WANTED: Recommendations for Lord Derby Hunt in Cameroon 2016

I would go with the .416, they are big animals that tend to live in thick brush, add in the price tag. I would take the larger caliber with a good bullet.

I work with a very good outfitter and his reasonable cost for the LDE is right at $35,000 USD.

I booked with Arjun for a mixed bag hunt in Burkina Faso and found him to be a man of his word and other than language issues our hunt went very well and all was as promised. He has LDE hunts priced well below others I have reviewed. He will be in Dallas. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I booked with Arjun for a mixed bag hunt in Burkina Faso and found him to be a man of his word and other than language issues our hunt went very well and all was as promised. He has LDE hunts priced well below others I have reviewed. He will be in Dallas. Good luck.

I have hunted with Guav Johnson, a Zimbabwean PH, for Bongo in Cameroon. He also hunts Lord Derby, in both cases for Mayo Oldiri Safaris. He is one of the best PH's I have hunted with, and I intend to go back and get the LDE with him in the next few years (when I arrived in the jungle, I ran into Jim Shockey who was leaving on the plane that brought me in and he told me Guav was "one of the top 3 PH's" he'd hunted with). Not 100% on Mayo Oldiri, though they are fine, just not great, but they have some excellent concessions and in my view you go for the PH.

As for the gun, I'd listen to the PH you will be hunting with, but if I had a choice - and you didn't say this was one of yours - I'd go for a .375 H&H. It may not be jungle in LDE country, but the bush is pretty thick, and you want a bullet that can handle some brush. I'd find the .300 a bit light, but not inadequate if you had to bring it. Equally, the .416 is a bit heavy - you'll be carrying it for long days in high heat - and is more power than you need, and perhaps not quite the flat trajectory at the distances you'll probably be shooting at. But if I had to take one, it would the .416. Just my opinion.

I have to ask if anyone knows why hunts in central Africa seem to be so expensive (LDE and Bongo). I imagine it has to do with the lack of infrastructure in these countries but I am just curious.

Also, I remember reading an article a few weeks ago about plans to bring LDE to South African game farms. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks,
Nick

I have to ask if anyone knows why hunts in central Africa seem to be so expensive (LDE and Bongo). I imagine it has to do with the lack of infrastructure in these countries but I am just curious.

Supply and demand plus the logistics of getting to and operating in these remote areas is far greater than in more developed countries.

The cheapest LDE hunt would have to be unguided..I went in May 2014 ane didn't get an Eland but it was the only way I could afford to hunt this incredible animal.Cow herders were illegally grazing the mountains which pushed the Eland out.I did manage to harvest a North-western Buff and Roan which was great but still dream about the Lord of the Savannah....one day

DIY LDE??? how does that work? I didn't even know it was possible.

Cameroon is the last place in Africa that you can go on an unguided hunt and if you want adventure it's right there for you mate.:)

Well thanks to this thread and recommendations I have booked LDE next February through Arjun Reddy....I'll let you know how I get on!

Oh ya, take tons of pics. Definitly on my bucket list

Well thanks to this thread and recommendations I have booked LDE next February through Arjun Reddy....I'll let you know how I get on!

Have read nothing but good reports on hunts booked through Arjun, looking forward to your report!

Hey did you ever end up booking a trip?
sure did, I went with Safaris Chelet. I got hunt booked through Adventure Unlimited. My dates are the first two weeks of Feb. 2016. thanks

I am soooo jelous. I hope you guys have great hunts. Take tons of pics and be sure to give a full report when you get back. I hope you and Environ get the trophies of your dreams!

Man would I love to hunt LDE!

sure did, I went with Safaris Chelet. I got hunt booked through Adventure Unlimited. My dates are the first two weeks of Feb. 2016. thanks
I go with Chelet to hunt LDE in Kourouk/Chelet Block 24 starting Feb, 8 2016. Where are you booked?

The cheapest LDE hunt would have to be unguided..I went in May 2014 ane didn't get an Eland but it was the only way I could afford to hunt this incredible animal.Cow herders were illegally grazing the mountains which pushed the Eland out.I did manage to harvest a North-western Buff and Roan which was great but still dream about the Lord of the Savannah....one day

I would love to hear about this hunt!

reply to hastreng not sure of block, only know Kourouk. Hunt starts Jan.30. Are you going to Dallas in Jan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongduongcomvn

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois