Toyota 70 series

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Red Leg, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada
    Everywhere I go in the world I ride in and hear the praises for the F70 series Toyota Land Cruiser - that is except in the US. Does anyone know if it is possible to get one here?
  2. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    I have asked a few PH's about this and they all say no way, wont happen. Its their opinion that our Big 3 automakers put the clamps on Congress and said they dont want the competition. Dont know for sure if thats true, there may be more to it than that, but it would not surprise me overly much if it was true.
  3. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada
    Maybe, but I can't imagine what Detroit product it would compete against. The closest similar utility vehicle would be the jeep four-door but it is really a different size class. And no one has a problem allowing them to compete the high-end Land Cruiser against the Escalade, Expedition, etc. I would buy one in a second.
  4. bellero

bellero AH Veteran

Member of:
    CSSA, NFA
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB,SK,MB,ON,QC), USA, Afghanistan
    They were available in Canada under the name Landcruiser BJ 70 in the 80's and early 90's and they came with a left hand side steering wheel. Quite rare to find in good condition nowadays but they're still out there.
  5. bellero

bellero AH Veteran

Member of:
    CSSA, NFA
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB,SK,MB,ON,QC), USA, Afghanistan
  6. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    hey fellas what the fuel consumption on these beefy rear end big ass utes you guys love so much ?
  7. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I had a Toyota Tacoma similar to the one in the other thread. Great truck until you put a load on the bumper. The 6 cylinder gas motor just couldn't handle it going up a steep hill. I now have Toyota Tundra, 1/2 ton truck. It has no problem towing.

To answer your question, it's fuel mileage is only slightly less than the Tacoma when in town, to the point of unnoticeable. When towing all the crap I take to elk camp, the Tundar is MUCH better and it doesn't take an extra hour to get to camp.

You have to remember out west we may be towing horses, 4 wheelers, or a camper up steep terrain. A gasoline 6 cylinder just doesn't cut it.
  8. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    yea thats the hilux weak piont to phill it gets around 10.1 kms to the litre until you use the tow bar then its back to 7.5 kms to the litre
    but its only a 4 cyl diesel 3 litre turbo its to low geared and has to use revs in low gears . but it goes anywhere .
    l had a little mazda bravo 2.7 litre petrol .that thing was awesome that used to get me where no one would go .
    but bloody hopeless at towing . worst thing l ever did was give it the kids as a paddock bomb .
    the old land cruiser is a bit of an icon down here but ,if l was going to up grade the lux l would get a Nissan patrol .
  9. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Very few places my full size Tundra can't go that a Tacoma could. The 6 cylinder in the Tacoma was fine for towing on relatively flat ground. It's about 3 hours to elk camp from home. We gain something on the order of 6000 feet of elevation, around 2500 or so the last 30 miles. That last 30 miles you could watch the fuel needle falling.

The 6 cylinder had the same problem, you had to downshift so much to get enough torque to pull the hill at a reasonable speed. In town, it only got 1-2 miles per gallon better. In the end the only advantage then was it is a much less expensive truck.

But for my family the Tundra is also our family vehicle. Monday thru Friday my wife drives it, about 1.5 miles to her work. I drive the Camry, now with 113,000 miles on it to my job which is 22 miles away.