Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I'm stuck in a cabin in the woods for 18 days but fortunately it has a 24 hour outdoors channel on the TV. So, I was watching some hunting on an East Cape place operated by Tam Safaris and was struck at how different the vegetation was there than other places you normally see hunted. This got me to reading the Wikipedia article on "veld" and they throw around terms such as high veld, low veld, bush veld, sand veld, thorn veld, etc. Is the type of veld you see so often in hunting videos, which has acacias separated by grass properly called sand veld, not bush veld?

To see the veld at Tam Safaris, go here: TAM SAFARIS - BIG GAME HUNTING SAFARIS

and look behind the rhino in the top photo.

And reading the text beneath the rhino, I see they call that "high-mountain sour veld", which they describe as "open, flat grassland alongside semi-desert thorn scrub".

I assume this is what you were looking at on Wiki.
Veld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some scientific names for the Biomes in RSA.

watermark.php

Now shifting this to Afrikaans side of those "terms" being thrown around.
You'll need a little history about the explorers to understand the high and low aspects.
(Someone else will have to dive in here for this lesson)

Eastern Cape and Free State provinces are where their hunt camps are.

(cross posting with your second)
The picture with the Rhino sure looks like the Karoo to me.
One of the camps north of Cradock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if you look at his map, he's just north of Cradock. It's that unique an area in RSA?

It was your first link I was originally reading. Your second two links won't open for me because of this funky Ubuntu Linux OS on this computer.

Yes, if you look at his map, he's just north of Cradock. It's that unique an area in RSA?

I was looking at your first link. Your second two links won't open for me because of this funky Ubuntu Linux OS on this computer.

Hope I fixed it. When the link opens you will see that the vegetation Biomes in RSA. It is amazing how many there actually are.

The Karoo is actually quite unique.

Your middle link opens now. The last one goes to a page that says "Invalid Attachment Specified". It seems most hunting in RSA takes place in Bush Veld or Thorn Veld. You see little hunting offered in the Northern Cape, which is mostly Karoo, correct? It looks like animals might be few and far between in that sort of area.

Your middle link opens now. The last one goes to a page that says "Invalid Attachment Specified". It seems most hunting in RSA takes place in Bush Veld or Thorn Veld. You see little hunting offered in the Northern Cape, which is mostly Karoo, correct? It looks like animals might be few and far between in that sort of area.

There is plenty of hunting in the Northern Cape and Eastern Cape portions of the Karoo.

Think of it like a dry prairie. (Skipping the game farm parameters)
There are Kudu out there.
The "prairie critters" Blesbok, Springbok, Gemsbok, etc live very well in that country.
The Kalahari Lion hunting up north as well.
Also, when you drop in some "bore holes" it is amazing what can thrive in that country. Sheep for one thing. :)

This shows a good map of the Karoo. You'll love how Karoo gets broken down into yet again more terms: Nama, Succulent, Great, Little, etc.

Karoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Karoo stretches across three provinces. Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Western Cape.
Those guys in the Western Cape like growing wine a lot.

You can see the Biome map in my gallery now.

The three photos of karoo in that article are interesting -- and they differ from the fourth type, which is what is behind the rhino in that photo on Tam's Safari Site. That fourth type is basically grassland.

Here are some examples for you.
Your Rhino could be anywhere in here.

About 100 Km north west of Cradock.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
All these attachments don't open.

Yes, that looks like the area. A lot like American Antelope country in the U.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg