Tips on how to train a dog for blood tracking

NUys

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hi There

I've got a 10 week old female long leg Foxterrier dog that I want to train as a blood tracking dog for hunting, or to recover a wounded animal. If anyone knows how to do this can you please give me a few tips on how to train the dog, starting from a young age.

Thank you

Hi There

I've got a 10 week old female long leg Foxterrier dog that I want to train as a blood tracking dog for hunting, or to recover a wounded animal. If anyone knows how to do this can you please give me a few tips on how to train the dog, starting from a young age.

Thank you

Neil,

Take it slow step at a time.

She is still young and as a pup it must be a game for her while she is learning.

I am sure there will be guys with lots of tips here.

What I have seen a friend of mine did was the following:

Take the dog with you every time an animal is shot, in the beginning put the dog down a couple of meters from the animal. Once she starts smelling the animal give her a lot of praise. Keep this up for a couple of weeks.

Then once she gets more confident put her back away from the animal on the blood trail and walk with her until she find the animal. Again give her a lot of praise and reward her with a small piece of meat from the animal.

She will start to understand that she will get a reward for finding the animal. Keep this up and as she progress take her further away from the animal. Always check the wind as well and work into the wind with her.

Take it one step at a time and like "Vellies" at the age of 3 years she will be a hard working member of your team.

Vellies has saved the day this season all ready. Some times at 02:00 in the morning when he find the Kudu bull and bring him to quarter and allowing enough time for the hunter to kill the wounded animal.

Hope this helps.

Would love to hear what tips the other guys here has...

Gerhard is spot on, contact me and I will try to fill in any questions that you may have. Congratulations, you've chosen a great area to expand your hunting skills into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!