What animal do you think is the most overrated for the trophy fee? Or daily fees that make it expens

For me it would have to be the cape buffalo. I think when cape buffalo hunts where $5000 years ago....I know a while back that was a fair price. I can't justify all the $10000+ hunts I see, and I tend to see a lot $15000 hunts when you add all the cost up. The only way I could see cape buffalo hunting now...is if I could shoot it as part of a leopard hunt or sable hunt as a extra trophy fee.

I know there are a lot of cape buffalo addicts on here, I'm not stepping on your toes hopefully. I grew up on a farm...both dairy and beef cattle operation, and maybe my hate for farm work (hard labor and low pay) has boiled over to cape buffalo hunting. The cape buffalo remind of unruly cattle.

I have always stated I'm more of a plains game hunter.
sorry , doubled.

Last edited:
For me it would have to be the cape buffalo. I think when cape buffalo hunts where $5000 years ago....I know a while back that was a fair price. I can't justify all the $10000+ hunts I see, and I tend to see a lot $15000 hunts when you add all the cost up. The only way I could see cape buffalo hunting now...is if I could shoot it as part of a leopard hunt or sable hunt as a extra trophy fee.

I know there are a lot of cape buffalo addicts on here, I'm not stepping on your toes hopefully. I grew up on a farm...both dairy and beef cattle operation, and maybe my hate for farm work (hard labor and low pay) has boiled over to cape buffalo hunting. The cape buffalo remind of unruly cattle.

I have always stated I'm more of a plains game hunter.

Enysse,one of our neighbour-hunter is an old butcher.
He told me ,that I have to go away with the damned buffalos.
He killed so many bulls in the slaughterhouses in his carrer,that he would never pay one Euro for a cattle .He means I'm complete stupid.:V Shot:
Foxi

For me its the Red stags people pay obscene amounts of money to hunt on fenced property in New Zealand.

They are fed supplement feed to aid antler growth. As well as being relatively tame and used to vehicles, allowing the owner to drive up to the feeding deer and when in velvet they shoot the antler with shotguns with rock salt replacing the shot to damage and scar the velvet so that more points and mass grow. It is crazy expensive, un-ethical and the frankly they look ridiculous, ugly and nothing like a true wild red stag should.

For me its the Red stags people pay obscene amounts of money to hunt on fenced property in New Zealand.

They are fed supplement feed to aid antler growth. As well as being relatively tame and used to vehicles, allowing the owner to drive up to the feeding deer and when in velvet they shoot the antler with shotguns with rock salt replacing the shot to damage and scar the velvet so that more points and mass grow. It is crazy expensive, un-ethical and the frankly they look ridiculoustetail, ugly and nothing like a true wild red stag should.

I could not agree more! Though you will find we seem to be in a minority. We have the same freak show going on with whitetail on high-fenced properties in the US. Also, these are animals that are typically all too often habituated to humans and feeding stations.

I could not agree more! Though you will find we seem to be in a minority. We have the same freak show going on with whitetail on high-fenced properties in the US. Also, these are animals that are typically all too often habituated to humans and feeding stations.

I have read and seen pictures of the type of Whitetail you are talking about and yes it seems to be the same practice just a different continent.

I think it is a great shame that people place the points a deer scores above all else. I'm not knocking the trophy hunter, but this takes it too far and in my view should be banned. Also, they are so obviously 'farmed' deer, I don't get why people desire them.

They are fed supplement feed to aid antler growth. As well as being relatively tame and used to vehicles, allowing the owner to drive up to the feeding deer and when in velvet they shoot the antler with shotguns with rock salt replacing the shot to damage and scar the velvet so that more points and mass grow. It is crazy expensive, un-ethical and the frankly they look ridiculous, ugly and nothing like a true wild red stag should.

absolute true words.
Here,below, its only a good one ,but not a perversion of a feeded deer.
In hard wilderness they find quick an end to grow,the other ones ,are coming from feeding lodges.
An irreal product of an affluent society.
Foxi
Karpaten Hirsch c.jpg

Last edited:
absolute true words.
Here,below, its only a good one ,but not a perversion of a feeded deer.
In hard wilderness they find quick an end to grow,the other ones ,are coming from feeding lodges.
An irreal product of an affluent society.
Foxi
View attachment 50611

Foxi,

That is a lovely beast and a dream trophy! I can only hope that one day I am able to hang a true wild Red stag of that quality on my wall.

WMH

Enysse,one of our neighbour-hunter is an old butcher.
He told me ,that I have to go away with the damned buffalos.
He killed so many bulls in the slaughterhouses in his carrer,that he would never pay one Euro for a cattle .He means I'm complete stupid.:V Shot:
Foxi

I know a lot of people that think farming is lovely lifestyle and everything, but if people have seen a 1/10 of what I have seen I think they would not envy me at all. My dad liked to do everything the hard way, he finally changed about 15 years back, but that's only after his body gave out on him and common sense started to take hold. I think there are cape buffalo hunts I'd like to do, but they are on the back burner until some other animals are off the list. There are always exceptions to every rule though and I'll leave it at that.

There are a demand for certain hunts and right now; things will not likely change anytime soon either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!