What a GREAT feeling... My girlfriends first hunt!

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Hartzview Hunting Safaris, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Hey guys,

I wanted to share this with you guys as I know most of you are avid hunters and know the feeling of the first time you pulled the trigger....

The past weekend I had the oppertunnity to take my girlfriend that has been with me for 5years now for her first real hunt.... Let me tell you guys, a girl that can accept the working hours of a PH in Africa is not easily found around every corner. There is very little time for family time, weekends away or simply just being at home as every day is a work day if there is clients in camp.

Nobody in her family ever hunted, needles to say when we started dating she just had to like hunting as it is my life, she slowly started liking it by going out with me and clients regurly until a couple of months ago I got the question I was hoping for...... "When can I shoot something?"

This was great to hear so I immediatly set up the .22 to have her practise on pigeons, guinie fowl etc. So she got better and better at it with me giving pointers as we go. So the past weekend everything came together. We did not use the .22 for the hunt, I have a .222 Remington that is very accurate with Barnes X bullets. We had her shoot on a target a couple of times with the .222. She was hitting the middle of the target every time. So it was time to head out.....

We stalked a couple of impala but just could not get a shot in so we moved on to Blesbuck which usually hangs out in more open areas. We stalked through the thick brush up to the edge of the open field on which there were probably about 250 to 300 blesbuck. But they were close to 500yards away as I ranged them with my Leica's.

I then oredered my driver over the radio to drive into the open field above the blesbuck which will (if everything works out the way I want it) push the blesbuck straight to us. As hunting goes most of the blesbuck went the other way... lol So we moved again which was the right thing to do, as we were quitly stalking through the bush to our next ambush point we spotted a nice old ram about 350yards out walking straight towards us. He did not know or suspected a thing, the wind was perfect and the sun was on our backs straight in his eyes. We moved a little closer to the edge of the field and set up by sitting down in the shade of a camel thorn tree.

From here on everyhting worked out perfectly, the ram started feeding towards us and at about 110yards turned perfeclty broadside while feeeding. We had a lot of time so I calmed Monique down and explained exactly where to shoot. As the shot went of I saw the bullet hit just behind the shoulder about a 3rd up the body. I immediatly saw the blood rushing out of the hole where the bullet entered so I know he was dead on his feet. I looked over and I see a very surprised face asking me "Did I get him???". By the time she looked backed at where the blesbuck were standing he was busy going down.... Needles to say the tears started flowing but all out of excitement and joy.... All the practise has paid off and she made the perfect lung/heart shot!

After we were done with photos and our traditions of blood on the face we headed of back home to have a ice cold Castle and the liver freshly cooked on the camp fire while we watched rhino and zebra head down to the waterhole situated in a open flat underneath my house for their afternoon drink with the beautifull African sunset in the background. It simply does not get any better than that.....

M Blesbok.png

M Blesbok2.jpg

Monique Blesbok.jpg

It was a excellent day and I can purely say I enjoyed the moment more than any other I have ever experienced in my hunting career. The only thing that will top this is probably when my kids start hunting one day.......

I hope you guys enjoyed the story and the pictures. I felt this was a great place to share the story among great people and pure hunters around the world and I am very proud to introduce another hunter into the hunting world. (Now it is going to cost me more money I gues.... LOL It is all more than worth it though!)

Thank you very much.

Jacques
  2. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    hey jacques thats great, and congrats to monique. as you say the next best will be your kids. started my boy the same with a .22 and doves and guinea fowl, and when he was ready to move up to bigger things he shot his puku with his .22 hornet. i dont know who was more happy and excited, him or me!! some photos of him with his other animals under my photos. to both of you hope you enjoy a lot more hunting together.:thumb:
  3. timbear

timbear AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SSAA, NZDA
    Hunted:
    Germany, NZ, Australia
    Monique, congratulations to a great first hunt. Jacques, you told the story beautifully and from the heart. I hope you two have many wonderful hunts together!
  4. billc

billc SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    united states canada mexico south africa
    Thats good to hear jacques.Tell hear me and dakota said well done.Maybe see will do some hunting when were back over there again.Remember I told you to marry that girl and now see hunts you have no choice.LOL Plus now there would be a good shot in the family.
  5. fhm3006

fhm3006 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia / South-Africa
    Great story Jacques - i enjoyed reading it.
    Well done and congrats Monique (hope you washed your face soon afterwards (lol))

Jacques,
    you can upgrade her now to a tot Jaggermeister after the hunt.
  6. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    Well done and congrats Monique!:)
    Thanks for sharing this with us Jacques.
    You are really lucky finding a girl like that. She is a keeper for sure. Hurry up and marry her!:)
  7. huntingbigun

huntingbigun AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
    Hunted:
    USA (Fl, Ga, Tn, Kt,Sc, Al, Tx, Nm, Co, Mt, Wy), Canada (Alberta, Manitoba), New Zealand (north & South), South Africa (Kalahari & Limpopa)
    COngrats & outstanding story, better be nice to her she can shoot now:clapping:
  8. Trophy Game Safaris

Trophy Game Safaris AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, NRA, NWTF, RMEF
    Great story, thanks for sharing!
  9. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    Great story! It makes you feel good when you are with some one you love & care for - taking of their first big game animal! It's something that sticks with you forever. I don't know if it means more to yourslf or the person who took the trophy!!
  10. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    That smile says it all!!

Congratulations to both of you on a great day shared!
  11. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Congratulations to you both! Great story!
  12. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    Way to go...the smile says it all...
  13. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Congratulation to both of you, and thanks for sharing !
  14. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Christines first antelope was a Blesbok too and she was extatic, I know just how you feel. Congrats to you both.
  15. monish

monish AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    AfricaHunting.com
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
    Hi Jacques,

:thumb:

Congratulation to Monique & you , it must have had been a great moment to have seen your partner taking her first game species....
    Wonderful hunt report , great photos & the smiles says it allll !!! Thanks for sharing..

Cheers

Monish
  16. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Hey guys,

Thank you very much for all the kind words we truly appreciatte it. And luckily I have the keys to the safe Biggun so at this moment in time I am still in a safe spot..... Dont think I will be to bad of a mount though! lol
  17. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss SPONSOR AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    :rolleyes:Congratualtions boet!!!! just a question thats not the same girlfriend you showed me a picture of a couple of weeks ago is it!!!!!!

Whoops that slipped out.. All joking aside well done you have created a monster I still can't control Lindie's hunting urge, I gues I should not complain I encouraged her to start!

My best always.
  18. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    LoL a lot can change while your in the US for 6 weeks my friend..... Leave with one girl at home, come back and it is a different one! If Monique sees this I will have to defnitely hide that safe key or any sharp objects! hahaha All good jokes though.....

Thank you buddy appreciate it and we can defnitely not comlplain about our loved ones hunting, I think we are very fortunate!

Best regards my friend,

Jacques
  19. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    :wow: ..5 YEARS..?!! Sleg, Boetman, sleg..!

Seriously, I wish you many happy hunts together.