Traveling with same caliber rifles

catosilvaje

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
My brother and I are going to Namibia in May. I will be taking a 9.3x62 donation rifle and a .458 double. I want to also take a little 9.3x62 Mauser. My brother is only taking one rifle a .338 Win. Can he put the donation rifle or my litttle Mauser in his gun case as long as I have all three on my Namibian gun form you fill out at the airport?

catosilvaje,

In regard to the donation rifle, you may want to read this thread for your information: Rifle as a Tip for PH.

To answer your question, there is no limit to the number of firearms per license holder that may be imported safely stored in one locked case into Namibia for trophy hunting purposes, however if traveling through South Africa a maximum of two firearms per hunter are allowed for trophy hunting purposes and hunters cannot bring in more than one firearm per caliber even if you are just in transit. In your case, you should carry one of 9.3x62 and your brother the other to avoid problems in SA... You will both need a "Letter of invitation" from your Namibian outfitter. As far as Namibia is concerned the temporary importation of firearms and ammunition into Namibia is free of charge and the process is quick and easy.

Some European countries also have greater limitation than Namibia as to the number of firearms which can be brought into their country even while in transit. You should read the Africa Hunting article on Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons by clicking here.

We are going to Frankfurt then Windhoek not through SA. Does Namibia have same caliber restrictiones ? Meaning two 9.3's on my Namibian gun form . He will be leaving before I do so his gun form should have only his rifle on it unless I sell him the donation rifle and he has the letter of donation to give them when he leaves.

Namibia does not have same caliber restrictions as SA so you will be able to travel there with your two 9.3x62. Sorry I don't understand your question regarding the donation rifle.

When we get to the airport in Windhoek and fill out the gun form I should put all three on my form even though my rifle will be in his case. They seem real helpfull in the airport gun room but don't want to confuse them. I'll talk to Schickerling { Johnny, my friend an PH} also.

I personally would complete the Namibian Temporary Import/Export Permit Application Form for the firearm(s) and/or ammunition that I am bringing in even though they may be in someone else's case with whom I am traveling with.

As to expedite the process when declaring your firearms upon entry into Namibia, you can fill out the Temporary Import/Export Permit Application Form beforehand (prior to leaving the States), leaving it unsigned (as it must be signed in front of customs officials) and carry it with you to Namibia, along with a second copy for yourself just to be on the safe... Click here to print a copy of the Temporary Import/Export Permit Application Form for Namibia.

catosilvaje,

The Namibian PH I hunted with last year told me he was only allowed to own two centrefire rifles. I'm sure one of the Namibians on this forum could confirm that.
If that's the case, you may be taking a gift that he can't accept.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you