Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
I would like to hunt two different biomes in Northern Namibia. The bleak desert, and the wet Caprivi. Is anyone offering both? I could bring extra hunters who would target most anything, but my goals would be photo, exceptional plains game, buff, hippo, or happy with camping and looking. I WILL go to Africa this year...........May-Sept, question is where.......appreciate any suggestions.... as I find little on the net.....regards and Thanks................FWB

Bushwhack beat me to it... I would also suggest Karl Stumpfe at Ndumo Safaris

The wet Caprivi area can be seen (but not hunted) from Chobe Game Lodge in Botswana. I was there earlier this year on a photo Safari and posted this report:
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/botswana-chobe-photo-safari-aug-2015.23742/#post-214917.

Touring with the Lodge, you will boat the Chobe and drive in tour vehicles maybe 10 miles up and down the river and maybe 2 or 3 miles inland. It gets very arid, very quickly, once you move away from the river. A 2 or 3 night stay there is ideal.

I hunted in June in central Namibia with Joof and Marina Lamprecht (Hunter's Namibia Safari: http://www.huntersnamibia.com/). This was just a couple of months before Joof's passing. Joof's and Marina's son, Jofie, has his own separate business and does both hunting (DG & PG) in the North of Khaudum area and photo safairs all over: http://jlsafaris.com/

Thnx guys.....................I have contacted Jofie, Van Heerden's, and will contact Stumpfe. Looked at material from Chobe Game Lodge, but two country destinations will become very difficult after the June law change, so will confine it to one country, and want to see more of Namibia. Again, thanks.............................FWB

............... but two country destinations will become very difficult after the June law change, .................................FWB

To which change are you referring Bill? (Perhaps it's to early for me)

Same old, same old Brickburn..........................customs at Dulles informing me that June 1, 2016 the oft discussed law would be enforced, and a firearm can only be taken to ONE country. Maybe still time to stop it, delay it, etc.........................Bill

Same old, same old Brickburn..........................customs at Dulles informing me that June 1, 2016 the oft discussed law would be enforced, and a firearm can only be taken to ONE country. Maybe still time to stop it, delay it, etc.........................Bill

Bill,

Westfalen is one of the sponsors here and they are located in northern Namibia. All the best with your decision and hunt.

I'm not sure if I understand your above post. Maybe I am out of the loop, your saying US customs said firearms could only go to one country.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Interesting. Better look into this.
Did they give you a source?

Customs did say this to me at Dulles.....as of June 1......no more RSA/MOZ or RSA/NAM.......I will look at Westfalen............thnx.....FWB

Customs did say this to me at Dulles.....as of June 1......no more RSA/MOZ or RSA/NAM.......I will look at Westfalen............thnx.....FWB

Perhaps it is about the smuggling rules of small arms.
That new (AES) export permit that fell on its face earlier this year.
Maybe they will have it ready in June 2016

Stopping you from visiting multiple countries?? I think there is a confused flunky at Dulles.

I'll await an announcement that they have a proper system in place.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...s.---temporarily-taking-a-firearm,-rifle,-gun,

I wrote this request about a month and a half ago. Basically, wanting to see some different country. Have been to Namibia, but not to the very North. Perhaps it was an unrealistic request. I received no replies from PH's or agents. A few kind recommendations from fellow hunters....3 in fact. I followed up on two.
Why?
When the dollar is strong, no one is interested in providing a two locale hunt in Namibia?
Timing, maybe. The SCI shows in the offing, people too busy?
A little better economy in Namibia? Hunts already oversubscribed?
Bad wording? Poorly written? I have done that a lot of times.
I am now re-focusing on another new territory: Mozq or Zambia. Will write another quierry.
Simply writing this note to ask for input for my Zambia or Mozambique questions........good places for Sable or Buff...a lot of good experience to tap here.......................
BTW..................................................the hunting season closed today (goose) and for the first time in 45 years, I fired no shots..........nothing really good this year......perhaps Selena Gomez will call this evening..................(again).........................FWB

I am astounded that you had no replies. Outfitters need to learn from this. Someone lost an opportunity for a hunter. I normally receive the courtesy of a return e-mail to an enquirey. Best of luck Bill. If you want to do Botswana for Chobe and then hunt there I may have already for you. Bruce

Jammy Traut is the guy who could make this happen.

Flatwater Bill, maybe your email to me got lost, stuck in my spam or something else, but I have not received such a query? Anyhow, if still interested, please send me an email to karl@huntingsafaris.net and we can discuss.

Kind regards
Karl

FWB,
Maybe the fact that no one replied, points that there was certainly a problem with the delivery of the emails.
Send Karl Stumpfe another email. Ndumo Hunting Safaris is the way to go.

Thormahlen & Cochran Safaris - you might contact Peter with your request
Peter@africatrophyhunting.com

I'm doing the exact trip with my family in June. He will pick us up in Livingstone after viewing Victoria Falls then drive to his concession in the Caprivi for a few days. Once we finish there we head west to the desert. Finally then south to Walvis Bay and ultimately Windhoek.

Thormahlen & Cochran Safaris - you might contact Peter with your request
Peter@africatrophyhunting.com

I'm doing the exact trip with my family in June. He will pick us up in Livingstone after viewing Victoria Falls then drive to his concession in the Caprivi for a few days. Once we finish there we head west to the desert. Finally then south to Walvis Bay and ultimately Windhoek.

JES: Have you used Thormahlen & Cochran Safaris before? Sounds like you have, so would be interested to hear your feedback. I recently received a very negative report, which could be just an isolated case. A good friend on mine brought a group of several hunters, all from the US, in 2014. Contracts and details were agreed upon at the DSC. Many of the agreed upon items in the contract were not delivered. Also, none of the trophies have left Namibia yet and all they were doing was the basic dip and pack. For my friend, this was his first African safari and it left him with a very negative impression. I was trying to get him to come on a hunt with me and he said it would be awhile before he'd book another hunt in Africa. Clearly a bad experience and quite frankly a rarity in my opinion. This website does a good job of promoting the good outfitters and PH's, but we are doing a disservice if we don't also point out the bad. It's a touchy subject and don't want to wrongly accuse an operator based on rumor or innuendo. I just know my friend is a pretty well travelled and experienced hunter and his first trip to Africa might also be his last.

I have known and hunted with Peter since 2007 and can honestly say he's always over delivered. That is why I have entrusted him with this special safari in June for my family which marks my 30th anniversary hunting Africa. In addition, I have referred several of my friends to him over the years all with positive, successful experiences.

I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience, what I've learned after 24 safaris is there's always two sides to the story. I can say without doubt I consider Peter an honest man so if there is an issue I'm sure he will work it out in a fair and amicable way. If trophies haven't left country it sounds like a financial issue. I've never known a PH to ship trophies until a bill is settled, that's their only collateral to get paid.

Finally, I do not wish to call names or dredge up the past but in those 24 safaris I've definitely had some less than perfect. Back in 07, I booked a 28 day safari in Tanzania with a PH who had been named Outfitter of the year by SCI. Here's the outcome - no elephant but I did pass 5 bulls under 45 pounds, no lion spotted over 3-4 years of age, no buffalo! Basically a $100,000+ leopard plains game safari! The outfitter said to me "well, that's hunting Africa" and he's still in business today.

I see you're a regular here, look back in July as I will be reporting on the 6 week, 3 country family safari.

Finally, I recommend your friend keep an open mind and continue to dialogue with Peter on the issues. I'm confident there'll be a good outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg