Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

9,3 x 62 is my favorite caliber.
This caliber is a sensible alternative to 375 H&M magnum.
In many African countries it is allowed for dangerous game.
This magnificent caliber I use of 20 years.
Witold

I have used both with satisfaction, I depends what you are going to use it for.

I am 338 guy. I love the caliber and believe it's the probebly the most versitle for North America game, based on killing power and availability of components in the US. I own two, a 338WM and a 338fed. That said, when I started researching hunting in Africa I immediately wanted a traditional 9.3x62. But, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it since I already have a 338 that will essentially do anything the 9.3 will do just with a smaller dia hole. That and the fact that .375 is the minimum legal caliber for most Africa dangerous game, my next step up in will probebly be to a 404 Jeff or 416 Rigby. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have skipped the 338 WM and just bought a 9.3x62.

9.3x64 just to be me being me - often called the kraut 375 H&H and no belt to worry about !

However reloading is the smart way forward unless you live in Germany

I have both a 9.3x62 & 338WM. I do prefer the 9.3 for ease of use on the shoulder vs the .338. The recoil is more of a push than a sharp "crack" on the shoulder. Both are equally effective at making things that need to be dead...dead as long as you do your part. Bullet selection category goes to the 338WM. 9.3 advantage is that it can be used for DG if needed.

I am 338 guy. I love the caliber and believe it's the probebly the most versitle for North America game, based on killing power and availability of components in the US. I own two, a 338WM and a 338fed. That said, when I started researching hunting in Africa I immediately wanted a traditional 9.3x62. But, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it since I already have a 338 that will essentially do anything the 9.3 will do just with a smaller dia hole. That and the fact that .375 is the minimum legal caliber for most Africa dangerous game, my next step up in will probebly be to a 404 Jeff or 416 Rigby. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have skipped the 338 WM and just bought a 9.3x62.
Go 404 Jeffery!

I have a 338WM and it killed everything(PG) I shot at in Africa. I am happy. A friend got a 9.3X62 for his trip. Same results. I would like to have a 9.3X62 just because. I will not be hunting DG so not really any great difference.

I have both, I think they both have there positives. There is something about be traditional...so 9.3x62(y)

I have used both in Africa and like both. My Ruger .338 Express is as fine a rifle as I own. At least on paper the .338 can muster up a bit more energy, though I think the difference in killing power is probably slim. I have taken the 9.3 twice and the .338 only once, perhaps time for round two.

Thanks for your relevant response...
9.3x62 has a pretty good quantum of movement and .338WM has a pretty good length of shot.
Off topic :
9.3x64 is a marvellous, efficient ammo, I have owned it, but ... not easy to find (manufacturers, retailers even here in Europa, poor choice of bullets)
404 Jef : this is the higher step ... Included in an another world ... 416RM, Rigby, Ruger ... Wheatherby .. and more.... Lott ...
| please would you correct my .. "globlish", I'm not fluent...]

Side by side, 9.3 on the left. 9.3 held 74 grs of W760, same amount shown in the .338 case, which can hold 88.5 grs of it. Just poured in without tapping.

IMG_1976.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bebo,

Here in Alaska, the .338 Winchester is very popular, maybe the most popular cartridge for moose, bear and bison with 250 grain to 275 grain bullets.
However, the 9.3x62 is slowly becoming popular for those animals here as well, with 250 grain to 286 grain bullets.
In the other Western States of the USA where elk are commonly hunted at longer ranges, the .338W is likewise very popular, with 225 grain bullets.
The same is true in much of Canada.

In Africa, it is a shame that the .338 W is not more popular for so called "plains game" than it is, because it is extremely effective on everything from duiker to eland, with 225 grain to 275 grain bullets.
No doubt the well deserved 100+ year popularity of the .375 H&H is why (my favorite hunting cartridge).

Generally speaking, the .338W is only superior to the 9.3x62 for African PG when hunting in wide open places, such as most of Namibia or South Africa's Eastern Cape, or the Highveld, etc.
I would definitely prefer the 9.3x62 otherwise, since it shoots plenty flat enough for most of the rest of Africa, plus it has less recoil than the .338W and uses a very heavy bullet for it's caliber (all excellent attributes for Africa).

Best regards,
Velo Dog.

Like many here I have both. I used to shoot my 338WM and 375HH a good bit but about 3 years ago I really came to appreciate the 9.3x62 bolt and 74R double. My 338 WM hasn't been out of the safe to shoot in several years. The 9.3's are some of the best mid bores out there my longest shot was 310 yards on a kudu. You won't go wrong with either but my vote is for the 9.3. Have fun and shoot straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg