WANTED: 2x1 safari for free-ranging plains game, birds, and fishing in Summer 2011

Cossack

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe
My father and I are looking for an affordable traditional safari hunt for plains game. No fences that inhibit the free movement of game, please. No shooting galleries. We'd rather hunt hard and earn a few animals than shoot a big bag.

We have no need for fancy accommodations, in fact, our ideal is traditional tents. We're used to hunting with tiny tents in cold mountains on hard ground, so even a bed and flush toilets are luxury to us when hunting!

We'd like to spend around 14 days, with perhaps 7-10 big game hunting and the rest fishing and wingshooting, or spend all of the days in some mix of the three activities.

We're open to almost any country in sub-saharan Africa, including west and central African countries, although I think our budget suggests Namibia, RSA, or possibly Zimbabwe.

We are more interested in the experience than the trophies, and so would consider culling or management hunts. It would be nice to bring back one or two trophies, but that's not essential.

Thanks all!
Nick
Spokane, WA
USA

Hi Nick

Most plains game areas in Sub Sahara are to a certian degree fenced. Only in big game areas where there is free movement of Elephant , Lion , Buffalo etc is it really free range.

Since you are looking for plains game only my suggestion would be a plains game hunt on a private ranch that may be fenced but on 25 000 to 50 000 acres you probably wont see the fence very often and will definately have to earn your quarry on foot, the game can easily evade us if they need to, you can walk for miles and will require a GPS to get back to camp or truck, this is no shooting gallery type hunt at all what so ever.

There is also great fishing namely Bass, Bream and Cat fish which are all great to catch as well as eat.

You can also do a certian amount of wing shooting as well depending on the time of the year.

There are 2 types of facilities available luxury or tented either way is not a problem. I myself prefer tented rustic stlye where we get to sit around a fire every night and most of the cooking is done on a open fire, which we can do ourselves at times .

The area I have in mind has lots of huge granite hills / mountian type terrian and often we will get up on top of them and glass for game.

Let me know if this interests you, if so you can contact me direct on my email.

Feel free also to visit my website.

Regards

Wayne Van Den Bergh

Thanks for the information. I checked out your website, and it's an attractive area.

A few questions. Why not hunt plains game in the "Big Game" areas (I assume you mean where you hunt the dangerous game)? To me that would be exciting - even if I'm not hunting them, the possibility of seeing the biggies and knowing that I am in their company is exciting, even if it means that the antelope are not as dense. Remember, where I come from I can hunt a week for a moose and consider myself lucky to see one or two legal animals. The bush experience is just as important to me. Is there a reason that this is not commonly done?

I also understand that in many areas, especially Namibia, there are low fences that inhibit cattle movement but not most antelope. Is this correct? I don't have a problem with that. In Montana that's normal. We hunt elk, pronghorn, and deer on people's cattle ranches and the animals can move freely on or off the property. The fences only inhibit the cows and those of us hunters who respect others' property (all of us, i would like to think!).

Like you, I my father and I would much prefer to be out in tents in a more rustic setting.

What times of the year are best for hunting birds in Zimbabwe?
Thanks again!
- Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick

You can hunt plains game in dangerous game areas no , problem. yes the game will not be as dense as typical plains game areas. Most dangerous game areas that offer plains game are generally more pricey than the norm regardless of the accomodation , tents or otherwise, in fact it can be more expensive to set up a tented fly camp with all the bits and pieces that will make it work than an allready existing camp.

Never the less it is do able. Some areas offer fishing especially in the Zambezi valley or on the shores of lake Kariba, other areas will not have any fishing available but will be complete free range with big game. There is not alot of birds in these areas and the best time is now June July for wing shooting and later in the season around waterholes for doves.

I have never been to Namibia, cattle fences will not stope Kudu, Warthogs, Impala, Duiker etc, depending on the fence , I do know that Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Spingbok, Zebra, Sable go under a fence again it depends on the fence, if it is pretty secure and only 5 feet high probably find those animals that can not jump will not cross.

The place I had in mind for your hunt, I am doing a hunt there on the 10th tented style, I will be going on the 5th to prepare.Anyway there are Leopard, Elephant and Buffalo on this property , not huge numbers of the later 2 but still see there sign daily.

The fishing is gauranteed as well as better bird hunting than most big game areas offer.

Plains game on offer would be Waterbuck, Kudu, Eland, Wildebeest, Zebra,Impala, Warthog,Bushpig,Bushbuck,Duiker, Klipspringer, Steenbok,Giraffe and many nocturnal species like Hyena, Civet cats, Honey Badger, Genet etc.

I hope I have been of some help to you in making a decission. If I can be of any more assistance just email me and I will be happy to help where I can.

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks Wayne!

The area you mentioned seems very attractive. Can you send me a message with the rates for that particular area? There might actually be three of us -my brother has expressed some interest in going, too.

It might still be beyond our means and we'll have to go back to considering a fenced area, but the numbers will give us something to consider. This will most likely be my dad's only African hunt, and he's not really interested in bringing home trophies, but is more interested in the wild African experience - heck, so am I!

The tents are not necessary. They were proposed as a potential cost-saving measure, and they have the added benefit of tickling the imagination of us Americans who grew up reading tales of African hunting in East Africa and your country back when it was Rhodesia.

Where are you located in Zimbabwe, and where is the concession of which you speak?

I appreciate you information.

Ngeyabonga,
Nick

Hi Nick

I am in Bulawayo, that's where I live, I hunt all over Zimbabwe. The place that I thought would appeal to you is south of Bulawayo going towards our border post Biet Bridge approx 280 km from Bulawayo. It is in the West Nicholsan area / Gwanda.It is partly fenced, but not complete, it is basically to try and keep Poachers out and also to keep the nieghbors cattle from roaming on the place. The area is close to 50 000 Acres or more in size.

If you want to basically have a great hunt, without hunting in a false inviroment " shooting ally " then I can help book your hunt.

What I can do for you is the following , You can come out as the primerally hunter and your Dad and Brother can come out as observers . You will need to pay a daily rate of $ 400 and your Dad and Brother can pay $ 200 each.

You can all have the experience of hunting , basically you as the prime hunter will be letting your brother hunt 1 or 2 of the animals on the list as will your Dad without having to up grade.

Shotgun Ammunition you can either bring with you or if I have to provide it will be in the region of $25 a box ( 25 ) rounds. Fishing rods, tackle etc we can get here but if you prefer to bring your own please do so. A good Bass rod will be perfect for most our fish and some good lures/ worms etc.

If tents are not a must we can stay in the lodge .

This is the best I can offer you, and should you want to confirm please let me know.

If you could email me direct it would be great.

Kind regards

Wayne

cull hunt option

Dear Nick:

Ed here from EAI Outdoors. I have read your request and do believe that our new cull hunt package is what you and your dad are looking for. We have a 10 animal package with 7 full days hunting everything included for $2500 per man. It will be up on our website soon. The package is 10 animals per man fully guided with all meals and accommodations. You can also take trophy animals and just pay for them off the trophy list. We hunt over 500,000 acers on a number of different properties. It would be no problem to run the cull package on all low fence areas. This would mean standard cattle and sheep farm type fence like you would find out west hunting antelope and muledeer. Animals are free ranging. Culling is never easy! Lots of eyes and noses to get past. We hunt in the Eastern Cape in South Africa and have two lodges in different habitats. No need to sleep in tents on the ground! We have plenty of animals and can provide the type of hunting that you are looking for at a very reasonable cost. Send me an email or call and I can give you more details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg