Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

My vote goes to the 9.3x62. That said you will also need to get her little sister in 7x57 as well. I am saying this as a convert from 270WM and 300WM.

A lot of the 338 hype in North America is media driven in my opinion.

Good luck with your future endeavours.

R.

My vote goes to the 9.3x62. That said you will also need to get her little sister in 7x57 as well. I am saying this as a convert from 270WM and 300WM.

A lot of the 338 hype in North America is media driven in my opinion.

Good luck with your future endeavours.

R.
I have a 7x57 as well as the big brother 9.3x62. The 7x57 is a great calibre. One of the more balanced bullet to calibre ratios out there. Love the 9.3!

.338 Win. mag for me, but only because of logistics.........9.3x62 ammo/cases/reloading info is difficult to find, even on line. I guess if you think you might do dangerous game, and the 9.3 is legal where you plan to hunt, then I would go with that. The biggest issue for me is the availability of ammo/reloading supplies.
I'm not really sure why Winchester came out with the .338.....seems like a .35 cal cartridge would have done just as well commercially; however, I do like my Ruger 77 in .338!!! The kick isn't too much to deal with and if I do my part, it is quite accurate.

Another fellow convert. Thanks!

R.
I like different non conventional calibres. 7mm Rem Mags, 308's, 30/06's 300Winny's etc, just don't "tickle my fancy" (I can see neck hairs bristling on those who own them). They have their place...just not for me. The guy I hunt with has a Mannlicher–Schönauer in 30/06 and we have robust "discussions" at hunt camp.
I also have an 8x68S which I love. Will shoot better than the 30 cals (except maybe the 300Wby) and .338's with less recoil. Outstanding PG round with the right bullet selection.

.338 Win. mag for me, but only because of logistics.........9.3x62 ammo/cases/reloading info is difficult to find, even on line. I guess if you think you might do dangerous game, and the 9.3 is legal where you plan to hunt, then I would go with that. The biggest issue for me is the availability of ammo/reloading supplies.
I'm not really sure why Winchester came out with the .338.....seems like a .35 cal cartridge would have done just as well commercially; however, I do like my Ruger 77 in .338!!! The kick isn't too much to deal with and if I do my part, it is quite accurate.

This is what Wikipedia has as the reason for a 338. I was thinking it was roughly half way between 30 cal and 375.

The .338 Winchester Magnum traces its heritage to the experiments conducted by Charles O’Neil, Elmer Keith and Don Hopkins with cartridges firing .333 in (8.5 mm) bullets in the late 1940s. The use of .333 in (8.5 mm) bullets may seem odd today but at the time this was the standard diameter of European .33 caliber bullets which were more common than the .338 in (8.6 mm) diameter bullets used in cartridges such as the .33 Winchester. Furthermore the .333 in (8.5 mm) were available in heavier weights than the .338 in (8.6 mm) bullets. O’Neil, Keith and Hopkins experiments lead to the creation of the .333 OKH, which was based on the .30-06 Springfield case necked up to accept .33 caliber bullets and the .334 OKH which used a shortened .375 H&H Magnum necked down to accept the same bullets.

The .338 Winchester Magnum was introduced in 1958 together with the .264 Winchester Magnum and the .458 Winchester magnum; all of which used a common case design based on the .375 H&H Magnum case blown out and shortened to 2.500 in (63.5 mm) much like the .334 OKH. When the cartridge was introduced, Winchester offered a 200 gr (13 g) at 3,000 ft/s (910 m/s), a 250 gr (16 g) at 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) and a 300 gr (19 g) at 2,450 ft/s (750 m/s). Sometime later, Winchester introduced the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan chambered for the cartridge. This chambering left little doubt that the cartridge was intended for big heavy dangerous game.

I have both, I think they both have there positives. There is something about be traditional...so 9.3x62(y)

enysse - I've been trying to decide whether to chamber my 1909 Argentine Mauser in .35 Whelen or 9.3x62. I have a .375 H&H that I really like, so I've been leaning toward the .35 Whelen. Since you have a 9.3 and really like it and (I think) also have a .375, any words of advice?

- browningbbr

I guess, my advice is to go the traditional Africa route and get a 9.3x62. It's not a super long range gun but I can shoot mine in a light Mauser and I think it's ok. It's really suited for the thick brush country of Africa, where a solid hit is required. Most think it's plenty for the Big 5.

I have both , I really enjoy both calibers but they are so different

in saying that the 338 can be loaded to do what the 9.3 does or similar however the 9.3 can't be loaded to do what the 338 can do.

the 338 is a wonderful calibers and the 250g hits very hard .

I think the .338 Win especially in a light Rem 700 like my gun it really can give a sharp kick, compared to the 9.3x62. But yes they are different. The .338 Win is long range weapon with a lot of power.

I think the .338 Win especially in a light Rem 700 like my gun it really can give a sharp kick, compared to the 9.3x62. But yes they are different. The .338 Win is long range weapon with a lot of power.

the 338 is definitely a long range rifle , but loaded at moderate speeds with a 250g bullet , this caliber becomes a very effective bush rifle .

I guess, my advice is to go the traditional Africa route and get a 9.3x62. It's not a super long range gun but I can shoot mine in a light Mauser and I think it's ok. It's really suited for the thick brush country of Africa, where a solid hit is required. Most think it's plenty for the Big 5.

Thanks for the insights.

Rifle debates are great fun. Fortunately, most lead to no terminal differences at all. I have watched two friends nearly lose that friendship over individual loyalty to the .270 and the .280. Silly. I am confident that nowhere in the US exists a mulie or whitetail that can differentiate between a 6.9 or 7mm. I am equally confident that nowhere in Africa exists an Oryx or Eland (or buffalo for that matter) that could distinguish between a .338 or 9.3 - with the right ammunition. Our allegiance in these instances tends to trend with the qualities of the rifle we are using rather than the actual attributes of the cartridge. I have both and like them both - and both are perfectly packaged in a custom mauser (the .338) and a pre-war commercial mauser. I use them based upon how I "feel" about an upcoming hunt. In the current commercial ammo environment, the .338 is clearly more versatile - but heck - how much does anyone shoot a heavy medium at game? Ten minutes on the internet and a 300 USD investment will likely provide a lifetime supply of ammo for either. So I would pick the rifle which you prefer - and let the caliber be the reinforcing data point.

Never shot a 338Win but I do have a 338-06 wildcat, probably less kick than the Win-Mag Dead ass accurate and a joy to shoot,,,Still on topic I saw several Husqvarna 9.3s for sale at a local gun store and wonder if they are worth a look and would they make a good action for a 404Jeff conversion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg