Vintage Safari Pictures

Love all these old pics and vise clips

The picture of Ackley with his arm in a sling next to the leopard that almost killed him is excellent. Hard to imagine a small leopard like that almost killing him but.... It was a leopard after all.

watermark.php

On the left is Fred Bear (aka Papa Bear) in 1965 on his third African safari for Lion and Cape Buffalo in Mozambique. Have seen the guy on the right before but can't place a name on his face.
This has probably been answered already but it is Walley Johnson on the right. Walley also happened to be Hemingway's favorite Ph. Very tragic how he lost everything when the troubles started in Mozambique. He was a true legend for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Father Coenraad (1960), a pioneer in Hunting & Conservation in South Africa, CVS eat 1970.

full

Mike,

What Jerome said!

A lot of very interesting photos and history attached to them. Tell your friend thanks for letting you post the photos. Your friends grandfather should have written a book.
I agree with Wheles.
Witold

My Grandfather JS Vermaak in 1935 (kneeling on left), either in Mozambique or in the North Eastern region of SA near KNP.

full

Great pics, Hoas, thanks for sharing !

Great Grand Father CM Vermaak (right) and Rustin Waldec (left), who later became my fathers mentor in hunting.
This was either in north eastern SA near Kruger or in Mozambique in the very early 1900s.

full

Great Grand Father CM Vermaak (right) and Rustin Waldec (left), who later became my fathers mentor in hunting.
This was either in north eastern SA near Kruger or in Mozambique in the very early 1900s.

full

Fantastic pic, love all these older pics

full
Beautiful picture.
The time that has passed forever.
Witold

Yes it has indeed

Old exhibits from Tansania

one hour from Munic is a monastery from the Benediktiner,called St.Ottilien.
In 1887 they sent their first missionary to East Africa-Tanganiyka,a former colony by the German Kaiser Reich (until 1918 end of WW I ).
African history over history.

St.Ottilien.jpg

And I show you a few pics of their trophys,but dont forget,most of them are 120 years old and not so good in shape anymore :)
DSC01763 (Medium).JPG

DSC01764 (Medium).JPG

a hunting monk,I m sure he has a Mauser in his hands.

DSC01773 (Medium).JPG

Monks trophy wall
DSC01774 (Medium).JPG

Dagga boy

DSC01775 (Large).JPG

Suadan-Askaris ,the famous troops fo the German army (Deutsche Schutztruppe called) in Africa.
The Germans had also south-africanZulus,but from the Sudan mostly.
DSC01786 (Medium).JPG

"born to be wild" Missionary vehicle, an old BMW.
DSC01781 (Medium).JPG

DSC01767 (Medium).JPG

DSC01771 (Medium).JPG

Lions from Iringa.
Older than Pattersons "maneater of Tsavo".
DSC01779 (Large).JPG

This is a Slave-FREIBRIEF.
I dont know the English word for.
An official German document for a slave that says now he is free.
Look at point 8.
Slave by Selemani.
The same Selemani who shot the world record elephant ................... ?
Time and country could be right.
DSC01772 (Large).JPG

OK,the taxidermy ist not urgent breathtaking,but the ivory is not so bad.
I guess it in the good 60 pounder class and up

DSC01788 (Large).JPG

Tansania non resident hunting license from 1905.
Costs: 10 Rupien
@Wheels,what do you think was 10 Rupies in those days :) ?

DSC01783 (Large).JPG

Wahehe tribesman.
The Wahehe was the most most developed warrior-tribe in Tanganyka.
They hunted their neighbours like hares and pheasants, to sell them to their arabic slave trader compagnons.
The reasons for the first arabic riots at the end of the 19th century in East Africa was, that the British and the Germans stopped slave trading.
A business where lot of people was earning lot of money.Really big business in those days.
Every balance sheet has two sides.
Pax Britannica +
Pax Germanica stopped slave hunting and trading.
The people lost their salvechains ,
No famines anymore
Domestic security now,an absolute NoGo before.
european medicine and hygiene.

But these facts are forgotten today and none wants to know about it a little bit more.
Thank you that you visit with me this monastary museum.
Foxi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg