Toto's "Africa"

gi jane

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Cheesy video, I'm sure there is a deeper meaning. However, this song gives me goosebumps and I cry a bit every time. Not ashamed to admit it. Tell me you guys and gals don't love this song and sing it out loud when your'e driving in your car..?. XOXO

Last edited:
I was listening to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in 1982.... :A Rock::A Rock::A Rock:

I still listen to both of those bands come to think of it. :E Big Grin:

Great song always liked it

I was listening to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in 1982.... :A Rock::A Rock::A Rock:

Your a young whipper snapper.

images

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
Your a young whipper snapper.

images

I sure felt old last year when I went to a concert and they used the lights on their phones, instead of lighters.... kind of sad. :(

Went to see RUSH back in 2012....my wife was kind enough to buy me tickets. We were sitting in the car getting ready to go in and I kept seeing all these folks with grey hair walking by our car. I said "What are all these old people doing at a RUSH concert?", to which my wife started laughing hysterically........it was then that I looked in the mirror and saw the grey in my own beard.....
"Oh" was all I could say...................................:cautious:

I still don't think it was very nice of her to laugh at me.......................:(

"I .....wanna rock 'n roll all night...........but my prostate hurts!" do...do do...........do do do!o_O

Cheesy video, I'm sure there is a deeper meaning. However, this song gives me goosebumps and I cry a bit every time. Not ashamed to admit it. Tell me you guys and gals don't love this song and sing it out loud when your'e driving in your car..?. XOXO

From the band's website:

"... a white boy is trying to write a song on Africa, but since he's never been there, he can only tell what he's seen on TV or remembers in the past."

"At the beginning of the '80s I watched a late night documentary on TV about all the terrible death and suffering of the people in Africa. It both moved and appalled me and the pictures just wouldn't leave my head. I tried to imagine how I'd feel about if I was there and what I'd do."

Loved that song, still do, but it didn't make me cry.

@Mr. 16 gauge mentions Rush, now that makes me cry that I didn't see them again when they were here in July.

For @Royal27.....maybe even @spike.t, started playing this for Jacques @Hartzview Hunting Safaris in the truck once. He looked at me like I was from another planet!

I took my daughter to see Rush in Greenville SC a few years ago. Since I am a has been drummer, I still love to see them play. My daughter was like well........ok....I might would like that. On the hour and a half ride home, she was saying wow, you guys used to rock big time. I just smiled and said......yup.

Its a classic!!!

Loved that song, still do, but it didn't make me cry.

@Mr. 16 gauge mentions Rush, now that makes me cry that I didn't see them again when they were here in July.

For @Royal27.....maybe even @spike.t, started playing this for Jacques @Hartzview Hunting Safaris in the truck once. He looked at me like I was from another planet!

Ahh.... The Trooper!!!!

I had this poster over the head of my bed in college. still can't believe I threw it away... :(

Eddie rocked!!!!

iron-maiden-trooper-sticker.jpg

Attachments

• iron-maiden-trooper-sticker.jpg
    iron-maiden-trooper-sticker.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 112

I was listening to George Strait in 1982. Come to thing of it, I still am...........:P Cowboy:

Ah, yes!!!! The Trooper!! A classic from the era!(y)

I was listening to George Strait in 1982. Come to thing of it, I still am...........:P Cowboy:

Sorry to hear that.........but then there's no accounting for taste.:D:p:ROFLMAO:

I took my daughter to see Rush in Greenville SC a few years ago. Since I am a has been drummer, I still love to see them play. My daughter was like well........ok....I might would like that. On the hour and a half ride home, she was saying wow, you guys used to rock big time. I just smiled and said......yup.

That's funny.........my 24 year old daughter did the same exact thing. That means when RUSH comes on the radio, we get to turn the volume up to "11".;):D

It's kind of funny that when you speak of Africa, Toto's Africa is the song that everyone seems to think of........I've seen it used in quite a few promo videos, on youtube, etc. (Kind of a wimpy name for a rock band though, don't you think? Naming your band after Dorothy's dog from the wizard of Oz?). I think a more appropriate song (or at least one I think of when it comes to dreaming of Africa) is RUSH's mystic rhythms.

....and I was singing Fly by Night in my head at least a dozen times in my head on the flight to Jo'berg last summer!!!!:)

Last edited:
A couple of East African artists from the 70's.

Freddy Mercury (Queen) from Stone Town, Zanzabar.

Roger Whitaker from Nairobi, Kenya.

Queen?......O.K

But ROGER WHITTAKER?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek:o_O:confused:

Good lord, what's next..................the carpenters?! Paul Williams?!:whistle:;):D:p

Poor Jane is sitting there thinking. "how did it go from Toto to THIS????" :A Drive:

Queen?......O.K

But ROGER WHITTAKER?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek:o_O:confused:

Good lord, what's next..................the carpenters?! Paul Williams?!:whistle:;):D:p

No, Carpenters and Williams are from the states. I did see Paul Williams perform with the Oklahoma City Philharmonic a few years ago and found it entertaining as I remember.:oops:

I was just going for artists from Africa. Mercury and Whittaker are my list, short as it is. Hoping to hear of others if you can add to it.:)

I have been told I have an eclectic taste in music. Roger Waters is singing The Wall on Spotify as I type this.

Poor Jane is sitting there thinking. "how did it go from Toto to THIS????" :A Drive:

Just trying to help Jane out with other Africa related music.:D

No, Carpenters and Williams are from the states. I did see Paul Williams perform with the Oklahoma City Philharmonic a few years ago and found it entertaining as I remember.:oops:

I was just going for artists from Africa. Mercury and Whittaker are my list, short as it is. Hoping to hear of others if you can add to it.:)

I have been told I have an eclectic taste in music. Roger Waters is singing The Wall on Spotify as I type this.

Just trying to help Jane out with other Africa related music.:D

Well then, my friend, you are in luck...........check out this thread:
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/african-music.22062/

I didn't realize Rodger Whittaker was originally from Kenya!o_O Learn something new everyday................................(y)

Good lord, what's next..................the carpenters?! !:whistle:;):D:p

If Mama Cass had shared that last sandwich with Karen Carpenter, would they both be alive today?:eek::ROFLMAO: Sorry, old joke from decades ago that your comment reminded me of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg