Travel Through Dubai

The fastest I get to my destination with the fewest layovers is what I want. I think that reduces the chance that rifle and gear don't make it to the destination with me.

I fail to see how flying from Texas to Dubai to get to Africa is faster or with fewer layovers than using SAA or Delta from the east coast of the USA. I hope you are saving many hundreds or thousands and are bumped to first class.

That's one way to look at it, I don't see it that way.

I'd pay an extra $5000 to fly through Dubai for many reasons.

1. They don't screw around. If you have your permits they don't want your guns. When you leave, they are eager to see your guns leave too.

2. You avoid check through issues in Jo'burg which can go poorly. I lost two days due to Jo'burg gun mishandling at a blended daily cost of $2700....it cost me two days and over $5400 in lost hunting time to connect in Jo'burg and let them touch/lose my guns. Emirates direct to destination avoids that issue.

3. No overnight at Afton house with Dubai usually

4. Less US transfers. Odds are higher an American worker will intentionally lose your guns to make a political statement. I'll put my faith in Emirates instead.

5. Best airline in the world. Why fly second best for more?

6. Total transit time is the same

7. Layovers in Dubai are holidays in their own right, even if for a few hours

8. Guns usually checked through end to end

Are you guys saying you need permits from the Dubai government? Just to make a connecting flight, with your luggage checked through? How many permits?

I thought you only need a permit from Emirates Air when you fly with them.

The fastest I get to my destination with the fewest layovers is what I want. I think that reduces the chance that rifle and gear don't make it to the destination with me.

I fail to see how flying from Texas to Dubai to get to Africa is faster or with fewer layovers than using SAA or Delta from the east coast of the USA. I hope you are saving many hundreds or thousands and are bumped to first class.

Had some Houston based friends meet us last August in Joburg, then continue on to Vic Falls and Chobe. Their son works for Delta and with the family discount, B-class was $8k per person. They ended up taking Qatar Airways to Doha then Joburg. Price for b-class was $4k per person. A bit longer flights, but what they saved in airfare paid for most of the other costs of the trip.

Are you guys saying you need permits from the Dubai government? Just to make a connecting flight, with your luggage checked through? How many permits?

I thought you only need a permit from Emirates Air when you fly with them.

Emirates Airline is processing the Permit required for you when you complete the form on their website.

http://www.emirates.com/english/hel...firearms-weapons-and-ammunition-in-my-baggage

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/firearms/declaration-form.aspx

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was reminding you that they don't screw around. If you decided to lets say take one tablet of tylenol 3 with Codeine in your safari gear that you had left over from some dental work...just in case you legit needed a mild pain killer on safari along with surgical kit, antibiotics, etc. If you didn't have the script with it...10 years in prison. They view firearms permits the same way should you not have one or have overlooked a requirement for your 4 hour layover in UAE. Clerical errors are prison sentences.

Watch your garden variety Hallmark channel movie of the week about some American that does something marginal in the middle east and then is begging the state department to bail them out of a prison cell which usually happens 6-12 months later.

Not trying to be alarmist, just suggesting you know exactly what is expected of you if you're going to stopover in UAE or anywhere else in the muslim world. Great place for people that know and obey the law at all times. (I'd say 99.99% of Americans DO NOT obey the law at all times so behavior must change when transiting that area of the world)
Agree. Not only don't do anything stupid, don't even kid with someone you do not know personally. Your idea of funny and theirs is probably not the same!

You are welcome.
That's what this forum is for.
Sharing information and experiences and allowing people to make informed decisions to attempt to ensure that their adventure is a success.

Pay attention to the warnings you have been offered here.

Typical week in Dubai:

Everyone that keeps their mouth shut has a great time, including safari hunters passing through to their final destinations.

Then you have Americans that just can't keep their ideas to themselves. They go to jail for months awaiting trial and deportation like this dumb woman, age 25.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/us-woman-faces-insult-charge-in-united-arab-emirates/

If you don't have self control at all times and the ability to remain silent when you see something frustrating...don't fly through Dubai. :)

I just went through this dilemma, my TA sent me the forms for traveling through Dubai. Last time I flew to the Middle East I did not need a firearms permit, it was required that I had one. I decided to fly through germany, take my son on a little train trip during the layover and get to J'berg in plenty of time for the plane to PE.
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!