find what works for most :)

What do you think about this one ?

Marcel

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
    Wheels likes this.
  6. Big5

Big5 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
    The original topic here was to seek advice for the content to be contained in a promotional video for HUNTING. I feel some here may be overlooking that. This is not a promo for a ‘photo safari’, nor is it is a promo for a ‘bird watching excursion’ or a ‘honeymoon getaway’ on the white sand beach of an island resort. It is a promo video targeting people with a primary interest in hunting, shooting and harvesting (killing) animals if any are encountered that meet their expectations. And, since the video is the culmination of many hunts, there will quite naturally be much shooting and many kill scenes contained in the short span of the video.

Rarely, if ever, will the content any promo video appeal to everyone. I agree with a few others who feel the porcupine scene could have been left out. But that scene alone did not override the entire purpose of the video for me. I also have never had the desire to shoot a giraffe, or a hippo bobbing around in a river either. My personal preference is to shoot hippos on solid ground. But so what? The giraffe kill scenes and the scenes of hippo being shot in a body of water didn't override the main purpose of the video for me either. To each his own when it comes to hunting interests.

Again, this is a ‘hunting’ promo and it was surely produced to entice a general across the board range of people with an interest in ‘hunting and shooting’. With that in mind I think the video accomplished it quite well.

Just my two cents . . . . and good hunting to you all.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. Wheels

Wheels GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania
    Marcel,

As has been mentioned, it is hard to appeal to everyone. That being understood, I enjoyed both videos.

Is it about time for another video to share with us?:)

All the best.