Waterbuck bowhunting setup

Blink Stefaans

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
I got offered a chance to hunt two waterbuck bulls on a friends game farm.
I would realy like to shoot these animals wih a fletched projectile with something sharp at the bussiness end.
Currently my setup is as follows:
Mathews Z7 Magnum @ 72lbs
29" draw length
415 gr arrows flying at 294fps
Ke 79,5
I have a choice of 3 broadheads all 125gr
Rage chissel tip
Swhackers 2"
NAP Nitron

I would like to know if this set up would be sufficiant for the successfull harvesting of these animals. And which broad head would you suggest i use
Thanks in advance

Blink,

Your bow set up, and arrow weight will be perfect....

As far as broad heads, I know that the first 2 on your list are mechanicals... Not familiar with the 3rd... If at all possible, I would always recommend one of the many compact, heavy duty fixed blade broad heads in 100gr, or heavier. I have nothing against mechanical heads is certain applications, but I am not a fan of them for African plainsgame. Too many variables with them cause overall poor penetration & performance in general. We ask our guests not to bring them unless they want to shoot some varmints and guineas.

Take a look at the Muzzy MX-3 & MX-4, Slick Trick Magnums, Shuttle-T's, or something similar....Best of luck on your hunt!

I agree with Limcroma stay with the fixed blade head!

With that set up just wait until they are side by side and you'll only need to use one arrow and one shot.

Go with the NAP
Unknown.jpeg

Not in love with the tip before the blades but, it is the best alternative of what you listed. :S 2 Cents:

Unknown-1.jpeg

I like the monte G5

Brick burn I have never been able to get any Montec or any broadhead made with mono flow technology razor sharp, I see many comments to that effect on the other bowhunting forums. Do you have any secrets?

I sharpen every one on a stone. Very fine grained.
Also, at 310 FPS there is not much of an issue with penetration.

I used a similar setup on my trip to Africa last year, I tipped my arrows with the Dirt Nap Gear DRT and got full pass throughs on every animal I shot. Assume head and a great trip. Have fun and share pictures.

IMG_0925.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up is more than adequate stick with fixed blades, Nitron would work, Ill also echo BRICKBURN on the G5 montech!

My best always

Dankie Jaco
Think I'll use the Nitrons, also thinking of adding a weight insert and getting my arrows over 450gr just for the extra momentum and added peace of mind.
The mechs are going with for if an impala or pig should walk into shooting range
Will look into the G5's heard tey aren't as sharp out the box as lets say the slick tricks. But also heard they are tough re-useable heads.
Like I said i'm new to this bow hunting thing and will have to find what works best for me, lets just hope trial and error will be without much error as I have only lost one animal in all my years of hunting due to a faulty rifle handed to me by a friend( scope mounting was loose)
Thanks for all the advice, im honestly shaking with anticipation of this hunt, been practicing for a loooong time and I'm confident in my ability.
Got second place at my local 3d shoot last week
All needs done is organising a date, packing my bow and heading off to Limpopo. My dad will be with me on this hunt. He shoot traditional and has represented South africa at the world champs. Once again i'm lucky to have a mentor of such caliber in my corner

try some slick tricks and don't look back. Some of he sharpest blades right out of the package. They have always been one of the best flying broadheads out.

Ok its done. Going to Kressie in Limpopo Saturday. Only have one day so I'll only take one waterbuck. Next one will be in August.
This wont be a trophy hunt. It is young bulls that I will be hunting.
Reason for the young bulls:
Big bull is killing the younger bulls during the rut and my friend says he'll rather sell them cheap than Losing them.
I know some of you will be foaming at the mouth when i tell you that I will be paying R20/kg, thats less than $2 a kilogram dressed.
Gues thats one perk of living in South Africa.
Will post my photos and story after the fact

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you