Well I "Bit the Bullet"

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by Buff-Buster, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    As of last Saturday, I am the proud owner of a Sabatti 92 .470 NE. I have been wanting a double my whole life but I couldn't justify the $10,000+ expense of one of the higher end doubles. If I was a PH needing a daily back-up, yes, I would have been able to justify. Anyway, just wanted to share. I'm pretty excited. Thanks to Shakey, I was able to buy a couple of boxes of ammo from him to get started until my dies and misc show up. I purchased it at Cabela's in Buda, TX. They have all Sabatti's on sale, 15% off until Monday April 1st. They were also able to deal on my rifle as someone purchased it, and returned it two days later because they wanted the ejectors not the extractor model. I bought mine, new and unfired (except for regulating) for $3,500! Hell of a deal! This gun was regulated correctly with no grinding marks present. Already planning a return to Africa in 2015 for elephant/buffalo for my 60th birthday!

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

DSC02110.jpg

DSC02113.jpg
  2. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Nice looking gun, congrats.

Looking forward for the pics of that elephant/buffalo hunt !
  3. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    That's a great deal, congrats!
  4. Buff-Buster

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    Thanks guys!
  5. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    Have you gotten some trigger time with it yet?

I got to play with my 577/500's this week end and my wife shot "her" 500/450 too. :D
  6. Buff-Buster

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Not yet Mike. I'm off for Good Friday tomorrow so I'm planning on trying her out!
  7. Jay Kelley

Jay Kelley AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    USA (Kansas, Virginia, Texas)
    Looking forward to future posts - including some trophy pics. I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love to have a double rifle, but can't afford a high end model. I look forward to hearing how things worked out - Planning an Australia buff hunt in 2016
  8. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

Congrats on a great deal Buff-Buster.

You do realize this is going to give you a serious itch to head back this side of the pond :thumb:

Let us know how she shoots.
  9. Buff-Buster

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I'll follow-up after shooting it this weekend. Sabatti has had it's share of controversy, but I think a lot of it is unwarranted. It looks to be very well made. We'll see....
  10. Buff-Buster

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Will do Pete.....By the way, that itch never goes away. The more I go, the more I want to go back.
  11. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

Good to hear the itch is present! ;)
    Have fun with the shoot this weekend
  12. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    The early supply of Sabatti's had some serious issues but the fresh supply has been done correctly. If I were looking for a new one they'd be at the top of the list.
    Does the serial number begin with X?
  13. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Congrats BB, I'm sure you'll be plenty happy with your purchase.

A good freind of mine, who incidently owns a large number of doubles, loves his Sabatti .500 and it has become his go-to-hunting double.

Like yours, it is one without the ground down muzzles which was a major deficiency of the earlier guns.
    Aside from this issue they are sturdy, well made guns sans the frills that come with other makes/models.

If this is your first venture in reloading for a double I urge you to seek good advice on loading for it and especially so on learning to read signs of increasing pressure in your loads.

Double are not bolts and should be loaded with that in mind.

Congrats again on your purchase,

good hunting,

Paul.
  14. DBateman

DBateman GOLD SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SUQ, SCI
    Hunted:
    Australia
    Thats a nice looking rifle you have got yourself there looking forward to hearing how it shoots.
  15. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Thats Awesome Wes! Let us know how she handles, to tell you the truth looking at the Business End I'd say when you pull the trigger its going to hurt like hell. Maybe not :laughing: Pics of the bruises required.
  16. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    btw Nice bar where's the beer.
  17. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    that is one fine looking tool for bustin buffs there bb, and im with bob on the bruise pictures
    enjoy your new firearm mate.
    id truley listen to pauly when it comes to reloading that big canon .
  18. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    While you're waiting for everything to come together order up Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle". It's THE hand book for understanding what's going on with these DR's. The loads you'll want to know are in there as well as the reasons they work as they do.
  19. Arinjit

Arinjit AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    That's a hell of a deal. I have one in the same caliber but with ejectors. You will enjoy it. Unless you have really long arms, you will probably want to shorten the LOP to fit you better. It shoots great with Hornady DGS and DGX.

Wish I was near Cabelas right now. I want another in 450-400 and 9.3x74R.
  20. Buff-Buster

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thanks Paul. I've been reloading since 1977 but never for a double. I'll be sure to study up. I'd love to come try her out on a few of your buffalo!