Tyler W Lowery - Global Sporting Expo's SHOW ORGANISER SCAMMER

Discussion in 'Hunting Conventions, Shows & Events' started by Hartzview Hunting Safaris, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    I just want to post this thread to warn any other outfitters to not book with a show if Tyler Lowery is an organizer of the show.

We booked our booths about a year ago and paid $800 for one booth. The last booth's were sold for a mere $50. We were told that there will be 1700 booths with at least 10.000 people moving through the doors on the weekend. (All of this is on e-mails)

Well guys we arrived at the show and the floor plan shrunk to 80 booths of which there was 43 African and Namibian outfitters. Some of the oldest and biggest outfits in South Africa were scammed as well. There was no carpets laid out. Some booths only received their electricity on the Saturday. There was no Freeman as promised on the e-mails and so it goes on.

I gave away only 18 brochures and talked to 2 people for the whole weekend. Tyler Lowery never advertised the show so nobody knew about it. He is not able to give us back our money and he just pulled up his shoulders when we arranged a meeting with him on Saturday.

I hate to badmouth anybody but I just dont want anybody else to loose money to this guy, Tyler Lowery.

I don't even want to know how clients feel when they come to Africa and they were not given what they were promised from the outfitter.

Thank you and best regards,

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Global Sporting Expo's Tulsa Oklahoma Tyler Lowery

Jacques, Thank you for the heads up on Tyler Lowery the organizer and president for the Global Sporting Expo's taking place in Tulsa Oklahoma, USA and I am glad that you took the time and effort to post this report from on the ground. This is truly a valuable piece of information for anyone thinking of participating at any shows that he puts together in the future. I too have had my own very negative experience with this unethical individual.

Over the course of last year I have received emails from Tyler Lowery in regards to the Global Sporting Expo's (Tulsa Convention Center) in Tulsa Oklahoma, USA, here is a copy of one of them as he was trying to promote this show:

2011 Global Sporting Expo

Quick Facts:
    • We have been producing shows for 3 years
    • Attendance will be 20,000 plus
    • Largest show in the lower Midwest (500 Booths)
    • High End show – A lot of our exhibitors are the same as SCI & Dallas Safari
    • We do not allow “Junk” Exhibitors – No Pots & Pans or Water Guns, etc
    • Booth spaces limited by exhibitor type, region, species, etc.
    • Over 65,000 licensed hunter live within 90 miles of the venue that have incomes over $80,000 per year.
    • 3 Day show – January 14 – 16, 2011
    • International airport located 12 miles from the venue
    • Booth Fees: $700 Regular Booth / $800 Corner Booth / $1400 Double Booth
    • Marketing Budget of $100,000 for the January show

Above are some quick fact about our upcoming show. I would love to speak with you more about the show. If you are interested in finding out more, please call me at (479) 619-5559 or simply reply to this email. If you no longer wish to receive information about Global Sporting Expo’s reply “STOP” and your name will be removed from our list.

Sincerely,

Global Sporting Expo’s
    (479) 619-5559 Phone

His contact information
    Tyler Lowery
    Global Sporting Expo’s
    Tulsa Convention Center
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    USA
    Phone (479) 619-5559
    email tyler@globalexpo.arcoxmail.com
    email tylerlowery@cox.net
    email globalexpo@opriusmail.com
    Tyler Lowery | Facebook
    Global Sporting Expo's | Facebook
    Global Sporting Expos
    Global Sporting Expos

3. Bushbuck

Bushbuck AH Enthusiast

I can really feel for you guys. We have done numerous shows in our business. The biggest expense is not even the cost of the booths. The loss in Time, flights, ground travel, lodging, labor, food, and addl expenses are big for a small business. Also when a show goes bad and that was a big percentage of your anticipated business for the upcoming year, the pain is felt for months to come.

4. Kbostian

Kbostian New Member

Tulsa should not be blamed for expo flop

A lot of people in the outdoor community in Tulsa expressed worry to me about the show this week. I've looked into it some and wrote the column linked below today for the Tulsa World. He did claim to have sent press releases to the newspaper but none of my colleagues could confirm that. He did not seem particularly press-savvy in our interactions.

Tulsa should not be blamed for expo flop | Tulsa World

Tulsa should not be blamed for expo flop
    by Kelly Bostian, World Outdoors Writer

Tulsa's outdoors sports reputation may get a black eye out of the failure of the Global Sporting Expo held last weekend at the Tulsa Convention Center, but if it does it's not deserved.

Shows and expos are important business to guides and outfitters, and they rely on attendance to book most of their trips. Sometimes these shows don't do well, and everybody knows that. But this one was on par with inviting Willie Nelson to play and ending up with a few passersby dropping in for a brief listen. Willie wouldn't be back after that.

Word travels fast in the hunting and fishing community - this one is already making Internet discussion boards - and the Arkansas-based company's flop will become infamous. In case you haven't heard, the expo organized by Tyler Lowery of Global Sporting Expo claimed it would be the "Midwest's largest" with 200 vendors representing 19 countries and 20,000 people in attendance. The show seemed to come through with vendors - high-quality ones from all over the world - but total attendance was only 500 according to Lowery - even less according to some who were there.

"Nobody showed up," said Craig Schell of Double D Outfitters in Montana. "They told me they only sold 45 tickets Saturday."

Vendors, some who traveled from Africa, were so upset that they had a meeting with Lowery on Saturday afternoon that turned ugly. "They called him every name in the book," Schell said.

People were upset because they spent a great deal of money and time to get there. "It cost me over two grand and I answered one question and gave out eight brochures - and three of those were to other exhibitors," Schell said.

"I've never seen so many outfitters so angry in all my life," said Gary Purdy, National Wild Turkey Federation regional coordinator. The conservation non-profit group had a free booth at the show. "Sunday I was talking to people just trying to do damage control for Tulsa and Oklahoma," he said.

Scott Hood, president of the Tulsa Fly Fishers, said he did the same as he walked around the venue. "I felt really bad for people," he said. "I hope Tulsa doesn't end up with a black eye out of it."

"He gave Tulsa, Oklahoma, a bad name with a lot of us who traveled there. ... If they hear about a show in Tulsa in the future you can bet they're going to break and run the other way," Schell said.

Lowery said mistakes may have been made but there are no lies, cons or dishonesty. He said he spent $50,000 on advertising alone, chiefly in television ads targeted around conservative news shows and sports and outdoors programming. He said he also direct-mailed more than 20,000 postcards to upper-income homes within 90 miles of Tulsa that cross-referenced against a list of hunting-license holders.

He said the proof that he's not a con artist is he's not hiding, is taking plenty of lumps and that the future of his business is in doubt at this point. "I want to be clear that I'm not trying to dodge any blame here," Lowery said. "I especially don't want it to sound like I blame the people of Tulsa."

Some vendors felt burned and they will talk to others who may be wary of investing in a Tulsa appearance in the future. But in this case a 32-year-old promoter with three years in business had a flop. It was not Tulsa's flop.

Marcus Montgomery of Montgomery Productions, organizers of the sport and tackle shows coming in January and February in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, said he is confident such a showing won't hurt their show or others. "We don't think that just because a new show didn't do well that it will hurt market awareness for our shows," he said.

"This is a misrepresentation of the market in general," he said. "There is a market for this and it is very strong in the state of Oklahoma."

5. AfricaHunting.com

My Photos:
    Thanks Kelly for posting your article.

6. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Thank you Kelly. In my opinion he could have told all of us that he is going to try the show for the first time and give us an option where too we can take the blame by going to Tulsa. Instead he told us that it is the largest show in the Midwest etc. I just feel that he could have been honest from the day he started organising the show....

Best regards,

7. AfricaHunting.com

My Photos:
    I could not agree with you more Jacques. Interesting Tyler Lowery from Global Sporting Expo's did not wait any time in shutting down his Global Sporting Expo's website and Facebook account... Interesting!

8. AfricaHunting.com

My Photos:
    Hunting Show Touted As ‘Largest In Midwest’ Flops At Tulsa Convention Center

In the news...

Hunting Show Touted As ‘Largest In Midwest’ Flops At Tulsa Convention Center
    by Tara Vreeland

TULSA, Oklahoma -- A trade show touted as the "largest hunting and outdoor exhibition in the Midwest," turned out to be everything but.

Thousands of dollars were spent and thousands of people were expected, but that wasn't the case at the Tulsa Convention Center.

The organizer says some of the biggest names in hunting outfitters and fishing lodges were on hand at the Tulsa convention Center.

It was supposed to be the best yet.

They took aim at an attendance of 20,000, but really missed the target - only about 500 showed.

The Global Sporting Expo had all the elements. The brand new Tulsa Convention Center, booths and vendors from 19 countries and the lure of deep discounts on hunts and fishing trips.

"We had a great show, everything looked great… The public just didn't show up," said Tyler Lowery, Global Sporting Expos.

The Arkansas based company says it spent more than $50,000 in advertising alone.

"In hindsight, we probably should have put the money into billboards after speaking with other producers that do shows in that market like the Tulsa gun show and the Tulsa boat shows," Lowry said.

Lowery says they expected to profit $100,000 and another $30,000 for charities, but instead, they lost $120,000.

Some of the vendors, like White Peaks Ranch out of Utah, say the excitement to hit the Oklahoma market turned sour. And they say they feel scammed.

"If it was a scam, we wouldn't be here. We wouldn't have spent the money to get the venue. We wouldn't have spent the money to get the booths set up. Insurance for the event. I wouldn't have stood at the venue all three days if it was a scam," Lowery said.

Though it wasn't a total loss, Lowery says one in ten consumers bought a hunt.

"If we had the numbers that were projected to have, and paid for in advertising it would have been one of the most successful shows in the country," he said.

But the touted "best" experienced the "worst" due to the no-shows.

Lowrey says they counted on the Tulsa market to be a launch pad for other hunting trade shows. But after this weekend's flop, they say they have to step back and reevaluate.

They do not have any other shows planned for this year.

Source: news9.com

9. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    It sounds like someone stepped in way over their head. I don't see how they expected to draw 20,000 to Tulsa, OK, for a new show. These things start off small and grow. They just don't start off huge! And this economy expectations shouldn't be too high. The Dallas Safari Club and SCI National show are very good shows....so is Ovis Expo and the Utah Sportsman Expo.

10. AfricaHunting.com

My Photos:
    WARNING - Tyler W Lowery at it again with Mid-South Hunting & Outdoor Expo

Well, I guess Tyler W Lowery is at it again, this time promoting a hunting show called Mid-South Hunting & Outdoor Expo. Just received an email from him (Booking Coordinator - info@pci.arcoxmail.com)with a subject Outdoor Industry News.

From what happened last year I would caution anyone thinking of participating or exhibiting at this hunting show called Mid-South Hunting & Outdoor Expo.

Here are some of his contact information:
    Mid-South Hunting & Outdoor Expo
    Tyler Lowery
    lowery.tyler@gmail.com
    PCI Promotions LLC
    2 Oldham Ln
    Bella Vista, Arkansas 72714
    United States
    479-619-5559

Here is the content from his email:
    2011 Mid-South Hunting & Outdoor Expo
    August 26-28, 2011
    Springfield Missouri E-Plex

We still have room for a few select:
    Big Game Outfitters
    Wing Shooting
    Fishing Guides
    Outdoor Products & Accessories

Springfield Missouri Metro Plex Fact
    Home of the largest outdoor retailer Bass Pro Shops
    150,000 Licensed hunters reside within 60 miles of the show
    This is the only show that happens within 4 hours drive time
    Great Venue to sell out last minute trips, pre-sell 2012 trips, and boost sales during pre-hunting season sales time.

We would love to speak with you more about exhibiting at the 2011 Mid-South Hunting & Outdoor Expo. To obtain more information on the show CLICK HERE. We look forward to hearing from you.

Our newly re-designed website is launching in 48 hours. Please check it out and see what is happening at www.pciexpo.com

Attached Files:

11. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    Jerome,

Thank you for putting this up. He has probably gotten a new database as I have not recieved anything from him. I just hope that he will not catch a lot of outfitters again.... If this one is a succes I give it to him but I will certainly not attend on the first year again!

Thanks for the warning.

12. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    FYI Some facts:
    Tulsa population 393,000,

Dallas population 1.2 million, Dallas County 2.3 million

Dallas Safari Club Record Attendance
    "(early estimates — not counting exhibitors or staff topped 26,000 based on day pass sales)"

Sounds like this guy is delusional if he thought he could get comparable attendance at a first show or any show comparable to a large SCI chapter!

13. proguide

proguide New Member

Member of:
    DALLAS SAFARI CLUB,ROWLAND WARD GUILD OF SPORTSMAN,NAPHA,WILD SHEEP FOUNDATION , NASP ( National Archery in schools program )
    Hunted:
    Namibia,South Africa,Mozambique,Tanzania,Zambia,Zimbabwe,France,Germany,Sweden,Finland,U.S.A.
    Just want to point out that Dallas Safari Club is not a chapter of SCI !