What ammo is best to forget?

In would think that 9.3X62 would be common in some areas as would 303 due to their popularity in days gone by. Those that live in various African countries should be able to con firm or refute this.

I like strange or little used cartridges so would have to rely on the PH if my ammo went missing.

Each year when in RSA I organise ammo to collect from the local dealer perhaps as far as a year ahead for the 318 wr ....... The 8mm remington I have 140 rounds of factory there I managed to purchase a couple of years back .........

So when I fly I have no worries so long as my rifle case turns up.

Actually I have only ever heard of one incidence of a lost suitcase to RSA. Despite asking each place I hunt ........

However was impressed with a guest a couple of years back with whom I shared camp and a few sundowners 2 suitcases 2nd case dies brass and heads ........... respect to that guy .......... as he said if the lodge didn't have a press .......He would find one ........

I always have heard that the most commonly used round in Africa was the 7.62x39 and that more game big and small, more people good and bad have been taken with it than all others. If this is the case, you should have no trouble finding ammo for it even in the most remote corners.

Makes sense.
The worlds best automatic rifle is everywhere.

I brought my 7mm mag last year because of this very issue and left the unused ammo behind. This year I'm bringing my 300WSM because the outfitter has spare ammo at the farm. Why not contact your outfitter and ask what ammo he has on hand?

It's really the last thing to worry about. If your gun or ammo does not arrive you just borrow a gun. Actually since you have to pack the ammo in your luggage if the ammo does not arrive you are really screwed because you have no clothes!
Have fun planning your safari and don't worry about what you can't control.
Regards,
Philip

It's really the last thing to worry about. If your gun or ammo does not arrive you just borrow a gun. Actually since you have to pack the ammo in your luggage if the ammo does not arrive you are really screwed because you have no clothes!
Regards,
Philip

If you are in Johannesburg no problem buying more clothes it will just put you back a day and piss off your outfitter. But a very valid point

Regards,
Philip

I actually took a change of clothes in my carry-on along with a few and wore my hunting boots on the plane. I figured that if the did laundry every day like they said that I could live with just one change of clothing and nothing would be put in jeopardy. I would of just had to use one of the outfitters rifle and ammo.

I am also sure that withing a few days that the airline just might find my luggage and forward it on to me or notify someone to come and pick it up.

Reactions: lcq
I actually took a change of clothes in my carry-on along with a few and wore my hunting boots on the plane. I figured that if the did laundry every day like they said that I could live with just one change of clothing and nothing would be put in jeopardy. I would of just had to use one of the outfitters rifle and ammo.

I am also sure that withing a few days that the airline just might find my luggage and forward it on to me or notify someone to come and pick it up.

that is exactly what I did. obviously great minds think alike

I'd suggest a 458 Lott because for some reason, 458 Win ammo was abundant in Zim along with 375, 3006 and 300.

Everything else was non-existent

Same deal in Namibia .
Went to a couple of gun shops and they both had plenty of ammo in the standard calibres .
I took my 308 and a 100 rounds of ammo .
Might just take the rifle next time and buy the ammo when i get there .
30 06 , 308 ,300 and most of the big calibre 375 , 470 etc were all there .

I have left unused ammo behind as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,