Traveling with 3 firearms

muleman

Reaction score
Member of
SCI,RMEF,DU
Hi all!
I'm traveling to Namibia in a few weeks - any problems traveling with 3 firearms? my Tuffpack is right at 50lbs with 3 guns.
Scott

Here are some questions that would help answering your question:
• What country(ies) are you transiting through?
• Are you combining a big game hunt with plains game hunt?
• Are you bringing a shotgun?
• What date are you leaving?

Jerome,
Traveling from U.S. - Transitting SA with my bags checked all the way through, a 3 hour layover is all. Hunting varmints to Eland. .223, .308 and .375 is what I'm planning to bring. I didn't want buy another rifle- figured the money would be better spent on Trophy fees!
Scott

Thanks Scott.

Your Namibian outfitter might have told you otherwise, but here is what I know.

Temporary Importation of Firearms into Namibia:
• Smallest caliber allowed 7 mm (.284, really .270). I would not advise bringing your .223 caliber. I see how this could go through the Namibian customs from one customs officials to another, but it only take one who knows better to make a mess out of this...
• No limit to the number of firearms per license holder that may be imported safely stored in one locked case into Namibia for trophy hunting purposes, however if traveling through South Africa a maximum of two firearms are allowed even if you are just in transit. You should read the Africa Hunting article on Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons. Transiting procedures through South Africa, a limit of two firearms per hunter may be imported into South Africa. Even though you are transiting through South Africa with your bags checked all the way, I would not recommend you traveling with 3 rifles through South Africa. When an unscheduled layover, due to a changed or canceled flight occurs some hunters' firearms have been impounded due to a requirement of the South African Customs. Also while traveling through South Africa with firearms, one should always have from their hunting outfitters a "Letter of Invitation" in case they may need it while transiting through South Africa. At the time of declaration of firearm(s) at the SAPS office, you will be required to supply a "Letter of Invitation" from each hunting outfitter(s) you will be hunting with as well. It is a supporting document from the hunting outfitter(s) that you are visiting for the purpose of hunting. If you will be hunting with several hunting outfitters in South Africa or other countries, you will need a "Letter of Invitation" from each one of them. Request from your hunting outfitter(s) a signed "Letter of Invitation" on company letterhead for the Central Firearms Register.

See if your outfitter has a .222, .223 or similar for you to use for the varmint. Keep in mind that that your .308 is perfectly suited for all of the species on your trophy list. The .375 is also perfectly suited on this hunt, but if you bring it, I would say it will be used more than anything as a back up rifle in case something happens to the .308. Perhaps you will want to take your Cape Eland and Zebra with it...

Of course it's your decision, but I would only take one caliber with me to Namibia for several reasons, this of course as long as the hunting outfitter has an appropriate back up rifle for me in case of luggage delay, lost gun case or if mine failed. While hunting plains game, either tracking or pursuing a specific species you never know what you might encounter, big or small, the caliber that you have in hand is the one to use... Same with ammunition, take the one kind that shoots and performs best with the rifle that you are using and stick with that, switching from one type of ammo to another just creates problems and possibly missed opportunities...

No need to buy another rifle, just enjoy Namibia for all that the country has to offer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross