Warthog shoulder mount - real tusks or replicas

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Bill A, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Bill A

Bill A New Member

Guys I just got back from my first African safari and I was fortunate enough to bag a very large warthog. I am having a shoulder mount done but I am considering using replica tusks and keeping the real ones out as a separate trophy. What do you think? Real or replica in the mount.

2. CAustin

CAustin AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    That is exactly what I did and glad that I did. I have the upper tusks in a shadow box and had the lower ones capped in silver to hang around my sons and my neck.

3. CAustin

CAustin AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Capricorn taxidermy is making a replica of my lioness skull to use in the mount. Mike over there is cleaning and polishing the skull to put on my desk. I think that will be a great conversation starter.

4. PeteG

PeteG AH Enthusiast

Replica's in the mount and real ones in a display case of some sorts that is small enough to sit on a desk/coffee table etc

5. All-American Taxidermy

All-American Taxidermy AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, NWTF
    Hunted:
    Canada, Namibia, South Africa
    Yes, that is the way to go if you have an animal that is one for the books or is unusual- have a replica of the tusks or horns made to go into the mount, then real tusks or horns back onto the skull or display stand.