www.travelexpressagency.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Hunters planning to fly on Ethiopian Airlines through Johannesburg, South Africa, need to change their travel plans immediately. The Hunting Report just learned that, effective immediately, Ethiopian Airlines will not be transporting sporting firearms on flights in or out of Johannesburg.

The reason? They do not have in place the security measures required by South African Police under the country's firearms regulations. Furthermore, Ethiopian Airlines does not plan on implementing those requirements in the future. Airline officials say they do not transport a sufficient volume of sporting weapons to justify the cost of compliance.
We learned of this development from John J. Jackson, III, of Conservation Force, who also heads the Transit Task Force for the World Forum on The Future of Shooting Sport Activities. The Transit Task Force is working to make travel with sporting firearms easier for sportsmen. Issues like the unplanned effects of South Africa's regulations are among the challenges that the Task Force is hoping to address. Hunting Report Editor Barbara Crown serves on the Task Force with others involved in the shooting sports from all around the world.

Hi Lori you should update this information because it's 5 years old !! This is the fact because we have clients traveling with EA next week: The Management at Ethiopian Airlines have now agreed to transport sporting weapons subject to them being advised when making your reservation of the carriage of the sporting weapons. A maximum of two rifles is allowed in one hard case only. Ammunition is in a locked box and checked in separately to the firearm. All charges the handling of the firearms by a security company is for local billed back to the passenger on arrival and again on departures . mated charges is $40 dollars per case either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you just did update this Gordon.
Thanks.

Hi Gordon-Kruger, thanks for the update - EA is not an airline that I normally use. I looked on their website and it does say they transport firearms as long as they are declared, properly packed, etc. It does not go into any specifics on fees for certain destinations, etc. Thanks!

Hi Gordon-Kruger, thanks for the update - EA is not an airline that I normally use. I looked on their website and it does say they transport firearms as long as they are declared, properly packed, etc. It does not go into any specifics on fees for certain destinations, etc. Thanks!

used EA recently, they partner with United. Used frequent flyer miles, no problem. They also use the 787 Dreamliner

Last time I flew Ethiopian Airlines was on a Boeing 707 in 1964. Lived there two years and was one of the highlights of my life. Hated to come back.

We booked our recent Namibia trip through Lori and it went off without a hitch..Great price and smooth flying.

Yes Heim. Africa is Africa.... and it's hard to beat a more unique lifestyle, and I guess that back in -64 Ethiopia was offer some good hunting...

OK back to the subject, I was trying to help out this guys because Ethiopian Airways call center was not able get the rifle transport confirmed, and hours of waiting in the phone-line and after that they say : we are too busy to take you call right now, call back later !!

So I call to AVIAREPS Airline Management Service Ges.m.b.H. in Austria, and speak to Mr. Mor, very professional and after 15 minutes he send back a mail with information that Ethiopian Airlines was confirm and accept the transport of the rifles.

IMPORTANT USE THE WORD : SPORTING FIREARM.

Cheers, G

Ack was that with Ethiopian Airlines or what ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross