Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
Turkey season is right around the corner for me and has started in many places in the US. I just went to Cabela's and they had some Flambeau decoys on sale for $11 each. A great deal for a decoy that looks decent and rolls up nicely.

I'm not the best turkey hunter, but I give it my best. I know every turkey hunter has their favorite places, but what about tactics.
What tactics do you use in your area that work well? Any special kind of setup? Decoys, no decoys? Type of call? Bow or gun?

Help out your fellow AH members and let's get some gobblers down this spring!

24 days to go, but who's counting ... I like to watch them roost at night and in the am slip in with a quick pop up blind and call them in as they come off the roost. A jake and hen is my typical decoy set up and although I use box and slate calls a mouth reed is usually my go to call. I usually use the shotgun, but this year I think I will try one with the bow, once the first one is in the pot! Best of luck to all this season!

My wife and I are absolutely obsessed with turkey hunting! It is by far, my favorite game animal to hunt. We started out the season last weekend if Florida. Next, we will be heading up to western Kentucky at the end of the month. We try to hunt a different destination each Spring. Here are a couple of pics from our Nebraska hunt last Spring to get you motivated.... Good luck to everyone turkey hunting this year!

IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG

Dan,

Excellent Toms! Nebraska is a great Turkey state. I've seen turkeys in western Nebraska on farm fields in the hundreds. Very different from hunting in my home state of Colorado. The turkeys are more scattered here. Love the pictures!

Outstanding looking toms sir!

Turkey!!! Got a hen decoy to go with my Jake this year. My son is using his bow and I haven't decided yet but will probably go shotgun.

I love Turkey hunting!!!! Run and gun, sit and wait, hiding behind the fan, flock of decoys, no decoys, coming off the roost, going to the roost....yeah there is no right way or wrong way, just have fun with it!!!

Like goose ...the more decoys the better . I've put 9 out at once ! You don't even have to call ....they see them they come running ....them and every coyote in the concession !
Glen

The better half and I got out for the first time this year yesterday and managed to get a double! These guys came in hell bent on mischief and ruining our tom decoy's day!
IMG_20160430_181123556_HDR.jpg

Oh wow, that's great!!

Great birds adgunner

The better half and I got out for the first time this year yesterday and managed to get a double! These guys came in hell bent on mischief and ruining our tom decoy's day!
View attachment 149913
Great Toms! I'm glad someone is having some luck. I go out for the first time this weekend. I'm taking my bow only, so I hope I can get a shot.

Best of luck this weekend!

That's it for us this year! The turkeys were much more last weekend on Sat and were gobbling when we arrived. As there was so much noise we split up and she went to one field while I headed for the other. I had hardly got to my blind when I could see birds dropping down out of the roost at my end of the field. No amount of calling tempted this group at all and they headed off into the bush. Two lone hens cut the corner of my field a little while later and I had a nice chat with them for awhile. I had a tom get vocal and I called him into about 100 yards when he spied those two lone hens and followed them off into the woods. I hadn't heard my better half calling and put it down to the wind blowing a bit ... when ... bang ... one quick shot and a text comes in right away saying she got a nice tom. She said he snuck in super quiet and put on quite a strutting display in front of her hen/jake setup.

As an aside the gun is a verney-carron shotgun that she inherited from her uncle in France and this was the first game taken with it, kinda special for her.

I filled my second tag on a jake a couple of days later.

IMG_20160507_083101406.jpg

Gizmo your place must be crawling with turkey! Not a lot of trees so where do the rio birds tend to roost?

Gizmo your place must be crawling with turkey! Not a lot of trees so where do the rio birds tend to roost?
Actually you'd be surprised at the amount of trees in the creek beds. That's where the birds roost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!