wilydawg

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA (Utah, Wyoming, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, California, South Dakota); Canada (Alberta, Manitoba); Africa (Namibia)
Do you recommend and use travel insurance for hunting trips to Africa?

No, I have not used travel insurance. I would probably get Medjet or Global Rescue insurance if I was hunting in the Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, the Caprivi Strip of Namibia, Tanzania or any other off the road place....just because I have a wife and kids that need me to come home. I have not bought any for Namibia or RSA....felt safe. But as a friend told accidents happen any time....any place!

There are several different types of insurance that fall under travel insurance.

Medical Evacuation: I always carry it. Med Jet or Global Assist or both reputable and will pick you up from anywhere. If you are in Zimbabwe MARS will get you out of the bush.

Trip cancellation insurance from Travel Guard:

This is the coverage I had last time. It cost less than three hundred dollars (total for my wife and me) and included medical evacuation. It would only paid a total of $5000.00 for trip cancellation for airline fees and day rates with my outfitter but I was happy with that.

Standard PackagesACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES $25000.00 Per Insured
ACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISMEMBERMENT $10000.00 Per Insured
BUSINESS ASSISTANCE SERVICES Included Per Insured
CANCEL FOR BUSINESS REASONS Included Per Insured
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION $500000.00 Per Insured
IDENTITY THEFT ASSISTANCE SERVICES Included Per Insured
LICENSE REFUND Included Per Insured
LIVETRAVEL ASSISTANCE Included Per Insured
MISSED CONNECTION $250.00 Per Insured
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $50.00 Per Insured
SPORTSMAN'S EQUIPMEMT DELAY $1500.00 Per Insured
SPORTSMAN'S EQUIPMENT $2500.00 Per Insured
SPORTSMAN'S HOTLINE Included Per Insured
TRAVEL GUARD ASSIST Included Per Insured
TRIP CANCELLATION 100% Trip Cost Per Insured
TRIP DELAY $1500.00 Per Insured $150.00 Payout Limit Per Day
TRIP INTERRUPTION 150% Trip Cost Per Insured
TRIP INTERRUPTION - RETURN AIR $750.00 Per Insured

I also use Core-Vens to insure my firearms year round. Their travel coverage is very good.

It s always a good idea !

Just in case...

I had the same question, since 3 of us are going on our first safari to RSA, first time hunting out of USA.
Is Travel Guard the best company to go with? I also got a quote from TravelX, any other suggestions?
Thanks for helping a rookie!

If you have a VISA Gold Card (and they are ridiculously easy to come by even if you are not rich), a lot of travel insurance is covered IF you pay with it for your travels. Check your VISA regulations. We have them solely for this reason, and they have paid off handsomely once or twice.

Depends who you are and what your life is about, like anything else.
Estimate your own risk tolerance. (If you are having a tough time doing this exercise, ask your wife for some help.)
Medjet will fly your butt back home for care and also help evacuate your in Southern Africa.

i always buy travel insurance. it cost me a little over 200 last trip. a very small price to pay for piece of mind. you would be crazy not to.

wilydawg & fearnot4me ~ I highly recommend the trip insurance, I offer Travel Guard and sell a ton of their Sportsman's policy for good peace of mind protection for trip cancellation, baggage delay, medical expense and medical evacuation coverage. I also offer Global Rescue if you are strictly concerned about medical evacuation especially in remote areas.

If you are looking at trip cancellation policies I would recommend buying them now and not waiting until just before departure in case anything crops up with you or a family member or travelling partner or natural disaster - hurricanes, etc.

Insurance policies can be pretty confusing so let me know if you'd like a quote.

IMO travel insurance is a small price to pay for the what if's. Don't forget the SCI Firearm insurance; inexpensive and really puts one's mind at ease. Listen to Lori, I am sure she can tell you horror stories of trips that didn't go as planned.

While I agree its relatively inexpensive to purchase, chances are real good you wont need it or use it. Last trip I planned to buy MedJet evacuation insurance, then found out it wasnt available in my state, Washington. I found another similar med flight package for a bit less and bought that. Insurance is like a personal defense weapon. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

listen to lori, she took care of all my travel needs including insurance.

Trips like this, as most of us know cost a lot of money. The insurance is a small price to pay. 99% of the time you will not need the insurance. But that 1% will cost you a lot more if you don't have the insurance. I say use it. As others have stated contact Lori. My dad and I used her on our trip. Everyhing went great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross