Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Make sure there is power in the battery before you hit the airport.

Enhanced security measures at certain airports overseas

Sunday, July 6, 2014
Last week, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson directed TSA to implement enhanced security measures at certain overseas airports with direct flights to the United States.

As the traveling public knows, all electronic devices are screened by security officers. During the security examination, officers may also ask that owners power up some devices, including cell phones. Powerless devices will not be permitted onboard the aircraft. The traveler may also undergo additional screening.

TSA will continue to adjust security measures to ensure that travelers are guaranteed the highest levels of aviation security conducted as conveniently as possible.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2014/07/06/enhanced-security-measures-certain-airports-overseas

Brickburn I travel in the states two times a week most weeks. It would seem that they are changing up the routine again. If the lap top or phone will not power up it will not fly.......so don't forget to charge everything up folks. Best thing one can do is get the TSA pass which I am in the process of doing.

I could write a book about CBP, TSA and NY Port cops etc., per my latest trip. Travel is becoming a nightmare!

It can be for sure! Every now and then there is a aggressive agent who wants to get in everyone's space and impose their will on people. I would rather deal with that than some nut job in the air so I tell them to do what they have to do.

Apparently the TSA has discovered some putz that is making bombs out of cell phones.
The enhancement is for flight originating in particular places. Africa apparently is on the hit list.

If my phone is dead maybe I just won't come back.

It can be for sure! Every now and then there is a aggressive agent who wants to get in everyone's space and impose their will on people. I would rather deal with that than some nut job in the air so I tell them to do what they have to do.
Not so much any agents were more pain than others, just that there is so much redundancy. Most of the hassles I had were on return! SAPS was a breeze. The 2 JFK port cops we dealt with were kind of a hoot actually, but just more motions to go thru and time spent. JFK CBP guys were pretty fussy about stuff but didn't fine me or try to confiscate anything, just being a pain. Took near an hour to get out of there. The airline/airport personal are dangerously stupid and ignorant of anything to do with guns. I got the royal runaround when trying to re-check my gun case to a different airline. I learned one thing for sure, in fact I already knew it but didn't think it could be this bad. Unless impossible for some reason, make sure to book your domestic flight with a partner airline to your Africa flight so that they will make the gun transfer for you from line to line, otherwise you have to physically make the transfer yourself and that is where the pain really starts, especially at JFK! It made the travel part of the trip all that much more miserable, and that's saying something.

That is exactly right Sestoppelman book flights with same airline all the way or partners. I have used Delta both times from Kansas City all the way to Joberg. Checked the guns one time going and really once coming back but Atlanta had an extra hoop to jump through this time because of US Dept of Agriculture concerns but easy all in all.

Just Read this Post and thought I would add a pic as to the reason why. Notice the 4 raised buttons on the phone this is how it is fired the device on the bottom of the phone is use for arming it.
Italian cell phone gun.jpg

Bob thanks for sharing. I think we would all agree that TSA does a lot to keep us safe. Rather be put out on the ground than in the air!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross