WANTED: Looking for 2016 Red Stag Hunt

gozz21

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking for a 2016 red stag hunt. I am hunting and she is observing and taking pictures. would like to hunt 3-4 days and am looking for a red stag 320-360 SCI. Also am interested in Arapawa Ram and maybe fallow deer. We also want to do some touring so if that is included that would be great or else we can rent a car and travel on our own after the hunt. Email me at [redacted] with more information

Thanks
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great hunt with Peter Chamberlin of Kiwi Wilderness Safaris. His prices are VERY good. I checked with a dozen companies and he was as good as or cheaper. I had a great hunt. Read my hunt report here:
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-new-zealand-hunt.16500/#post-132187

If you have questions I may be able to answer them. Peter also responded well to my E-mails. Bruce

Jason, Red Stag are all over the world. Where did you want to hunt?
I assume NZ because of that Sheep, but....
Hope you find what you're after.

Yes we are looking for NZ hunts. The other animals are not a focus just something I may be interested in if there is time and the price is right. Main focus is red stag and keeping the wife happy!!!

Keeping the wife happy..... Smart man!!!! You are already ahead of the game. Good luck. Yes, NZ is premier spot for the Stags.

My wife and I are looking for a 2016 red stag hunt. I am hunting and she is observing and taking pictures. would like to hunt 3-4 days and am looking for a red stag 320-360 SCI. Also am interested in Arapawa Ram and maybe fallow deer. We also want to do some touring so if that is included that would be great or else we can rent a car and travel on our own after the hunt. Email me at [redacted] with more information

Thanks
Jason
I highly recommend Shane Quinn with Alpine hunting New Zealand. The best red stag on the island. Hunted with them last year lodge/people/food/guides outstanding. Check out his web site and his trophy packages. I assure you, you will be impressed. You can see my red stag next to me in my photo here. I shot a nice fallow also. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommend Gary Herbert (nzhuntingsafaris.com) on the South Island of New Zealand. My girlfriend and I hunted with Gary last March. Gary has access to all of the animals on the South Island. His lodge and staff are outstanding, and they provide daily trips to surrounding tourist highlights for spouses and hunters that have filled out. After my hunt, we rented a car and spent 3 weeks touring the South Island. My hunting pics are posted on my photo album.

Second the reference on Gary Herbert. Hunted with him with my wife and children and it was amazing

Gary runs a first class operation by all reports. Your silver medal stag and 5 days hunting will run $7000 with him per his web site. Same hunt with Pieter is $4500. Pieter will be a little less luxurious. For me the savings was very much worth it. Bruce

HI Peter,

hope you are well, i have some very good outfitters I work with in NZ, i sent you an email in regards to it

Thanks for all the replies. Right now I am still doing some research and the wife is too busy with the holidays. After Xmas we are going to sit down and call some of these outfitters and ask them to send pictures of stags and accomodations and such. I am hoping to be booked a year in advance so I can start looking for flight deals and saving my pennies. How does everyone get the cape and antlers back from NZ? Is it similar to Africa where you go to a taxidermist for dip and pack and then shipped to you?

When I hunted with Alpine hunting NZ Shane Quinn he had folks pick up everyone's trophies right there in camp. They coordinated with Fuana and Flora who I used at the time as my import/export clearing agent. Took almost 4 months to get it back to the states. If you are looking for a very nice place to stay check out Alpine hunting NZ face book page it shows alot of new work he just did to the lodge. They have excursions for the wife also should you choose to go hunting and not join her. Keep in mind hunting in NZ most of the time you will be done in 3/4 days. So you could do some sight seeing also. With the price of gas coming down we are all hoping to save some money on flights. I booked my flight to NZ 8 months in advance. I will be booking my flight to Namibia very soon for my August hunt. Good luck no matter who you hunt with.

For an extra $100 Peter did the prep work on my capes and had his wife meet me at the airport with them. I brought them back as luggage. I'd lots rather bring them back with me like that. It was either $50 or $100 as extra luggage. No problem with customs. Save another $1000 and do it yourself. Bruce

For an extra $100 Peter did the prep work on my capes and had his wife meet me at the airport with them. I brought them back as luggage. I'd lots rather bring them back with me like that. It was either $50 or $100 as extra luggage. No problem with customs. Save another $1000 and do it yourself. Bruce
Didn't think you were allowed to bring antlers back on the airlines.

Peter had suggested that I bring them back. So I brought a heavy duffle bag. The skull cap was split so the antlers would lay together better. Then they put rubber garden hose on the points. Then they wrapped it in bubble wrap. Then the cape and horns put in a heavy duty duffle bag. To the airline it seemed old hat. No problems there. Had my paperwork for customs. I attempted to notify the Fish and wildlife. The Feds wouldn't answered the phone OR Call me back or reply to e-mails.
At customs they asked if I had notified the Fish and wildlife service. I said yes. Showed my papers. Asked if professionally prepared. I said yes and they told me to go right on through.
I had more trouble rechecking my rifle after customs Han anything else.
Peter has had a number of clients do this. He told me no problem doing so. In my case it was so. Bruce

Hi Jason , all sound good but you could come to Australia for a Red Stag we have good Trophies down here , just not as well recognized or quite as big as NZ but we have Stags up to 400 . Plenty of other Deer on offer also like Sambar , Rusa , Fallow , Axis and Hog Deer and not forgetting the mighty Water Buffalo . Lots for you wife to photograph right where we hunt , the non hunting partners love it !
Will try to attach some photos of Red Stags
Good luck with it , you will both have a great time which ever destination you choose .
Darryl

Attachments

• DSC_0081.JPG
    DSC_0081.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0079.JPG
    DSC_0079.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
Hi Daryl. Those are some good looking red stags. Do you offer hunts? Might be a good idea to start a new thread with a hunt offer. Bruce

Talking with some outfitters now. Hope to do more research in the next few weeks

I had a great hunt with Bruce Flett of Ngahere Game Ranch(http://www.tournz.com/). Great service by the guy who owns the land you hunt. I also took tahr and chamois. He also has Fallow, Arapawa Rams and great, big Hogs as well as Wallaby's, Hares, Birds.

Bruce handled the cape and horn prep through O'Rourke Brothers Taxidermy (http://www.orourkebros.co.nz/) who did an exceptional job and shipping to the States was handled perfectly. I highly encourage you to reach out to Bruce and ask him about his operation. I promise you will be glad you did.

Last edited:
When I go to look for an outfitter, I check if they have any videos so you can get a good idea of the area, if the guy is fit, if you see some quality animals, etc. I have not gone to NZ, but emailed an outfitter I found and he was quick to get back to me, as well as used by a few hunting shows. Ample Hunting was his outfit. Nice guy and has as big a stag as you want. Plus all the sheep and goats to look at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg