Trophy shipping

Jackson

Reaction score
Media
Has anyone used a broker for shipping their trophys to the us I was just told to get one by a friend and I leave day after tomorrow to South Africa if its important to get one how much will I have to set aside to pay them give or take
Thanks
Jackson

Jackson,

Do a Forum search and look at the Sticky threads in Before and After the hunt section. There is alot of useful information for you about the best ways to handle the process of getting your trophies back to the U.S.

As far as your question, you will not need a broker to ship your trophies, you will need one to receive them once they arrive in the nearest port of entry back here in the U.S. Your trophies or trophy parts are going to be shipped via an independent shipping company that will be chosen for you by the Taxidermist or Dip & Pack company that processes your trophies on the African side. You have the right to choose your own companies for both Dip & Pack and taxidermy services. Unfortunately, it's probably a bit late to do your own research on them if you are leaving in 2 days. Make sure that you discuss your plans for your trophies thoroughly with your outfitter and find out who they work with before you leave Africa. Many times, you may be able to tour the facility or meet a rep from the company during your hunt.

Some hunters have cleared thier own trophies without the use of a receiving agent/broker. It is possible if you have the time, resources, and logistics to do so.... Personally, I have used a receiving agent my last 4 trips and will continue to do so. It's much more convenient to have them file your paperwork, meet with the right people, and forward the trophies right to my taxidermst's studio.... It's hard to estimate the cost because the weight of each hunters trophy shipment will vary. However, a reputable broker can give you a good faith estimate based on similar past shipments. Good Luck!

Holy crap, that is leaving some details to the last minute.

Someone will be doing the export paperwork for you from South African side.
Who does it will be determined by your choice of product (D&P, taxidermy, etc)
Outfitter, PH, Taxidermist and Shipping Company will all have some hands on the paperwork.

Where are you located?
Your profile has no info. The country of residence does matter!

Your side you will have time to decide. Go hunt, have fun.

As noted above.
Do some searching .... There are lots of threads on this subject.

I'm in montana .
Don't get to worried you've got a little time. Either way you do it dip and pack or do the Taxidermy work there you have a little time you will go through the taxidermist there to do it either way and they will go through a shipping agent to get them shipped to the USA they will handle all the import paperwork. you can get an Estimate of cost of shipping while your there and find out where your port of entry is. You will have a few months before your trophies get shipped so when you get back contact a customs broker near your port of entry give them your list of animals and they can get things started on this side of the pond, once those three groups are in contact with each other its just a matter of shelling out a few bucks to make it happen, one way to save a few dollars is if you live close enough to your POE you can drive there and pick them up yourself your broker will walk you through that part, if its to far you may have to pay to have it shipped to your home and that can cost almost as much as shipping from RSA but get an estimate. Hope this helps

Remember too that you can only clear finished trophies, not raw animal parts. Raw parts must go to a taxidermist and you cant clear those yourself.

What Bob said.
You will need a broker in all likelihood. I doubt there is a port of entry for this type of goods in Montana.
It will likely enter in some other state and it will not be worth your drive.

You do have some time. Your outfitter will likely be doing the initial field processing.
Choose your taxidermist wisely.

Good luck.

There is a POE in Montana, cannot for sure remember where. Get a hold of Jack Atchesons in Butte, in fact Butte may be the POE.

There is a POE in Montana, cannot for sure remember where. Get a hold of Jack Atchesons in Butte, in fact Butte may be the POE.

Lots of POE's in Montana, but the designated POE for the trophies should be the first place it touches the ground in the USA.
This POE is where inspections take place.
I do not think there are any direct flights into Montana from RSA.

I just checked Atchesons site and they now list Seattle as the POE. They used to state Butte as such, but that was some time ago I admit. Things change. If I lived in MT, I would still check with them, they are good people.

Remember too that you can only clear finished trophies, not raw animal parts. Raw parts must go to a taxidermist and you cant clear those yourself.

Thanks Sest I always have mine mounted in RSA and have never had to deal with that learn something new and good to know.

Has anyone used a broker for shipping their trophys to the us I was just told to get one by a friend and I leave day after tomorrow to South Africa if its important to get one how much will I have to set aside to pay them give or take
Thanks
Jackson

Jackson,

First of all don't let this stress you out. I was long back from my first trip to RSA before I ever had knowledge that these import brokers existed. If you're having your taxidermy done over there, you'll have at least a few months after you get back before the trophies will be ready to ship. If you're going to go the dip and pack route and have the raw skins / horns sent to your taxidermist here, then that time will be shorter.

Whatever you decide, I used the folks at Hunter's International. They're based in the San Francisco area but they'll get you your trophies. I spent roughly $500 for their services.

| Hunter International Brokerage Services, Inc.

Have a great trip and don't let this distract you!

Phil

gday phil ,if you guys in the states get your taxidermy done in Africa do you still have use a broker or can you have them sent straight to you .
im trying to find out if I can get it done like that into oz but I keep running into dead ends .
everyone is giving conflicting answers

bluey,

If you have completed trophies shipped to you here in the states, you can pick them up but you must deal directly with Wildlife and Customs. Its not a big deal but does take a bit of time and signing a few forms. I have done this several times now and its easy. Raw animal parts, no way. They must be picked up by or delivered to a taxidermist, which involves a broker of some sort. Either way even completed trophies are not shipped directly to your home, but to a shipping company, whereupon the paperwork starts with the Feds.

thanks ses now I can use this when im trying to get some sense out of these office monkeys I keep getting passed onto ,its like playing pass the parcel

thanks ses now I can use this when im trying to get some sense out of these office monkeys I keep getting passed onto ,its like playing pass the parcel

I think ses pretty much handled it. I paid the man, but my trophies went into Los Angeles, some 6 or so hours away by car. With time pressing it was worth it for me to pay them so that I could go there pick them up at the airport and get out.

Also bear in mind, per what Phil says, I pick mine up in Seattle a major port that is only about an hour and a half from home. Makes it easy.

I also had Hunter Int. receive my shipment of trophies. My tax. Here had me ship it directly to the tannery. It worked out great and because I had a pig it also solved the USDA receiving problem!

I got to thinking about the 41/2 hour drive from home to the shipping agent once phil said it .
if l could get some sense out the customs I would make the decision .
can you tell how much more the shipping is between a smaller crate of skins and horns to a big crate of mounts ?
thanks

That's a good question bluey, those shipping companies like to make lots of money. They see you coming from miles away!(lol)
The last small shipment cost me a MINT, I have not forgot about it either!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,