traveling with bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by teenhunter, Nov 10, 2012.

1. teenhunter

teenhunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    diana
    Hunted:
    namibia,southafrica,zimbabwe,sweden,france,mauritus,switzerland
    next summer i will be going in SA.i will stay with a PH(a friend) to help him as "aprentice PH" for 2 month. i'm allowed to hunt to hunt something with my bow,so i will take my bow with me. is there something to know if i travel with my bow???(i will be 15 years old)
    the flight is from zurich to johanesburg:confused::cool:

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    You have successfully avoided Amsterdam in your trip planning. The first step to keeping your broad heads.
    No permits are required at this point in time to enter RSA with a bow.
    Sturdy locked case. Secure your arrows well.
    One broad head slips during baggage handling and your string might take the brunt.
    Take lots of arrows. Just in case you get some time to hunt during your "apprentice" period.

Find a bow shop in some proximity to your destination.
    When you forget something you might be able to find a replacement or substitute.

Happy hunting.

3. NDwildlifebio

NDwildlifebio AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Boone and Crockett Club, Pope and Young Club, NRA, Mule Deer Foundation, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation, Foundation for North American Wild Sheep
    Hunted:
    United States, Canada, South Africa
    It is useful to put your broadheads in your bow case in a separate container - like a small plastic container - that way they can't cut anything. And be double sure they mark your bow case AS a bow and arrows, NOT firearms! Some airline employees don't understand that there's a huge difference that can delay you picking up your bow case upon arrival at your destination!

4. Ole Bally

Ole Bally AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    Teen! Congrats on doing an African trip on yr own!
    While you're still at home, do 'shoot in' another bow string and cable set to bring along!
    You don't have to bring a big bow case!
    Firstly, take all the tuning measurements of the bow...brace height etc. Disassemble your bow by backing off the limb bolts and taking off the string. Then collapse the bow and use masking tape to tape the limbs and cables etc onto the riser. I'm sure you're smart enough to rebuild it at the other end!!.... if not, yr PH mate can help! Time is on your side! Take a piece of 2 or 3" PVC thin walled pipe long enough to house your arrows (no more'n 2 doz!) and pack them into the tube alternating ends so they're tight in there and tape the ends shut! Put your broad heads into a separate box and tape it shut...no need to bring more than 10 at most! You may want to pack the sight into a box too. Then wrap the whole lot up in yr clothes...they can ironed here!! and pack it all into a convenient sized duffle bag. One with a hard bottom! It'll all be quite safe like that and no issues with borders and customs etc! Put yr bino's in your carry one luggage....baggage handlers love to steal stuff like that!
    Enjoy!

5. teenhunter

teenhunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    diana
    Hunted:
    namibia,southafrica,zimbabwe,sweden,france,mauritus,switzerland
    thanks a lot for info:happy:

6. Stretch

Stretch AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA , Canada, Botswana
    You may want to take (and print) some pics of your bow fully assembled. This way if you do decide to take your bow apart for travel -or- if you have trouble during the hunt, you can then reference the printed pics for repairs. Have fun and good luck.