Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Interesting. ..

Doesn't seem much different than using something like SnoSeal so I don't know why it wouldn't work?

On both my Russells and heavy hunting boots I use Obenauf's Leather Preservative. Dry leather is what makes the water come through. Keep the leather conditioned and the feet stay dry.

Don't know about what Courtney says, but I like mink oil for -40c to plus 40c.

Well, it gave the overall boot a caramel colour. Not at all bad. Walked around in some mid at the range and it was certainly better than before. However, ordered some sno-seal to try. That stuff gets great reviews and if it is the same then it is probably better than using a piece of a toilet fixture...:LOL:

I looked up that liqui-proof stuff. Looks really interesting but I think bees wax has the advantage of nourishing the leather as well. Who knows, maybe my boots will double as bear bait?

If these boots will stay dry then they are my favourite by far. Only in really cold weather would I switch them out.

I looked up that liqui-proof stuff. Looks really interesting but I think bees wax has the advantage of nourishing the leather as well. .

finn got some for suede shoes he got, but as boys do decided to put it on a t-shirt to see if it worked o_O and according to him it worked fine...........:E Big Grin:

If a boot was not designed to be waterproof it will never be.All the stitching holes are perfect capillaries to conduct water droplets inside the footwear.It appears the Courtney is a stitchdown type construction which is made without a welt,the upper leather is simply sewn through to the midsole.Stitchdown construction will never be waterproof without a waterproof membrane such as Gore-Tex.

Wax is generally not the best method of waterproofing leather because it does not absorb into the leather.It stays on the surface and is easily removed.Walking through snow for example will do an excellent from removing it.It also attracts grit which can grind itself into the pores of the leather.

Sno Seal is primarily beeswax and was developed for ski boots.It contains no oils or silicone which enter the pores of the leather and are effective waterproofers but also soften the leather which would be undesirable on a leather ski boot,you want it as stiff as possible that's why they are made out of plastic today.Sno Seal was also used for skates for the same reason.

Thompsons water seal is actually a good waterproofing for leather they actually say so on the can.It fill the pores of the leather and has good staying power.

Aqua Seal is the best I have found.It has silicone and a diluted wax.You apply it and the next day there will be a slight wax haze which easily buffs off.You can actually feel how it 'fattens" the leather with silicone and the diluted wax protects like a coat of wax on your car.Beeswax is too soft and gooey to do that.

In the end Pheroze your Courtney Boots are beautifully crafted but meant to be enjoyed in the dry conditions of Africa and I hope you get to wear them out to tatters there.

Best Regards,
Shoedog

If a boot was not designed to be waterproof it will never be.All the stitching holes are perfect capillaries to conduct water droplets inside the footwear.It appears the Courtney is a stitchdown type construction which is made without a welt,the upper leather is simply sewn through to the midsole.Stitchdown construction will never be waterproof without a waterproof membrane such as Gore-Tex.

Wax is generally not the best method of waterproofing leather because it does not absorb into the leather.It stays on the surface and is easily removed.Walking through snow for example will do an excellent from removing it.It also attracts grit which can grind itself into the pores of the leather.

Sno Seal is primarily beeswax and was developed for ski boots.It contains no oils or silicone which enter the pores of the leather and are effective waterproofers but also soften the leather which would be undesirable on a leather ski boot,you want it as stiff as possible that's why they are made out of plastic today.Sno Seal was also used for skates for the same reason.

Thompsons water seal is actually a good waterproofing for leather they actually say so on the can.It fill the pores of the leather and has good staying power.

Aqua Seal is the best I have found.It has silicone and a diluted wax.You apply it and the next day there will be a slight wax haze which easily buffs off.You can actually feel how it 'fattens" the leather with silicone and the diluted wax protects like a coat of wax on your car.Beeswax is too soft and gooey to do that.

In the end Pheroze your Courtney Boots are beautifully crafted but meant to be enjoyed in the dry conditions of Africa and I hope you get to wear them out to tatters there.

Best Regards,
Shoedog

Thanks and I too hope to wear them down on multiple trips!!

Looked this stuff up and will try it if the toilet ring and sno-seal fail! I know these will not make Courtney's something they ain't. I just don't want the damp morning dew or muddy ground (here or in Africa) stop me from wearing them. They took a while for the leather to properly break in but now they are like slippers. A very simple design that seems to work.

Montana Pitch Blend!! I pair of Danners lasted 15 hunting seasons....

Actually, there was a time when toilet rings were 100% beeswax and they were the basis for many a recipe you'd have heard of from English Stock Finish (along with slacum and alkanet root and venetian turpentine)

Another recipe using them was oil cloth water proofing recipes. (Filson, Barbour, Outback, etc.).

What I did to waterproof my Courtney's without them getting oily or sticky was to use "Pecard Leather Dressing". I apply it very thick on a very hot summer day and let it absorb. It will minimally discolor the leather if at all and it rejuvenates the hides. Does not have a smell either which may be important for hunting footwear.

Use a hair dryer to heat the boot up and apply Snow Seal or Hubbard's Boot Grease.

Went on a four hour hike in the conservation area. It was -5c and snowy. The toilet ring trick worked great! Just doubled up old fashioned wool socks (the thin ones with the red toes) and the snow wasn't too deep! Feet are dry and not cold. Boots are starting to take on moisture. I am sure there are better choices lol, but I think they will do fine in the zombie apocalypse.

I want to give the Montana Pitch Blend a shot now too.

I'm a big fan of Obenauf's like I said earlier and the Pitch sounds fairly similar, but just wondering if the pitch will make it last longer?

I want to give the Montana Pitch Blend a shot now too.

I'm a big fan of Obenauf's like I said earlier and the Pitch sounds fairly similar, but just wondering if the pitch will make it last longer?

I ordered some Montana Pitch-Blend. I like what I read and it is not expensive. The shipping was almost the same price! I think the bees wax is the real protection for these various formulations but I was curious about the pitch too. I am sure it will be nicer on the leather than my toilet ring :rolleyes:

My dad made up a waterproofing mixture using rendered deer fat, kerosene, and bees wax. I still remember him cooking in on the stove in the kitchen.

To apply it we would place our leather boots onto a piece of news paper on the oven door with the oven turned to a very low heat to warm up the boots. I would then remelt the mixture and apply it with a small paint brush and then place the boots back onto the oven door. Once all that mixture soaked into the leather I would repeat it until no more would soak into the boot.

I have yet to find anything yet that will last as long or is as good and inexpensive as that mixture was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg