JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hi guys,

I have a new hunting outfitter in Utah who is trying to get some business going this year. He is doing running his Utah hound hunts at a discount to bring in some clients for this seasons and he is offering some very good prices to fill his calendar. The outfitter is a long time hounds man and dog trainer.

Pick up and return is from Salt lake city, the are is outside of Price, Utah. The area is all privately owned property and the outfitter has exclusive rights to hunt.

The hunt is 5 days arrive Sunday depart Saturday.
The hunt is $3,000 and includes pick up and return,meals, guide, hounds and trophy preparation.
Does not include hotel stay +/- $65 per night, license is $285 and tag is $65.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the date's of this hunt to be taken.

James - looks like there is a fairly complex unit and hunt type for Utah. Does he have some type of Landowner tags or do we need to apply? I might be looking for January. John

I just committed to a hunt in SA, man would I love to do this hunt!

James,
How difficult is the hunt physically? Do they want to have you come out on short notice? Is he just starting out, not very experienced? Any additional info is Any additional info is.

Nice offer on a cougar, that is a good price!

This is a great offer James, when does the season end in Utah? I would love to get in on this one. I know he runs dogs is it done on horse back or 4 wheeler?

The outfitter has been running his own packs for several years on a semi professional basis, working mainly as the hounds man for other outfitter. His main focus however has been training and selling dogs to other hunters in the area. All cougar hunts are pretty tough physically, altitude and terrain really play havoc with us flat-landers.

Hunts are normally conducted as much as possible form the vehicle, fresh tracks are located and the dogs head off. Hunters follow as much as possible from the car and then the final stalk is on foot. it can be easy or REALLY tough, depending on how frisky the cat is. If they jump and run, so do you.

The area he hunts is private and there are a large number of cats in the area at present he is scheduling the hunts instead of having them "on call".

The season runs till March, but the area is a harvest objective unit as long as there are permits left they can keep hunting.

The outfitter has been running his own packs for several years on a semi professional basis, working mainly as the hounds man for other outfitter. His main focus however has been training and selling dogs to other hunters in the area. All cougar hunts are pretty tough physically, altitude and terrain really play havoc with us flat-landers.

Hunts are normally conducted as much as possible form the vehicle, fresh tracks are located and the dogs head off. Hunters follow as much as possible from the car and then the final stalk is on foot. it can be easy or REALLY tough, depending on how frisky the cat is. If they jump and run, so do you.

The area he hunts is private and there are a large number of cats in the area at present he is scheduling the hunts instead of having them "on call".

The season runs till March, but the area is a harvest objective unit as long as there are permits left they can keep hunting.
I'm from that area and I can't think of a piece of private property that is as large as you describe there. Do you know if the area that he is hunting on a CWMU unit for deer and elk or is it mining property?

OK, I am pretty sure I know where he is hunting at now.

If it is where I am thinking it isn't for the faint of heart. Lots of ledges and steep hills.

Hello James , sounds like a good time what is the price for 2 x 1 hunting , a mate and I might try to line up dates to come from Australia in line with the SCI shows in 2016 , try to get a hunt in while over there , hard at that time of year ! How do we book ?

Need more time and money!!!

james
is the area around the bookcliffs? I hunted mtn lion in utah and it is tricky you need snow for tracks but not too much or cant navigate the terrain, and I got burned as outfitter said oh come later better snow that was bad as all the units are on quota and tons of local guys run dogs and kill cats in utah and quota can fill reeal fast and thats it you are done risky hunting want a cat but the whole qouta thing burned me all the units around closed but one wothless one left to hunt in. private land or not if quota for unit fills that it. so wont hunt utah again.
fyi how it is done is they drive in trucks with chains or snowmobiles/etc and look to cut a fresh track of a tom then toss out the pack of dogs and the game is on! can be very physical we chased one huge tom had to chase dogs on foot thru very deep snow in steep country and cliffs the tom was smart after all night chase he ran through big herd of cattle to loose his scent from dogs. never cut another track.

@Darryl Bell you can do it in late January we should still have some tags left. For a 2x1 its $2,750 per man and we will make it a 7 day hunt.

@Buckdog the outfitter is running both snow and dry ground dogs, he is opening up shop in Arizona next year as well as UT. It is a tough area and once you get out of the truck it is demanding. The area is out of price so you are hunting the western side of the brookcliffs.

Where are you Barney ?? get on this and see what you think ?
I am keen but it sounds like it is all to do with the weather , snow and also tag quota .
We will be there in Jan /Feb YOU just have to make up your mind on who we hunt with old sock ! :)

thanks james for the info I know the area well and I tell you what there are some very serious muleys that winter up in the bookcliffs too bad season wasn't open and I didn't have a tag.
yes it is a very demanding area physically as book CLIFFS is right as the cats like the cliffs!
what is the outfitters name? I hunted with 3 of them working together one of which was the unitna county sherriff and his pack of dogs. running dry ground is harder as you cant tell too well what the dogs strike on aka a tom or not. in snow its easy tom tracks way bigger and usually lone. how many helpers does he have to cut tracks and with strike dogs?
it is a good area for big cats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross