Unintended Meetings with a Big 5 in the Bushveld?

ILCAPO

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Private club on friend's land in Augusta County, Virginia
Hunted
USA (Colorado, Alabama, Virginia)
I have a question. Just wondered, as I'm planning for a hunt in South Africa, what the chances are of running into a lion, cape buffalo, or any other dangerous game while hunting plains game in the Bush.

It's only logical being they're out there that such chance meetings occur. So, if it happens, what do you do? I assumed some of you PHs out there have had such encounters and have answers. My wife asked this the other day as I brought up the subject of hunting in South Africa again.

:shocked: <-- that's me running into a lion. Used it because there was no symbol for _hiting one's pants! LOL!

I wouldn't worry about it in RSA, I would worry about it Zambia, Zimbabwe, or Tanzania for example.

I would worry about snakes though...they can be anywhere!

In general enysse is correct. However on my last in Africa, RSA in fact, on the first day of the hunt we encountered white rhino which I was unaware were on the property. Being afraid of poachers, and trying to get a decent herd bred, they didnt advertise their presence. You just never know and thats part of the charm of Africa. And as to snakes, yes I have seen several while on safari including a giant python, but never been in danger: at least as far as I know! But very few hunters get snake bit in Africa, probably more in the US every year in fact.

Thanks! That said, what kind of snakes are we talking about? I like to thoroughly research things before I jump in with both feet. For instance, I'm going through various photos of all the kinds of game there so I can identify them on sight. Many are easy to recognize, such as Kudu, Impala, Gemsbok, AND LIONS! LOL! Others, like the various species of pigmy antelope take more study.

If there are any really nasty snakes out there which are dangerous, then I need to read up on them. I did that for my deployment to Iraq. I never ran into any, but there ARE the ubiquitous spiders and scorpions. There's this critter known as the "camel" spider which is really nasty. Bites are supposed to be very problematic. Fortunately, I never ran into any of them either.

And now that we've agreed running into such animals is a possibility, is there a text book response to back away? Also, how does this effect one's choice of rifles? I know up in Alaska some suggest carrying a rifle suitable for the biggest game you might run into (i.e., brown bear), even if you're hunting for deer. Although I also understand, in most cases, your guide is going to have a big-bore "guide gun" for back up. Do the PHs in Africa normally carry an 'easgesplittenloudenboomer' just in case?

ILCAPO, some time ago I asked the same about PHs carrying their own rifle in a Plains Game hunt, and the answer was that not always. If I am not wrong they carry it always in DG

On our hunt in the RSA, our PH only carried a big bore when we were on a property that had buffalo. The rest of the time, he didn't have a rifle.

I did see 2 snakes - puff adders.

Everything in Africa bites. The thorns on the trees, and some can be a problem if they get into your bloodstream. Bugs, snakes like Mambas, adders, and cobras. Lions, Jumbo, crocks and others. Any wounded animal even the small ones like a Bushbuck, or the swords of a gemsbuck. There is malaria, hepatitis, and some areas have 70 percent HIV positive. Even the toilet paper for crise sakes.. Its the roughest I have seen.lol

Everything is worth it. Except the toilet paper, bring a couple rolls with ya.

Then, of course, there is the notorious crime rate of South Africa. Violent crime for that country is rated among the worst in the world. I'm guessing, however, that the criminal element doesn't mess with hunters. All those long-range big caliber guns lying around probably act as a strong deterent, huh? LOL!

Be sure than when you are there you will forget all the above said and you will only enjoy the moment.

I am counting on the PH to save my bacon.
I'll be the fellow standing beside him and slightly behind waiting for him to address the issue.
If he starts shooting I may just join in, just to feel included.

After seeing a lion charge on a Youtube video (sorry can't recall the URL) where a group was on a game walk and this videographer stood their ground right behind the guide/armed Ranger as waited the bluff charge out, was amazing. I only hope to be able to have that much trust in the PH or ranger when I get out for that walk.

One of the properties I hunted near Kruger had lions on it. We didn't see them, but we did see their tracks. I only saw one snake while there. It was this small green snake that my PH said was poisonous, but had such small teeth it was of no danger to humans.

Never had a bug issue while there. It was end of June, first of July and it was quite cold in the mornings. I'm sure this added to why we didn't see more snakes. Just more reason to me why one should hunt when it's cold.

The major threat to any tourist/hunter is gastro/diahorrea upsets. A decent dose will ruin your hunt and trip quicker than any possibility of encountering DG, snakes or malaria carrying mozzies.

Take the appropriate medication for treatment to mitigate the effects.

The major threat to any tourist/hunter is gastro/diahorrea upsets. A decent dose will ruin your hunt and trip quicker than any possibility of encountering DG, snakes or malaria carrying mozzies.

Take the appropriate medication for treatment to mitigate the effects.

Another reason to remember the charmin.

Most large and dangerous game is confined to large protected areas, thanks to high human populations, development and historic game reductions. However, some game ranches have some of the Big 5, but then your PH will inform you about it and will keep you safe.

Thanks!

Good information regarding protecting one'self from the 'loosey goosies.' It's often the creatures too tiny to even see with the naked eye which gets ya!

"Time spent in Reconnaissance is never wasted." LOL! VERY TRUE!

ILCAPO,

When you hunt with Hartzview you will encounter Buffalo, Rhino and a BIG MAYBE leopard on your hunt. We have fair numbers of Buff and Rhino on our ranch. I always carry at least a .375 with me in the field as you never know when you can bump into a wounded animal (any wounded animal even on plainsgame can be dangerous.) or a animal that is just not feeling good.

We have snakes but usually in the hunting season they are all hibernating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you