Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF DU SCI NRA
Hunted
CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
Tell me your thoughts on 30/06 for kudu.

With a good 160 to 180gr bullet,excellent choice. I always used my .308 with 168gr bullets until I became a one-rifle (.375) hunter.

From my observations: Kudu are not heavily built animals. They appear tall and lanky. They have thin skin and there bones do not appear to be very heavy. A 30/06 is plenty of gun for Kudu. I know from personell experience they cant take an arrow buried into the oppisite shoulder :D

Well my thoughts have been posted here before and in my experience Thunder head has it right. They aren't that thick, tough or solid.

Hemingway was right and he also had a good safety margin. No doubt the .30-06 was also what he had at the time.

The 30-06 is fine for kudu. Go with a heavier bullet and you will be fine.

The 30-06 with good bullet selection is a great round for your use.

From my observations: Kudu are not heavily built animals. They appear tall and lanky. They have thin skin and there bones do not appear to be very heavy. A 30/06 is plenty of gun for Kudu. I know from personell experience they cant take an arrow buried into the oppisite shoulder :D

+1.

BARTFRNCS

The 30-06 is even an better round now than it was in Hemingway's day. With new bullets and powders it shoots flatter and penetrates deeper. I 've never felt under gunned with my '06. As for kudu I shot my last and largest kudu with a plain vanilla Mod 700 Remington 30-06 with the Federal 180 TSX load. One shot just piled him.

Mark

I killed mine with a .30-06 with a 180-grain NP. It went about 20 yards.

I have found the Kudu to be one of the softer animals to kill in Africa, much easier to put down or stop than say a bull elk, more on the order of a Mule Deer.

I have found the 02 with the 180 and 200 gr. Nosler partitions to be suitable for Eland in every respect.

Caliber has never been an issue with me, more important is proper bullet selection and bullet construction combined with proper placement is the key to success within reason..Thus my love affair with the 7x57 Mauser caliber. I have seen it used successfully on most African animals including elephant with heart shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.