Kidder

Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks unlimited, Rocky Mountain elk foundation
Hunted
RSA
Hi All! Mentally planning (or dreaming - not sure which) my next trip to Africa. My sister lives in Monrovia and I'd like to plan a stop over there either on the way to or way back from either SA or (preferably) Namibia. Be flying out of the Pacific Northwest (USA). Plan is to go on a plains game safari in SA or Namibia followed by a few days deep sea fishing with the brother in law in Monrovia (who charters). I've found very few airline options flying into Monrovia right now, given the relatively recent ebola crisis. None of these options I've been able to find are easy and certainly aren't cheap. None of the usual booking sites (Kayak, travelocity, etc.) even list Monrovia as a destination. Does anyone have any suggestions on airlines/routes that aren't going to be ridiculously out of the way or ridiculously expensive? Thanks in advance.

Kidder,

I'm from the US but currently living and working in Lagos, Nigeria. You might look at South African flights from Joburg to either Lagos or Accra, Ghana. From either of these locations, Arik still has flights to Monrovia. If you end doing the Monrovia part of the trip first, then go to SA second, you can fly non-stop to Lagos from Houston on United (787 Dreamliner) or non-stop from Atlanta on Delta (767).

Earlier this year, we met some friends from Houston in SA. They flew Qatar Airways thru Doha. Business class tickets were half the cost of Delta. They had a long layover in Doha, so they got a day room at a hotel. So you might check into Qatar, Etihad and Emirates.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your input and suggestions. It's funny that I can find a number of airlines that can get me from the states to Monrovia and plenty more that can get me into Windhoek/Jo'berg/Cape town, but none of these airlines can get me between Monrovia and Windhoek/Jo'berg/Capetown.

Either way, it appears your suggestion on flying through Accra probably makes the most sense. Sucks to have multiple reservations, but sometimes that is the only way to do it.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know the regs on bringing firearms into Liberia? Thanks,

Kidder

On your flights and I know that everyone likes to do it themselves but have you talked to Lori at Travel Express? She is a sponsor on the forums here and I am sure that she can give you a lot of insight on flights that you might be looking at.

And the small fee that she charges is well worth it if something goes awry in the flights where she can see it and take care of it for you.

Regarding firearm rules for Liberia (and if you travel thru Ghana): I'd suggest just renting a rifle from the PH in SA or Namiba. A lot less hassle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you