Traveling with guns in transit through Paris France

Second Wind

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Member of
by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
Hunted
US, Canada, Mexico
As often is the case at this age my mind wanders

I am curious, best as I can tell getting to C.A.R. requires transit through Paris so I was wondering

Just how much of a problem would traveling through Paris be >

I mean, they really don't much care for Americans so I am concerned as to how they might feel about armed Americans?

I could live with loosing a gun while traveling, that's part of the risk, but, to loose one to the French would really be a problem for me, personally.,

So, anyone have much information on this?

France Weapon / Ammunition Transiting Procedures

Second Wind, Traveling through Paris with guns is actually a pretty smooth process, here is some information for you...

Should you be traveling with firearms and ammunition in transit through France on your way to Africa, please go the website for the Embassy of France in Washington DC to read on this topic by clicking here, article called Information for Private Individuals - Firearms and Ammunition.

Should the link to this page no longer exist or should you have further questions please visit their home page at www.ambafrance-us.org and just call Embassy of France in Washington DC directly so they can help you.

If you are not a permanent resident of France and you wish to import during your visit and/or transit hunting articles falling under category V, you are allowed to bring into the country two weapons on a temporary basis as well as 100 cartridges for each weapon. No Import Permit is required but the imported firearms and ammunition must be declared orally with Customs at the port of entry.

Category V (Hunting Firearms):
• Shotguns (single shot) such as 12, 16 and 20 gauge
• Centerfire hunting rifles (provided they are not included in categories I or IV)
• Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels more than 48 cm (19 inches) in length or which are more than 80 cm (31 and a half inches) in overall length, provided they are not designed to fire ammunition used in firearms of categories I and IV
• the ammunition thereof

Hi Second Wind ~ I sent quite a few hunters through Paris to South Africa, Namibia, Cameroon, C.A.R., etc. and as long as you are "in transit" there is no permit required. However, some airlines (Air France in particular) do request advance notification of firearm/ammunition details in your reservation. We transitted through there two years ago coming home from Windhoek/Johannesburg and I think there was some sort of passport control to clear in Paris but we did not touch bags and no question on our firearms, etc.

Hope this helps!

the French are cool with guns....who'd a thunk it?

I have just heard so many horror stories about London and Amsterdam I was just curious, but what I read about C.A.R. is certainly motivational.

So, after whipping out the old atlas, I quickly determined that Houston to Bangui was not going to work without mid-air refueling and these days so few major carriers offer that as an option.

Thanks for the input and help on this one guys. This is such an excellent source of accurate, reliable, first-hand information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.