trouble finding good hunting boots

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
for the last couple months ive been searching for a good pair of hunting boots but have had no luck. its getting to the point where im running out of time before my hunt so im getting a bit desperate. ive tried ordering online but I have very strange feet (short/wide) so its extremely hard to find a pair that fits right. my current boots are Red Wing steel toe boots size 9 1/2 US E3. these boots are very comfortable but are heavy and very loud.

I need a good set of boots for stalking that will be comfortable but wont make too much noise. I also require tall boots to protect my ankles (at least 8"). the most important part is I need to be able to try them on before buying them!

suggestions?

-matt

I learned from my wife to just order a bunch from Amazon or Zappos, try them on at home, keep the ones that fit, and send the rest back. Pick something that looks promising and bracket your anticipated size.

Could also go custom made. I have a couple pairs of shoes from Loveless and they fit better than anything off the rack, but there is significant lead time and the cost may exceed your desired budget.

And, get two pairs of boots that fit, break them in and wear one pair on the plane. Broken-in, properly fitting boots are one thing you cannot replace for any money. While that goes for everyone, it goes double if you have odd feet.

ive lost hundreds in return shipping from buying boots online... wont make that mistake again. custom made would be great but I don't have the time, my hunt is in May.

ive tried every local sporting good store including Cabelas. ive heard good things about Danner boots but cant find a place that has more then just their work boots.

-matt

If the local stores don't have anything and you won't shop online, road trip sounds like the only option left. Lots of people have good things to say about White's boots- they are located in WA; Danner also has a store in WA. The Danner's I've tried ran narrow, but I haven't tried that hard with that brand.

never heard of Oakley boots before. thanks for the link, ill check em out.

im gonna try these as well: http://www.danner.com/tanicus-8-mojave-danner-dry.html

I had a local store order the danner tanicus 8" for me and they should be available to try in a couple days.

-matt

Courtney boots made in Africa for the African bush ...... buy them in SA , walk in them for a day before your hunt and they will be 100% Matt.

Courtney boots made in Africa for the African bush ...... buy them in SA , walk in them for a day before your hunt and they will be 100% Matt.

I love my Russell's but wouldn't mind a pair of Courtney boots as well. Do you have a rough idea of what the Selous runs in Rand? I might try and pick up a pair in May...

I love my Russell's but wouldn't mind a pair of Courtney boots as well. Do you have a rough idea of what the Selous runs in Rand? I might try and pick up a pair in May...

approx R2500 or $200

approx R2500 or $200

Thanks!

Nancy is gonna be mad when I ask her if she wants to go shoe shopping while in SA And then figures out it is for me.... :V Butt Kick:

I got my Courtenays in Zim last year. Because of the job I do I had the chance to wear them for six days before going to hunt. Contrary to the above I did not find them particularly comfortable. The soles are very hard. After I got home I bought a pair of gel insoles which transformed them completely and now they are like gloves. So, be warned, they might take a bit of getting used to.
Incidentally I bought the Patrol version which has the high leg. Have fun.

for the last couple months ive been searching for a good pair of hunting boots but have had no luck. its getting to the point where im running out of time before my hunt so im getting a bit desperate. ive tried ordering online but I have very strange feet (short/wide) so its extremely hard to find a pair that fits right. my current boots are Red Wing steel toe boots size 9 1/2 US E3. these boots are very comfortable but are heavy and very loud.

I need a good set of boots for stalking that will be comfortable but wont make too much noise. I also require tall boots to protect my ankles (at least 8"). the most important part is I need to be able to try them on before buying them!

suggestions?

-matt

Red Wings are good boots. If you have a store close you might walk in and get fitted and see what models they have in stock

i dont like the idea of buying boots and hunting in them 2-3 days later. i like at least a week for break in and to find out if they fit me properly.

-matt

I wear 10.5 EEE and have an incredibly high arch. The best boots I have found are Danner Hiking boots. Bought two pair from Cabela's(the local store is one of the three giant ones, all other Cabela's are much smaller). Bought one pair and realized I really liked them. Decided to buy another pair but wanted a different model. Called Danner and they were very knowledgeable and told me which models were built on the same last as the ones I'd purchased. The one model I was most interested in is built on a different last. Danner told me to go up a size and I would get the same fit. They were spot on. Neither pair required much break in either.

i dont like the idea of buying boots and hunting in them 2-3 days later. i like at least a week for break in and to find out if they fit me properly.
is
-matt

Hi Matt85,

First safari I wore my well broken in Redwing boots (old enough that I had to have them resoled a year or so before that hunt).

Next three safaris I wore Courteney brand.

The Redwings were excellent except noticeably heavier than Courteneys.

I plan to continue wearing the Courteneys on future safaris.

Probably don't want to hear this but you're mighty close to launch time to start shopping for boots.

Provided they are already broken-in, whatever you hunt in here will work.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

PS:
Any place I have been in Africa so far, I could have done just as well with a pair of heavy duty tennis shoes ("cross trainers" with an aggressive sole pattern).
I always bring a pair of these as my "camp shoes" and as backup, just in case my boots rip a seam or whatever.

Last edited:
Probably don't want to hear this but you're mighty close to launch time to start shopping for boots.

common now Velo Dog, yer bad habit of skimming over posts is getting the better of you. here:
for the last couple months ive been searching for a good pair of hunting boots but have had no luck.

i didnt just start searching for boots yesterday. ive probably bought and returned about 6 different pairs of boots looking for something that fits properly and is comfortable to walk a great distance in. i always have trouble finding a pair of boots that fit me properly so i usually find one brand/type and stick to it (my current Redwings). this is the first time in maybe a decade that ive tried looking for a new type of boot.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg