AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Tom Siebel On Being Gored By An Elephant
by Steven Bertoni

Once you get hurt you hear about all the other accidents on safari that nobody talks about.

View the entire story by clicking on the following link: tom-siebel-on-being-gored-by-an-elephant.pdf

watermark.php

Photograph by Gabriella Hasbun. Tom Siebel On Being Gored By An Elephant. Tom Siebel A year and 16 surgeries later, hoping to run and bike again.

View the entire story by clicking on the following link: tom-siebel-on-being-gored-by-an-elephant.pdf

Source: Forbes

Last edited by a moderator:
good read...rough incident...maybe next time he will get a PH to guide him...

That is why I carry a big rifle in dangerous game country!

A terrible accident.

Accident Hell, I figured the ele knew exactly what it was doing.

Only accident I could see was the guide....and that is just my subjective opinion

But the best line in the whole story was Tom's ' "Now might be a good time to reload"

I take my hat off to a man that can manage a sense of humor after being taken apart by an elephant!

The emphasis should be on Guides training. Tanzania doesn't have a comprehensive training program currently...nor does Mozambique.
I believe that 470 loads are that expensive to preclude that guide from firing his double more than 20 times a year! The double looks cool and all, but if you can't shoot it a lot and become very familiar with it, it's not much use! A common (cheap rounds) caliber big bore bolt would be a better option for practical sake.
I couldn't figure whether the guide shot both barrels off or not!
Tom is lucky to survive it.
The thing with 'Pro Guides (photographic)' mindset as opposed to PH's mindsets is that the PH is willing to kill the animal and the guide is willing to give the animal the benefit of the doubt right up to the last second...often to his detriment.
The Zim Pro Guides have to execute a frontal brain shot perfectly at under 20m for their Proficiency exams. Otherwise they fail the exams and have to keep coming back until they can get it right. The exam will cost the candidate around 3200 US$ each time so it's not something he wants to fail!
I still feel for the man though...it's not a pleasant experience any which way!

One lucky man indeed!
Few guys walk away from this type of incidents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg