WANTED: First hunt $25,000.00 budget

25,000.00 update

So many questions:

I will most likely be hunting solo
October, Nov, Dec preferably 2014 or 15
Shoulder mount 2 animals, rug a few, europe mount the rest
I took buff off the list (cost is too restrictive when adding the PG's)

MUST BE FREE RANGE

High trophy quality animals sought in order:
-Kudu
-Nayala
-bushbuck
-oryx
-waterbuck
-impala or gazelle
-warthog

-open to others if of high end trophy quality

I would also like to hunt very different areas, either in one county, or split between 2-3 countries to experience the different terrain and hunting styles.

Ideal setup for me would be luxury tented lodgings

Any additional direction would be greatly appreciated.

Namibia, SA, Bots, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, others

Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

Joseph Kerr

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome Joseph ---
with really alot of time thinking.... planning ... deciding..... seems to be very exciting.
Namibia can offer you an unforgetable Africa Safari. With your budget you can really have a GOOD hunt in our beautiful country.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any help on planning a safari to Namibia.

You could look at Crusader Safaris or Lake Safaris. I've read hunt read reports for both of these places on this website, indicating that they are excellent outfits. Or contact a Zim operator about a combo hunt in SVC or BVC and the Zambezi Valley or other northern concession. I think most operators in RSA could organize something for you, but it depends on your definition of free range.

I would suggest looking at Marromeu Safaris in Moz or in Namibia for what you are looking for. I think you could even do Buff in Moz and shoot a bunch of their plainsgame as well.

MUST BE FREE RANGE

-Kudu
-Nayala
-bushbuck
-oryx
-waterbuck
-impala or gazelle
-warthog

I would also like to hunt very different areas, either in one county, or split between 2-3 countries to experience the different terrain and hunting styles.

Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

Joseph Kerr

Joseph;
My wife and I hunted with Crusader in early April. I am confident Crusader can provide everything you are asking about.

From what I hear, avoid the full moon period of whatever month you go, especially for the plains game you are interested in. I think you are talking about a springtime hunt so it will depend on how much greenery is up by then.

Crusader takes pride in being all free range and they are careful to only do free range hunts... I have seen posts critical of the cattle/sheep/goat fences in some of the areas they hunt. But to me those posts are unreasonable. We did hunt one area where we must have passed through about 20 gates, all junky cattle gates, nothing much to them and I doubt they do a perfect job of keeping cattle in (and we got nothing there). But if you are imagining a real wilderness area where there are no fences of any kind, I don't think you will find it in RSA. Might even need to save up more money for charter flights and wilderness camps.

Crusader does have several areas and you would likely go to 2 or 3 of them for your list. We hunted the Baavians river area for most of our list.. On yours you could get cape kudu, , the Karoo, and the Cowie (jungle). They also have mountain areas and a Northern area good for Nyala and Southern Greater Kudu. That is near Durban so if you hunt with them I would suggest first flying into Durban (via Johannesburg) and hunting the Nyala and if you want Greater Kudu you must do that up there. The Cape Kudu is to me the better looking one, but the Greater has the bigger horns by far... Consider doing both. I would do the Umkamas (Durban) area for the Nyala and greater kudu first... Then you can decide later if you want a cape kudu or not... Or be flexible and only take one if you come across a real good one. They just added an area (I think this year) for Waterbuck and a couple other guys got some great ones while we were there.. It was offered but to us as well but we decided to forgo that for another trip. That was in the home area of the Baavians River. You would likely finish up there and fly out of Port Elizabeth.

If I was doing the hunt you are inquiring about with Crusader, I would request Mark as my PH... He is a Kudu fanatic. We asked for a shorter guy we could have some prayer of keeping up with but he can run up and down mountains all day if need be. If he is un-available, or you want a longer legged guy, I would ask for Tyson. I got to know Tyson in the evenings and soon had a great respect for him. I know he will work hard for his clients. If I went back with my younger (and taller) brother, I would suggest Tyson for him. These guys are a little older (probably late 30's/early 40's) than some of the guides but we wanted that experience. Mark also mentioned his friend Dave and said he is a gadget guy and has every new tool. These guys are part time PH's and have other business ventures so they may need to make phone calls mid day and at night. If you want a younger guy, they have them as well and we met Ryan and it was his client who got a great waterbuck. And I saw him mentioned on the board very positively. Andrew the owner is a very tall young man and does some guiding as well, but keep in mind an owner has many other responsibilities to tend to.

Crusader is established and offers what you are asking about. They do have an arrangement with a taxidermist but I would strongly suggest scheduling a visit to their shop before you commit.... And if you do, please check on our mounts for me! I'm sure we are the only "Bob and Ann". We did not visit and I am a little nervous.

I do think you may be able to get a little more done than you list for the $25,000, if you go alone and keep the taxidermy in check.

A safety note is to not leave the Joburg airport unless you have one of the reputable guest houses pick you up and return you in their car... I was warned to NOT take a taxi. We actually never left the airport but scheduled a connection right to PE.

One final thought, if you ever plan to do lion hunt, you might be able to work in a deal on a lioness "if" you were to book with more of a beginner outfitter.... For that I would contact Loodt at Tootabi as a starting point, but I'm sure there are others who would offer a deal. Loodt tells me he has both high fenced and free range available but not sure which animals are available where. Just mentioning this as it seems to be a consensus that there is a high probability of lion hunting being the next thing to be in danger of being closed and that 2015 may be the last year to hunt lion..... I would love to do a lion hunt in about 5-10 years... But will be trying to get that done soon.

Go with a cape kudu (vs. a Southern Greater) and perhaps a "skull in" rug on a lioness and I think you could get that all done for the money.

Let us know what you decide and have fun!

Bob

MUST BE FREE RANGE

Joseph, if you are looking for Kudu, Oryx, Warthog in their natural Habitat, look at North Western Namibia. The other animals on your list can only be found in Game Fenced areas in Namibia. Add to that FREE RANGE Mountain Zebra, Red Hartebeest, Giraffe, Springbuck, Steenbuck, Damara Dik-Dik, Klipspringer, Duiker, etc and you are looking at a wonderful first African Hunting Safari.

Good luck!
John

I have been able to save an extra $25,000.00 that I would like to spend on my first African safari. The $25,000.00 needs to be able to cover ALL the expenses (hunt, fees, dip/pack, taxidermy, and shipment to US).
Air fair is not to be included in the $25,000.00

I was wondering what some of you folks thought would make a fantastic first safari on this budget.
-species? Country? Outfitter?

Thanks in advance

Joseph Kerr
Joe,

I see no problem with a nice

Joe,

I see no problem with a nice hunt complete except air for that price.

My suggestion is to understand some of what you want and find a well recommended PH.

I have only made two trips at present to SA and Namibia. For me, the PH made a world of difference. Not only with experience but with knowledge of animal behavior and your preferred style of hunting.

I am thrilled to be headed back to Namibia next year with the same PH as the year before.

My trophies came recently and having them done there save me $ as well as getting a more realistic end result.

Understand what you want and get referrals. My trip this year was not good and I believe the PH makes a hell of a difference!

Dave

25,000.00 update

So many questions:

I will most likely be hunting solo
October, Nov, Dec preferably 2014 or 15
Shoulder mount 2 animals, rug a few, europe mount the rest
I took buff off the list (cost is too restrictive when adding the PG's)

MUST BE FREE RANGE

-Kudu
-Nayala
-bushbuck
-oryx
-waterbuck
-impala or gazelle
-warthog

Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

Joseph Kerr

Joseph -

Looking at free range and doing different areas for your safari to obtain your outlined trophy list.
I suggest that you Contact Trevor Lake: lakesafaris@telkomsa.net Phone +27-82-970-1231

Trevor set up a 5 different hunting camp area safari for my wife and me. He has all the animals with the exception of gazelle.
With Gemsbuck you will be near Springbuck in the Kalahari. I have not been to this camp in the NW SA Kalahari.

He will try and talk you into bush pig as he likes to hunt them. How about Southern reedbuck or Mountain reedbuck. Blesbuck are everywhere you turn. A nice stud Eland is also a great addition to your safari. heck the list could go on and on.

I have been to 6 of Trevor's different camp location and while some are rustic most are comfortable. He has 1 up scale lodge that he uses for Black wildebeest.

Look your options over.

James.

Hi Joe,

Take a look at Cilliarssafaris.com
A family owned outfit that will make your hunt a life's pleasure. I can't wait to go back

Dave

Free range, Buff, Kudu and Nyala, MOZAMBIQUE
But Oryx do not live with Nyala and bushbuck . If this your option you will need to do two trips or relocate

10 days in a wilderness area of Mozambique
$ 11 000
Buff , Nyala, kudu and bushbuck will be $ 11 600
So you're already in for $ 21 500
Charter to camp $ 3500 in a Cessna 206 ( not much space )
Rifle import $250
Hunting license $ 300
Dip and pack $300 roughly
Shipping .... ?

SOUTH AFRICA has many facets and different operators.
There are also FREE RANGE Options using low fence conservancies on sheep and cattle ranches.

These areas are GUARANTEED To not be a shoot, but a real hunt, especially the kudu.

Flights $1600 from Atlanta , JHB , Port Elizabeth or Durban or Kimberly.with custom travel.

You could do 10 days Kudu, Oryx (Gemsbuck ) Bushbuck ,waterbuck, impala ,warthog . 7 animals
For roughly $ 11 900 as a package. Nyala,Waterbuck, buff and Sable on a ranch roughly 40square miles

7 animals dip and pack $ 1200 4-5 months turnaround from deposit
Shipping roughly $ 1800
7 animals shoulder mount roughly $ 5000 8-9 months turn around
Shipping roughly $ 2500

Total $ 14 900 including animals , dipping & packing , shipping
With extra money you could look at extra days, fishing extra animals or even taxidermy ( if you do dip and pack ,you will still need to pay a bonded agent, and ship to a registered taxidermist, before you can ship to your taxidermist)

Or $ 19 400 including Taxidermy and shipping ( dip and pack fees will fall away with this option, so will the need for a bonded agent and a registered taxidermist) clear at customs and ship straight to your house.

THIS IS DEFINATELY A DECISION YOU DONT WANT TO TAKE LIKLEY, SO TAKE YOUR TIME AND ASK THE QUESTIONS. NO MATTER HOW TRIVIAL

best of luck and may the perfect Safari find you.
Regards
Dave

Joseph,
Dave lined out some nice options above... just keep in mind in the East Cape, even free range low fence hunting, you may be presented with opportunities to take an average of 1.5 to 2 animals per day. For sure 1 per day. You will likely have a day or two with nothing but then another day with 3. So budget for some extras. Yes the game populations are that healthy.

Check out Tau Taxidermy in Windhoek, Namibia. Their rates are reasonable and quality fantastic. My trophies ended up better than I expected.

I hunted the Eastern Cape last April 10 days 1x1. Taking along my wife and son as observers. We hunted hard. Morning sessions and afternoon sessions. It was definitely not a shoot. Every animal was a hunt and not to be taken for granted. I was fortunate to have taken the following species. Cape Kudu, Black Wildebeest, Bushbuck, Impala, Blesbok, Springbok and Warthog.
Hunted hard for two days for the "right" Gemsbok, but could never close the deal. All were true trophies, Kudu
was 46.5" but very, very heavy and perfectly symmetrical,
Black Wildebeest made top 100 in the world for that year
and Blesbok was 18.25" on one side and 18.5 on the
other. Just to mention a few. My whole trip with family in tow, 2days extra in Port Elizabeth, taking in Addo Elephant Park and a night on the town, flights from US , tipping, meals not at lodge, trophy dip and Pac with shipping and a grand in miscellaneous came out to a little under $15,000. We are returning next April Lord willing to do it again. Hope this helps. Kevin.

Ps. I'm glad your not a troll :) . Welcome to the forum Joseph

Last edited:
Hello Joseph
$25000 would get you a list of trophies in Australia , 4 Deer species( Sambar ,Rusa , Hog Deer and Red Stag) and a Water Buffalo + wild Boars and Fishing , and still have left over funds ! Keep it in mind and good luck with your hunt .

Hey Darryl;
Are you an outfitter? Would love to see more info on the trip you speak of.... Maybe post something on a new thread in appropriate area on here.

Hey Darryl;
Are you an outfitter? Would love to see more info on the trip you speak of.... Maybe post something on a new thread in appropriate area on here.
Hi Actionbob
Yes I am a outfitter in Aus , and looking through to see how AH all works and learning , hope to put up something soon
cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg