Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Two rhinos shot at Queenstown reserve

ANOTHER STATISTIC: A rhino killed 10 days ago on a reserve in the mountains near Queenstown

TWO more rhinos have been killed on a game reserve on the outskirts of Queenstown over the past two weeks, bringing the death toll in the Eastern Cape to 12 since January – the highest annual number of deaths ever in the province.

The two white rhinos, both breeding bulls, were shot dead with high-powered hunting rifles on the Wildschutsberg Game Reserve in the Stormberg Mountains near Queenstown.

The first one was killed 10 days ago, but the poachers failed to remove the horns. The second was killed on Sunday, its horns hacked off with a panga or saw.

Now Eastern Cape rhino owners, worried that poachers are being squeezed out of other provinces by tighter security and are looking for easier targets, have raised concerns about security measures in the province.

Organised crime unit detectives, forensic experts and environmental authorities were still at the game reserve yesterday afternoon, searching for clues.

The rhinos were shot with a .458-calibre hunting rifle.

This is in contrast to previous poaching incidents in the province when the rhinos were darted with a lethal dose of a veterinary drug.

Attachments

• rhinodead.jpg
    rhinodead.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 113
Bob that is troubling to hear.

In August while near Durban, i inquired about a drive to see some white rhino on a concession that i have visited a few years ago. That was a game drive my wife wanted to take, so that she could see White Rhinos in the wild. (so to say) They had about 8 WR on the concession, i was informed that 4 of the WR were killed earlier this year by poachers, and that the area was now being restricted. (meaning more security)

We did find another conservancy to view the White Rhinos, however they were close to head quarters and were being monitored very closely 24 X 7. We were able to drive fairly close and saw 3 males, 2 relatively young rhinos and 3 female. With one to have a little one soon. They did not tell me how many were on the conservancy, however they were being watched.

Over 620 rhinos have been killed in RSA this year by poachers. There seems to be poaching activity 24/7 going on in the RSA. People are always planning and plotting to kill white rhinos :(.

Wow 620 rhinos so far this year! The outlook for the species is not good at that rate.

I have never liked reading these posts..... However, I will attempt to help stop it, from here in the US. If I lived there, might have to come out of retirement to help. Love the guys/gals who try to stop it.

When I was in Limpopo 3 weeks ago the PH told me that a rhino had been killed on a near by concession that day but the poachers were not able to get the horns as they think it went some distance after being shot.

.458 weapon ?! Something smells.

I have personally seen this rhino and feel sick to see him now, poor bugger! My wife worked at a game reserve, sorry cannot mention the name for obvious reasons, they had 4 rhino poached in one night. They came in with helicopters and vehicles. Forensics worked out that from the moment they arrived till they killed the rhino and left with the horns, took them 7 minutes in total!!! My wife is in the background holding the drip.
Justine rhino.jpg

This one, no! But another one they did.

I was near Botswana this week and had a large helicopter fly over after I harvested my giraffe. We discussed it may be poachers and soon after a message came over the radio as the officials where looking for it as it was not supposed to be in the area so more less they where up to no good and probably poachers. We saw two rhino a few miles away the next day while hunting my lioness and we believe that's what they where after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg