www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Gentleman,
Apart from having your trophy "recreated" at the taxidermist, the simple, still photograph must be the most important aspects of one's trip regarding recreating some memories. It is the moment in time that has been captured for eternity, once an individual has successfully hunted an animal.
I have seen so many photos of magnificent trophies go to waste, simply because the PH did not take the extra minute of doing a bit of preperation of the scene, in order to reflect the animal in its former glory.
The question that I have and response that I'm looking for, is not about good nor poor photos.
The question is simple. The photo that you decide to put on the wall of your home, is it the one where it is only you and the trophy, or is it the photo including the PH?

Looking forward to your responses,

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

For me it's a simple answer, just me and the animal. No disrespect to the PH or trackers, but otherwise I get asked a million questions why they are in the picture. And when I send my pictures to my friends, they want to see the animal and the background....and I do too...if I blow a picture up.

I do like pictures of the whole team in my picture photo book, that I can page through when I need to...to remind myself why I go to work and all the great memories I have...of my days in Africa.

Agree with enysse.

I believe in doing both myself.Plus since africa is different then must outfitted hunting here in the states I also plan on having the trackers if used in pictures also.I believe in taking alot of pic's and include all who make the hunt a great memory.With my son I have as many pic's with the guide he had as with me.Then I take alot of pic's of just him also.I hope to try to video most of his africa hunt this year also.

Digital Age

Marius - Enysse & Sestoppelman

With the digital age shoot all the pictures:thumbsup: and angles you want and edit them later.

I like photos:
1. Self
2. Self & PH
3. Self & Trackers
4. Self & PH & Trackers

and if i have some one along then they are added also and added second in line.

Next year on my trip i will take the time change the animal pose to take another view of the animal.

A video of the experience is what i will be leaning toward in the future. I am told that you are able to copy frames from the video to make pictures from.:)

James,
I agree 100 percent with you. With digital cameras , there is no limit to the amount of pictures you can take.Taking a whole bunch is always recommended, since you can sort them out later. I am just trying to establish, whether you guys, as the hunters, preferred the photo with or without the PH.
Having your hunt caught on video is really great. I have a filmed hunt in June and will post the complete video here, once it is done.
For what time of the year were you planning on making your trip for 2012?

Best Regards
Marius

Of course, I'll want to play the big b'wana and have myself in the picture. ;-)

Also, if I do my homework and play my cards right, my PH will end up being my friend and I'll want him in some photos, too. It makes a difference to me when I'm hunting with a friend, rather than merely a guide. I'll include at least a few pics of my PH with me and the animal in my trophy room. It would seem only fitting.

Trackers (hopefully not necessary!) and skinners are all part of the expereince and I'll want at least a few of them for my photo album, but not necessarily for the display photos. who knows, though. I may change my mind after I've been there.

I don t have space on my walls for photos, on my digital albums, I have all types of photos, animal alone, with myself, with PH, with trackers, with ph s dog.
Camp staff also.
They have all been part of the experience.

I need to get a digital photo album for my living room! I putting it on my Christmas list! I think trackers and skinners are very much part of the hunt. They are so clever and such hard workers...that I'm proud to have them in the pictures. And is great to have good chemistry with your PH. He definitely should be in the pictures. I think it's very important to get a lot of background pictures...so people can picture the environment where the hunt took place.

James,
I agree 100 percent with you. With digital cameras , there is no limit to the amount of pictures you can take.Taking a whole bunch is always recommended, since you can sort them out later. I am just trying to establish, whether you guys, as the hunters, preferred the photo with or without the PH.
Having your hunt caught on video is really great. I have a filmed hunt in June and will post the complete video here, once it is done.
For what time of the year were you planning on making your trip for 2012?

Best Regards
Marius

I usually take photos with both. However, the ones I typically display are without the PH.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to get my 2 cents in. As I've said elsewhere, I don't like these photos where the horns of the animal are, or the animal itself is made to look larger than real life. In any future hunts, I am going to make sure to take a photo, myself, of the animal from a reasonable distance back. This is the photo I would post on the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross