Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I can not find any other mention of this permit or encounters with it on AfricaHunting.com. Since I have obtained so much useful information from this site I would like to make sure some fellow hunters manage to keep there guns when they travel.

Apparently a few years back the ATF decided to stop issuing in transit permits for firearms, for us non-US citizens when we travel through US airspace. So, it is now being left to the State Department.

Here is the response I got from the DDTC Response Team. (Directorate of Defense Trade Controls). Which was quick proficient and helpful in providing the following response:

"Previously, ATF issued temporary import permits for this purpose, but ceased to do so after 9/11, and required DDTC to issue DSP-61 temporary import licenses for these transits. Since the DSP-61 can only be applied for by a US person registered with DDTC, you will have to find a registered exporter who can handle this for you. Some are listed on the web. You might start with the Gunbroker.com

The only other alternative is to find a routing to S. Africa which by-passes the US."

Having already purchased my ticket to transit through the USA I followed the advice and contacted some registered exporters.
I was informed that it was a $250 USD application fee to the State Department, no matter whether you were actually conducting defense trade or just trying to fly through the country on your way to Africa, along with a $250.00 processing fee for the registered export company who you are required to use.
I have no idea who long this would take to process. I am transporting my gun with a friend who will not be going through the US and now I will be renting a rifle for part of my trip (the other alternative).

SO, FAIR WARNING. ANYONE FLYING TO HUNT DO NOT PASS THROUGH THE USA.

Brickburn, I have not done the research either since I'm a U.S. citizen...If the above is true I'm sorry my country has let hunters down again...there have been a ton of changes since 9/11 and some of them make no sense...the people who enact laws a lot of times don't think of everything when they put regulations in place...I assure you if money was going out of their pockets, they would have paid more attention to detail. I have heard out of country hunters tell me the US is not friendly anymore to foreigners bringing or transporting their firearms through the U.S. . All I can say is I don't agree with a lot of what our government has done lately...but everyone is afraid of terrorists and what not....it sucks....and would avoid carrying a gun into the U.S.

Hi Brickburn,
Thanks for the warning. I have brought several guns/rifles into the US over the last couple of years. The last time was in October 2010. I phoned the BATF in Wash. DC and they faxed me a form to fill out. I filled out the form and faxed it right back. I immediatly phoned the same girl I was speaking with previously and she checked over my form to look for mistakes so that I could correct them if nessasary. She then processed my form and I recieved my permit in about 3 weeks. I presented my form at customs when entering the US.
Any time I have presented my firearms permit, I have found that the normaly stern customs officials become friendly and genial.I have done this several times and will be doing it again in January.
If I am missing a step or a permit, no one has picked up on it.
I don't have time to look for my permit to give more detail but the BATF will be very helpful with this ifo. The permits are good for 1 year so I usualy put several guns on the permit in case I have an unexpected hunt come up in the US or have to travel through the US to get to another destination.If I am doing somthing wrong, no one has picked up on it yet.
When I am lucky enough to hunt in Africa, I find it much easier to borrow or rent a firearm. It's not hard to import guns into most African countries, but it just makes for one less worry. Any gun that I have borrowed or rented has been at least as good as or better than what I have in my cabinate.
Thanks again for the warning. I think it will only aply when traveling through the US. I will keep this in mind.
Cheers and Merry Christmas, Mike Egan

Well Diamondhitch managed to get through with his firearms this summer (2011) without incident.
He spent an incredible amount of time researching to find out if he was going to encounter a problem with this law.

If you do go through the USA do not ever take possession of your firearm. Get a staff member or the airline or airport staff to haul it around. Never, take possession of it. (touch it) while in transit.

Apparently, this is a law that may or may not be enforced depending on whom you run into on any given day.
So, if you are going to be strictly legal. You will need this permit. It sounds like they typically don't enforce it though. Although, I am not going to go through the lottery of finding out whether or not my favourite rifle will end up confiscated.

I shipped my firearms through Amsterdam this trip just to make sure and will be flying that way or through Frankfurt from now on. (Less silly flight changes too)

Yep no problems. It was not a matter of them selectively enforcing it though, there simply is no permit required for firearms "in transit". The ground crew knew the requirements well, unlike the head office types who were indecisice piains in the a$$!!!

The key to going through with no problems is this. Show your knowledge and preparedness and no questions will be asked. When they ask about permits I stated "Since I will be transiting the US without taking posession of my firearms neither a DSP-61 or ATF-6 permit applies. I have my Canadian export permit right here (present it to them) and South African permits are not issued until after the rifles enter the country but I have my pre-clearance completed (Air 2000)" At that point they simply want to see that the serial # match and you are on your way.

As Brickburn has stated DO NOT TAKE POSESSION OF YOUR FIREARMS WHILE IN THE US! This cannot be understated. This however does not include the area inside the Customs and border protection area upon your return from Africa. At this point you will enter Customs and make your usual declarations and also declare that you are travelling with a firearm and they will not it on the sheet they give back to you and you will collect your firearm and walk 30' to recheck it, all the while remaining in the Customs and Border protection area. Repeat what you said on the way down, recheck serial numbers and you are on your way, no hassle or problems. Actually you will probably be the only one in the firearms line and will then walk past the big lineup of passengers still waiting to recheck thier bags.

Taking posession of your firearms at the regular baggage carousell in the arrivals area or from the airline itself is a big no-no. At that point you have illegally imorted a firearm into the US. Something I highly reccomend avoiding! The only time you may have to deal with this is on extended layovers due to cancelled flights when the airline tries to give you your luggage back and simply leaving your guns on the carousell and notifying the Customs and Border protection agents will get everything straightened out with no problems and more importantly no handcuffs!!!

Long story short I found it to be very easy, safe and far simpler than travelling through europe. I will do it again.

Thanx for the info!!!

Yep went from Toronto through JFK and onto Johannesburg last June. This year will be going through Frankfurt or Amsterdam. Less hassles with firearms.

Apparently this has been addressed directly and updated, at least for Canadians. Yeah!
(Four years later.)

Permit to transit the U.S. with a firearm/ammunition
If I am transiting the U.S. with a firearm, do I need a permit?

Generally, if a nonimmigrant alien is transiting the United States with a firearm they are not required to have an ATF Form 6NIA or a DSP-61 issued by the State Department. You must be in physical possession of your firearm, however you will need to meet one of the exceptions outlined at 18 U.S.C. 922 (y). For example if you are a nonimmigrant alien and you will be driving through the United States as a short cut to get from one part of Canada to another and will have firearms with you, you do not need to file an ATF Form 6NIA because you are not temporarily bringing your gun in for hunting or other lawful sporting purposes. You also do not need a DSP-61 import license from the State Department because there is an exception to their license requirement that applies in this situation.

However, please note that even if you qualify for one of the exceptions from the ATF and State Department requirements, you may need to have a valid hunting license from a State within the United States to make your possession of the firearm legal while you are in the United States (even if you will not hunt while in the U.S.). NOTE: Canadians are no longer required to have a hunting license to just transit the United States with a firearm. However, if while transiting the United States, you want to use your firearm to hunt in the United States, you must obtain a valid hunting license from the appropriate State.

You must ensure there are no State or local laws in any State you will be travelling in or travelling through prohibiting your possession of the firearm(s) or ammunition.

For more information, Contact ATF.

Hi Brickburn,

My Canadian trap shooting friends are having a difficult time in getting there USA permit for there trap guns to drive to Arizona.

They indicate it is taking longer each year to obtain the permit.

Hi Brickburn,

My Canadian trap shooting friends are having a difficult time in getting there USA permit for there trap guns to drive to Arizona.

They indicate it is taking longer each year to obtain the permit.

I have found the opposite until this year. My permits have been processed in under two weeks.

This year I added a couple of rifles to my 6NIA application and it has taken much longer.
We'll see.

I found mine this year was quite quick and painless, I was impressed. The time before I was not able to get one in time, I ONLY applied 5 months ahead.

I found mine this year was quite quick and painless, I was impressed. The time before I was not able to get one in time, I ONLY applied 5 months ahead.

Just got my 2014 NIA emailed to me. 22 Days from submission.

Mine last fall was around 2 weeks, still 22 days I can live with.

I can not find any other mention of this permit or encounters with it on AfricaHunting.com. Since I have obtained so much useful information from this site I would like to make sure some fellow hunters manage to keep there guns when they travel.

Apparently a few years back the ATF decided to stop issuing in transit permits for firearms, for us non-US citizens when we travel through US airspace. So, it is now being left to the State Department.

Here is the response I got from the DDTC Response Team. (Directorate of Defense Trade Controls). Which was quick proficient and helpful in providing the following response:

"Previously, ATF issued temporary import permits for this purpose, but ceased to do so after 9/11, and required DDTC to issue DSP-61 temporary import licenses for these transits. Since the DSP-61 can only be applied for by a US person registered with DDTC, you will have to find a registered exporter who can handle this for you. Some are listed on the web. You might start with the Gunbroker.com

The only other alternative is to find a routing to S. Africa which by-passes the US."

Having already purchased my ticket to transit through the USA I followed the advice and contacted some registered exporters.
I was informed that it was a $250 USD application fee to the State Department, no matter whether you were actually conducting defense trade or just trying to fly through the country on your way to Africa, along with a $250.00 processing fee for the registered export company who you are required to use.
I have no idea who long this would take to process. I am transporting my gun with a friend who will not be going through the US and now I will be renting a rifle for part of my trip (the other alternative).

SO, FAIR WARNING. ANYONE FLYING TO HUNT DO NOT PASS THROUGH THE USA.
I just came across PHOENIX PHIL's introduction post (http://www.africahunting.com/threads/hello-from-phoenix.516/#post-1306) and had to look up BRICKBURN's first post, which I believe is this one… How funny that BRICKBURN is so consistent that his first post was so detailed and informative. Now with far more posts than me and please let's not compare how many likes he has…
Thank you BRICKBURN for being such an important and integral member of the site, you have given and done so much for our community. I'm glad to have you here and as a friend. :D

It's a personality disorder. Honest.

As far as personality disorder go I think it is a pretty good one to have! I may have little of that too but I'll leave it to a professional to diagnose…

It is interesting to look back and see that I really shared my philosophy about this site. I got plenty of good information that helped me and wanted to repay the "favour" or pay my dues.

Still think the same thing. Keep those reports and information coming from anyone. I'll keep learning.

I appreciate my friendship with you very much with both you and Mrs. J.

Closer to the OP content:

I have learned more about governments having legislation on the books that they choose not to enforce for a variety of reasons. This is one of those permits they just don't bother enforcing. Thank goodness.

This is so similar to last years introduction of the firearms registration process my American compatriots were going to be forced to complete to take their guns out of the country.
The legislation and policy is present, just not being enforced now. Only after scaring the hell out of everyone with a planned trip.

Also, similar to the Frankfurt police choosing to start a permit process for transiting. Catching that one and sharing it. Now it is defunct. In the end, they did not want the headache.
It was interesting digging in foreign language (German) and also getting help from my fellow German members here on AH in the translation.

The honest helpfulness of members is what keeps this forum positive and useful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross