Traveling with firearms?

Question for any knowledgeable fellows out there. I and another hunter flying into South Africa to plains game hunt in August. Any problem with having two different hunters guns in the same case? To save airline space, ya know.....Sorry about high jacking the thread.

No issues as long as the permits are present.
SAPS won't care one bit.

Have a great hunt.

I even go as far as shipping firearms and gear to outfitters ahead of time to save the hassle in the US.

I had not considered this before, but this could provide the best of both worlds?

Can you ship rifle and ammo in the same container? FedEx?

Flying with guns...not my idea of relaxation!

My wife and I took our own and that was the only option for her. We spent a lot of time with a VERY patient gun salesman finding a gun to fit her and just as much to get a scope that she could see through properly when she shouldered the gun. We practiced with our guns a lot and she had never shot an animal bigger than a squirrel before our trip to RSA. However she was shooting very well. She shot 5 nice PG animals and 4 were one shot kills. And although I deer hunted a lot when I was younger, family and business got prioritized and I had not shot a big game animal in 25 years. I just simply wanted to use my own guns and the ones I practiced with. Maybe we got lucky but we had no issues, paid no bribes, but did hire Henry to meet us in Joberg....worth every penny! Flew Delta and Air France... No problem in Minneapolis or any other places... Actually flew out of Cape Town and had to be patient but Air France was good there as well. Had to present paperwork in Paris but we had it all in order and no issues, just wait in line a bit...... I would say the biggest thing (from my very limited expieriance) is to have all paperwork in order and allow plenty of time upon arriving at the airport and between connections.

Anybody out there have any recent experience with shipping guns thru Amsterdam,,I E-mailed my application 3 weeks ago and haven't heard Squat,,

Brickburn, thanks for the answer to my question. I thought it should be alright, but wanted it confirmed by some one who was more up on these things. I have always traveled to Africa with the wife before this. She uses my 8mm magnum, so never a question before.

my wife and i are handgun hunters so have a much harder time with our guns going to africa than rifles.were going in june and will be hunting with spear safaris.my wife will be an observer on this trip and ill be hunting hippo.was planning on using my scope sighted encore in 9.3x74r,with woodleigh solids.when buying our tickets my agent tells me that the south african express airlines that has transported our handguns from joberg to huidspuit before will no longer allow handguns on their airlines.that was a kick,you know where.as luck would have it,i do own a sabatti double that i was hopping to take something large and dangerous with some day,not just yet.at 75 this will probably be our last hunt to africa any way,so looks like fate has stepped in and is going to make me use my double,it is also in 9.3x74r.had to put a srs1 red dot to shoot it as the eyes arent as good as they used to be.made by trijicon.been practicing a lot so it should do good.

001 (3).JPG

this target is 50 yards with hornady regulated ammo and hand loaded woodleigh solids.the top shots are the right barrel and the lower shots are the left barrel.shots closest to the bull are the regulated ammo and farthest away the woodlieghs.as you can see all shots are well within kill zone of dangerous game at 50 yards.i would rather be closer on elephant for a head shot but think 50 yards would be ok on a heart shot.at 75 my eye sight with open sights isnt as good as it should be so i installed a trijicon srs1 red dot.only covers 1 3/4 inch at 100 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!