Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

Somebody has used the 9.3x62 to hunt Lion ?
Is it a good ammo for lion's hunt ?
What is the distance (max ) to shoot (9.3 Mauser) a lion with care ?
It is quite popular for that application. Also for buffalo. Works well on both. Personally, I think the .338WM is better for that application, especially with a relatively frangible bullet like the Nosler Partition as it delivers massive tissue damage, but the 9.3 does a very good job. Bear in mind that the .375 calibres are generally the "go to" for lion, and that the terminal effect of 9.3 and .375 bullets (using similar bullets, etc) is very much in the same class.

Found the link to the article by Don Heath , it is a pdf so if you pm me your email I can send it to you.

Here is the relevant info from the article.

"Slow-expanding bullets like the Barnes TSX seldom open on a lion that is shot over bait and even less so on leopard.
I have enjoyed good success with the Norma Oryx bullet on lionfrom my 9.3 but, for the averageAmerican, would tend to recommend something along the lines of a Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition.
They’re guaranteed to open and will also make it through under any situation from any angle. Neither of the cats requires a particularly powerful rifle, and a .300 Winchester Magnum would be my advice for leopard, and a .338 Winchester or .375 H&H is all anybody will need for lion.

Bullet impact speeds make a significant difference on cats. Ideally you want the bullet to land at over 2,250 fps (i.e., velocity at 80 yards must be over 2,250 fps rather than muzzle velocity). Like buffalo, this is an important
consideration for a client. It is always much more satisfactory for both PH and client to have theanimal go down virtually instantaneously where you can see it, rather than experience the joys of a terse follow-up. Clients may find a follow-up exciting, but for me the novelty has long since worn off. Bring a high-velocity round and dump the cat where I
can see it, please."
Very good advice !

Both calibres are perfect ... and I love them equally . However , I personally prefer the .338 Winchester magnum calibre . You cannot go wrong with either choice . Howe , the .338 Winchester magnum calibre has a flatter trajectory based on my personal experience .
Unless I am very mistaken ... 300 grain bullets are now available for the .338 Winchester magnum calibre .

338 300gr bullets
1588695904098.jpeg
1588695958596.jpeg

And in the 9,3 there is the Norma Oryx in 325 gr.

I have owned both calibers in several rifles. The outcome is the same, your prey dies.
As for recoil, the 338 has a harder and faster kick, while the 9,3 is more of a big push.
Generally speaking.

I would say, if you live in America, 338. In Europe, 9,3. This due to availability.
They really are the same in a diffrent way.

Why thank you , Krish ! I wonder how these would hold up against a .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre 300 grain bullet.
375 H&H has a larger surface area. It can be loaded with 350gr bullets. I also think 385 gr bullets. My favorite rifle has been 340 WBY. But 375 is much superior than a 338. I do have several may be 8 or 10 338's and 8 or 10 375's. My 340 and 375 kick the same. For long range hunting you cant beat the 340 or its brother 338-378 unless you go to 375 WBY or 378 WBY.

I see 338WM as bigger brother of already boringly sensible 300WM. Meanwhile if 375H&H is Queen of Africa, 9.3x62 is definitely the German mistress that does things some people can't stand to even hear about.

.338 Win. mag for me, but only because of logistics.........9.3x62 ammo/cases/reloading info is difficult to find, even on line. I guess if you think you might do dangerous game, and the 9.3 is legal where you plan to hunt, then I would go with that. The biggest issue for me is the availability of ammo/reloading supplies.
I'm not really sure why Winchester came out with the .338.....seems like a .35 cal cartridge would have done just as well commercially; however, I do like my Ruger 77 in .338!!! The kick isn't too much to deal with and if I do my part, it is quite accurate.
Mr 16 gauge
Fear not my friend the 35 did come out before the 338 it just that the 35 Whelen was not made legitimate until much later and didn't get the hype the 338 did.
The 35 and 9.3 have been plodding along in the background getting the job done without the fanfare. It's just that the more astute hunters go for the real world not the advertising.
A 9.3 or 35 loaded with a 250 grainers @2,700 fps will out perform the 338.
The 35 Whelen with 225grain accubonds or Woodleigh at 2,900 fps runs rings around the 338.
Maybe if the Whelen and the 9.3 had the advertising budget of Winchester maybe it would have been a different story.
Cheers mate Bob

I have both , I really enjoy both calibers but they are so different

in saying that the 338 can be loaded to do what the 9.3 does or similar however the 9.3 can't be loaded to do what the 338 can do.

the 338 is a wonderful calibers and the 250g hits very hard .
Bassasdaindia
Mate the 9.3 can be loaded to match the 338 with 250 grain projectiles but not with lighter.
When it comes to heavy bullets the 9.3 can be loaded to match and outperform the 338. Loaded to its full potential the 9.3 isn't that far behind the good ol 375.
Just my 2cents worth
Bob

Reactions: WAB
the 338 is definitely a long range rifle , but loaded at moderate speeds with a 250g bullet , this caliber becomes a very effective bush rifle .
Bassasdaindia
If the 338 loaded with the 225 accubonds @ 2,800 fps wouldn't that make the Whelen a good long range cartridge when loaded with the same bullet 100fps faster and the Whelen 9.3 and 338 loaded with the 250s are basically identical then we can go to the 300 grain plus in the 35 and 9.3 anbessa have even more thump a closer ranges than the 338
Bob.

I think the 9.3 had a fair bit more energy than the 338.
Both are excellent but the 9.3 I feel had the edge and is fairly similar to the 375 H&H.
The 338 I feel is more suited to slightly smaller dangerous game such as bears.

Many Husqvarna 9.3's are 9.3x57 cartridge, made on Model 1896 Mauser actions and definitely are not suitable for conversion to .404 Jeffery.
However Husqvarna also made quite a few Model 98's in 9.3x62 and those are very strong / well made rifles.
A Professional Gunsmith could possibly convert one to .404 (I'm not sure either way) but even if possible, the work involved would break your bank account in labor costs alone.
I too am interested in a .404 Mauser but after searching the Internet and researching having one built on one of my existing Mausers (.375 H&H), it is clear to me that I will save one or two thousand if I just calm down and wait until I find one already built (but used) for the right price.
Velo Dog
The ideal action for your 404 would be a P14 or M17, both are already close to magnum length and is an easy conversion. Both actions are stronger than the Mauser as well
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you