Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
Can someone provide me with a name for the tree that looks like a bowl stuck on top of a stem that I saw in the Eastern Cape? I thought my PH said it was an Umglongo tree, but I can't find any reference to such a thing. It looked like it might be a member of either the cactus family or some type of succulent.

Postoak I can't see you picture on this end can you see it on your post if not you may have to reload it. Bob

Some further research indicates it is some sort of Euphorbia tree.

I don't see it either but if it looks like a cactus it's almost certainly a Euphorbia of some sort and the most common is probably the Euphorbia Ingens. Common name is giant candelabra tree.

FWIW, the sap of all the euphorbias is a white milky fluid and is nasty as hell. you can use it to burn warts off and a branch thrown into a waterhole will stun all the fish within a few minutes and you can just wade in & pick 'em up.

It also has no use for firewood, carving or fodder etc which is why you see them growing around native areas where all the other trees have been cut down and they've created a virtual desert, - I guess the fact that they survive those conditions just goes to show how hardy these trees are

Oh and I've also noticed it's VERY common for them to be growing so close to another (non euphorbia) tree they're often touching each other....... I've no proof of why this happens but suspect it must be something to do with bird droppings and wouldn't be in the least surprised if the euphorbia roots produce extra nitrogen or similar that encourages growth.

Euphorbia ingens

IMG_0103_zps0c37abe1.jpg

Ha! I finally gave up on the insert image function and just copied and pasted the link directly here.

Attachments

• IMG_0103_zps0c37abe1.jpg
    IMG_0103_zps0c37abe1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 92
Looks like Euphorbia to me but impossible to say if it Ingens or other from that pic.

I have a buddy who's a real fundi on succulents so will ask him to check this thread out.

I'm with Steve.
Euphorbia
Your pick after that:
1. Confinalis
2. Cooperi
3. Evansii

Just had a reply from my buddy who is a REAL fundi on African succulents & he says:

"It could be E curvirama, but that is a very localised specie, or E grandidens, or E triangularis, or the most likely, E tetrogona. The IsiXhosa name for all of them is umhlontlo"

Thanks to all. It does look most like Euphorbia tetragona and "umhlontlo" is close enough to "umglongo" to make sense.

There you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross