Understanding stock selection on a big bore double "Grain Pattern"

Hunt101

AH senior member
Reaction score
I need some education on stock grain patterns, are the pretty stocks with the non straight grain patterns weaker? I often see stocks with very straight grained wood that the seller comments on the strength and durability of the wood pattern. Please help explain what makes a good piece of wood for a big bore rifle stock?

The weak spot will be through the wrist of the stock, where your firing hand grips it. It is important that the grain be straight in this area. You can have figure in the butt of the stock, but the grain should be straight through the grip.
if you look at the stock on my 404 you can see correct grain flow through the wrist: http://www.africahunting.com/375-up/11684-404-finally-finished.html

A gunsmith with experience in big bore rifles will understand what is needed, so if you are picking a stock blank, he will be able to help you.

There has not been one time that I haven,t learned something new on this website,,magnificent piece of wood

Thank you for the information, it will be useful in my search for a new rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross