wayne1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Big Game Rifle Club Brisbane Queensland Australia
Hunted
Australia
I'm planning to fly Qantas to Perth. The South African Airways from
Perth to Jo'berg, then from Jo'berg by Comair to Port Elizabeth.
Just wondering if there is a driect flight to Port Elizabeth from
Brisbane? Any Aussies out there who might be able to advise
me of alternatives?
Have any of you had trouble with luggage missing or left behind
when changing airlines as often in this trip?
If so, can you advise how to minimise such an incident from taking
place?
I thought of putting stickers on my luggage saying "Transplant
organs", or "Medical Instruments." Or "Lunatic Inside; detain or open at your own peril.":eyecrazy:
Can you Guys help?

I always stick with Star alliance airlines and have had no trouble so far (other than an apathetic moron at the ticket counter in Joburg). Quantas and Comair are not members so I am not sure but I beleive you will have to collect your bags and recheck them each time you switch airlines and of course pay any baggage fees to each individual airline. I am sure there are others who would know much better than I what the situation is.

Airport Departures and Arrivals

Have a look at what flies in to PE.
Joburg is the central hub for southern Africa.
I don't think PE is an international aitport.

Wayne1, my advice is try and stick to the same airline, have you conisdered flying to Jo'burg out of Sydney? Qantas fly direct from Sydney to Jo'burg (assuming that they still do) and it is a code share with SAA.
Also I would seriously consider changing the internal flight from Jo'burg to PE to SAA as well that way if you fly via Qantas using the code share you are effectively flying one airline which can make things much easier. While I think of it make sure if you do this you make it a single booking that way if there are delays and you miss connections its the airlines problem and not yours to sort.

Have fun!

Thanks Diamondhitch.

Thanks Diamondhitch.

brunie got the plan you need wayne
as for not losing your luggage you can get it all wrapped in clear shrink in the departure s for about 15 bucks
just make sure youve got wheels on the big stuff ,you shoulkd be right
when filling in your declsre sheet make sure you know the numbers on your travellers cheque s
this nearly made us miss our flight in sydney and when we got to jbourg, bugger me they had taken my lugaga of in sydney and i had to stalk the first three days in demmin and ph castoffs

I think you're BRICKBURN about PE not being International. All flights seem to go to Jo'berg. But I will continue to look. Thanks Mate.

Thanks Brunie. Good point about the one ticket. Thanks Mate.

Some of these airlines couldn't organise a watch in a one man life raft. I didn't quite understand the traveller's cheque bit mate. Could you eloborate. Remember I'm a tourist virgin!!

Hey Brunie, checked out qantas. You're dead right mate, there is a direct flight from Sydney to Jo'berg. It'll cut about 9 hrs off the trip and it's cheaper as well. Many Thanks Mate.

PE is not International, you'll have to clear customs in Johannesburg and then check your rifles in for the domestic flight to PE, stick to SAA for this flight (least hassles). I have always tried to fly with saa where ever I can, good service comes first in my book but then I have only heard good things about Quantas. When checking your rifle for your domestic flight, remember there are no charges!!!! Have you looked into using one of the meet and greet companies in JHB? I personally think they are well worth the dollars spent in ensuring you get through nice and smoothly and they can guide you to the domestic terminal inside the JHB airport if you ask them too. No pesky porters bothering you!

enjoy the Eastern Cape, boet (ECs version of mate)

brunie got the plan you need wayne

X2

I would suggest looking into a travel agent as well. It costs nothing to get quotes and they are the experts on airlines/travel, just be mindful of your guns if using one that does not specialize in hunting travel.

Thanks Patrick, I'll do that. Wayne

Hey Diamondhitch. The travel agents over did give us a quote, but they add 25% on the ticket. They had us flying from Brisbane to PE; there were 4 flight changes and a total of 13hours of layover. The total duration of the journey was over 26 hours.
I then checked out Qantas flights and there was only one change of aircraft and that was at JB and the duration of the journey to PE was just a tad over 17hours and it was $450 cheaper.
The upshot of this experience thats standing out is: Do your research and plan well ahead. Would you agree Mate?
Very much appreciate all the help fellas.

Try Lori at Travel Express on this forum If anyone can do it she can

IF YOU GO ONCE-YOU WILL GO AGAIN-DEAL WITH IT

Hey Diamondhitch. The travel agents over did give us a quote, but they add 25% on the ticket. They had us flying from Brisbane to PE; there were 4 flight changes and a total of 13hours of layover. The total duration of the journey was over 26 hours.
I then checked out Qantas flights and there was only one change of aircraft and that was at JB and the duration of the journey to PE was just a tad over 17hours and it was $450 cheaper.
The upshot of this experience thats standing out is: Do your research and plan well ahead. Would you agree Mate?
Very much appreciate all the help fellas.

Cant disagree with that. I am prone to overplan and over research but that is part of the fun.

I am amazed your travel agents over there charge so much. Like Cliffy said maybe try Lori at Travel Express. I have used Marion at Protea Travel 2x and she is right on the ball plus she came in quite a bit cheaper than Lori for me (a Canadian). Flights and departure times have a way of changing over and over in a years time, it is nice to know someone is tracking and adjusting as neccesary. She knows the airlines well and my layovers have been short, usually around 2hrs which is just about right. Although she operates out of the US she is South African born and may have dealt with the Aussie airlines. Cant hurt to drop both of them an email.

www.proteatravel.com

Thanks Cliffy. I'll drop her an email. I love the bold statement underneath.

I shall definitely drop her a line Mate. Thank You

Not a problem; I'll keep you posted Diamondhitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg