Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
This article came across my FB feed today and I found it interesting and potentially for good discussion. I'm sure there are those who will take issue with it, but nonetheless it is thought provoking and feel it's worth reading.

Times are changing folks and I'm not sure what the answer is, or far more likely what the answers are to the issues facing African hunting. But I do feel something has to give, that we cannot continue on as we are today.

full

URGENT – THE FUTURE OF HUNTING IN SOUTHERN AFRICA

This PERHAPS could be the most important post you will ever read on the future of our hunting industry and if you are passionate about our industry, then you will read it, read it again, think it through thoroughly and hopefully understand that this is written not to criticise, but to help rebuild a fast crumbling industry.

Controversy surrounding hunting is growing rapidly and one often asks the question where is this going to stop and what is fuelling all this controversy?

THE ANSWER IS QUITE SIMPLE – ITS CALLED IGNORANCE AND GREED

The problems with hunting and the controversy we are facing in the hunting industry starts and ends with us…

We are quick to cry wolf and complain that the greenies are vindictive against us and threatening our lively hoods, and once again we try to “fix the blame instead of fixing the problem”.

Who started this?

WE AS OUTFITTERS AND PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS CAUSED THIS AND NOBODY ELSE IS TO BLAME, BUT OURSELVES.

Where did it start and how did it escalate so quickly?

FACEBOOK, SOCIAL MEDIA and an ONLINE GLOBAL COMMUNITY

With the start of facebook and social media the fight against hunting grew rapidly and continues to grow at an alarming rate AND ONLY WE ARE to blame – nobody else.

You see, we are well trained in hunting, skilful shots, trained in outfitting and bush-skills.

However, we are not trained:

• in business skills
• in marketing and global markets
• in the power of social media
• in global networking
• in responsible corporate governance
• AND NO TRAINING in the right use of language and debating or negotiation skills.

Hence, when it comes to all of the above, its simply shotgun marketing hoping to hit a bulls eye and getting a client. We continue to do the same old same old and then wonder why we are in “sh*t” now?

We leave our younger generations (PH’s) to post what they want, where they want and when they want. Even some of us as older generation are guilty of this too.

So when we post and brag with our friends on social media about the bloodiest of hunts, or how many animals we shot, we don’t realise the extent of reach of our posts and the damage they cause!!

These horrific pictures (and stories) often go viral and many times our people make themselves guilty of even placing comments with these pictures which are not well thought out, not conducive to an ethical hunting industry and most of the times lacks any diplomacy to say the very least.

A number of our hunting fraternity are also guilty of unethical hunting practices, however don’t have any fear to ignorantly post their achievements online and on social media.

(I am especially referring to those people who brag how many lions they shot in one week or even on one day?! And then we wonder why the “sh*t is hitting the fan”?)

ONLY WE ARE TO BLAME – WE ARE OUR VERY OWN WORST ENEMY!!

However I am sorry to say this, our leadership in the Industry is also to blame for a very simple reason, a lack of vision and planning.

We have not planned and prepared our industry for the ONLINE world and just how powerful this will impact our very future and now it may be too late UNLESS WE ACT AS ONE AND DO IT NOW – RIGHT NOW!!

Over and above this, our hunting industry is a lucrative industry with Millions of Dollars and Euro’s flowing through the industry, however as a career choice, its perhaps the easiest career to qualify for?

• 10 x days PH course
• a little bit of practical experience
• money from Dad to buy your Cruizer
• a 375 H&H and a Jack Russel and there you go?

No education in:

• financial management,
• international marketing,
• corporate governance,
• the use of online social media or any relevant training which will guarantee a sustainable business or career future for all – nothing!!

So when our passionate kids head off into the bush, loaded with ammo and a fresh client on the back of the cruizer, we remain oblivious to the slumbering threat this holds to our industry at large?!

They mostly excel in their skills as competent bush kids and hunters (whom we are proud of), however when back in camp with access to WIFI and their trusty smart phones, the damage gets caused on a scale we even can’t start to comprehend.

SOCIAL MEDIA IS OUR BEST POTENTIAL MARKETING RESOURCE HOWEVER THE VERY BULLET KILLING OUR INDUSTRY RIGHT NOW.

And only we are to blame as we have absolutely no control of what’s going viral next.

• We have not been trained in social media and the power it has for and against us.

• We have not been trained in what is considered right and whats wrong, or let me say, not trained well enough.

• And we most definitely have not trained our kids and young PH’s the art of skilful and well thought out dialogue on social media platforms.

We need to act fast and stop this rampage against us and the FIRST WAY of doing this, is to stop ourselves from killing and self destructing our own industry.

So when they are attacked online by the anti-hunting extremists, the average answer or response provided by our sun burnt bush-devils are “AGG F**K OFF”.

So here the online climate worsens dramatically as now we aren’t even facing the facts about our industry, but suddenly our very culture comes into play and most of time TO THE DETRIMENT of our industry and Country at large, as we have not prepared our youngsters for this online warfare.

In fact we have not even ensured that they have a proper command of the English language, never mind the skills of writing, spelling and proper grammar use.

WHY IS THE SH*T HITTING THE FAN?

Because “those who fail to plan – plan to fail”.

Our industry has not prepared our youth and ourselves for that matter, to be prepared for the “power of social media and online marketing”.

We leave our youngsters FREE to explore, experiment and post what they want to, to who they want to and when they want to.

So when damage control has to be implemented, the damage has already been done and now we are facing a massive onslaught like never experienced before. We didn’t experience this in the old days, so where did it all go wrong?

AN ONLINE WORLD HAS EVOLVED – THATS WHERE.

We didn’t have these online tools in the old days and had to send letters by mail. Letters only our owners or fathers wrote to clients.

Now, every single person in our businesses has access to the world out there and even our trackers are on facebook.

To fuel the fire, our youngsters (just like their fathers) get the moer-in very quickly and with the world at our finger tips and just one post and photo away, this calls for a disaster in the making!!

STOP AND THINK VERY HARD – STOP NOW PLEASE!!!

This is perhaps the single biggest challenge we will ever face, as “thinking” isn’t very high on our daily agenda’s as we condition and teach our children to get off their butts and do things instead of thinking things through before we do.

If we don’t call STOP as an industry and think this through thoroughly, I am sorry to say this, but our beloved industry may just as well have seen the last light of day.

We need to act fast and stop this rampage against us and the FIRST WAY of doing this, is to stop ourselves from killing and self destructing our own industry.

WITHOUT ANY FUEL – NO FIRE CAN BURN!!!

We need to stop fuelling the fire right now, today – not tomorrow and we need to do this unanimously as one team.

We need to STOP:

• stop posting dead animals online right now even on our websites
• stop getting into online fights or loosing our tempers
• stop boasting or bragging about todays kills
• stop posting about that wonderful shot or massive crocodile just killed

STOP NOW AND WE MAY SAVE OUR INDUSTRY IF IT’s NOT TOO LATE

If your future is important to you, think this through thoroughly before you react and tell me to go ….

THINK PEOPLE THINK

If we stop fuelling this out of control fire right now – today – we can make a MASSIVE difference and even possibly save our industry.

There are no laws against what we have been doing for generations, so we cant force you to stop and support this campaign. We can only appeal to your logic and hopefully you are passionate about our industry and will do anything to help us save it.

IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE WE ARE IN TROUBLE – WE ARE DEAD IN ANY CASE, SO PLEASE THINK THIS THROUGH.

If we (and that includes us as Hunting Legends Africa) immediately STOP posting dead animals and You Tube Clips online, we can just maybe, save our very asses.

Remove all the video clips, dead animal photos from every platform we are on and stop the fight right now.

NOW I REALISE YOU MAY THINK AND BELIEVE THAT I HAVE LOST MY MARBLES … and I know you desperately want to tell me to go to hell, however I am begging you to think about what I am telling you today, please!!

We have less than 100 million hunters in the world, HOWEVER there are billions of other people, mostly against hunting and we will never ever convert them or make them feel better about our industry or us.

We can’t win this fight – its impossible!!

HOWEVER WE CAN AVOID THIS FIGHT

And the best way of winning the fight is avoiding it altogether!!

Stop fuelling the world with photos and clips of dead animals and the world will have nothing to react on or to attack?!!

Stop now please!!

DOES THAT MEAN THAT ALL OUR ONLINE MARKETING IS THUS DOOMED?

No to the contrary!!

This is the start of Our NEW marketing campaigns which will not only save our industry, but also benefit us for generations to come!!!

SELL THE SIZZLE NOT THE STEAK!!

We have made the worst mistake imaginable by focussing on the steak instead of the sizzle.

We were taught that it is all about the steak (a huge dead trophy animal) instead of being taught that its all about the sizzle (customer satisfaction).

We are not under global attack due to our customer satisfaction, we are under attack because we advertise our steaks (dead animals).

THE FUTURE OF HUNTING IN SOUTHERN AFRICA
The irony is that this is what’s killing us!!

STOP AND THINK

So lets stop advertising our steaks and start advertising our sizzle (customer satisfaction) instead, but do it now!

ACTION PLAN TO STOP:

• stop advertising and posting dead animals (steaks).
• take it off everywhere (websites, social media everywhere). It wont all disappear overnight and will take a long time to fade away, however stop putting new fuel on the fire and eliminate the past now.
• stop answering people online who fight and swear at us. Ignore them because you can’t beat then.
• stop bragging and boasting about killing animals (the opposition will never ever understand this)

ACTION PLAN TO START:

• start posting photos about happy clients sitting around a camp fire
• your nice facilities and helpful staff
• your impeccable equipment and vehicles
• the beautiful scenery of your hunting area
• the amazing people in your local communities
• the relocation of wildlife to your ranch
• the rehabilitation of your ranch and all the amazing wildlife in abundance on your ranch
• the enthusiastic interview with your clients and the memorable experience they have just had with you (no dead animals)
• the jokes around the fire, the fun you had
• photos of you and your clients donating food (meat) to your local village
• the thrilling story of your adventures and stalking through tall grass, without the final shot (sell the sizzle no the steak)
• shot placement on targets (bow and rifle)
• rifle facts and ballistic experience

WE ARE IN THE TOURISM INDUSTRY NOT THE HUNTING INDUSTRY

• don’t sell hunting trips.
• sell adventure tourism and outdoors.
• your clients will respect you for this as they too are under attack and the few that don’t care, don’t actually matter.
• sell yourself, your people, your Country and your happy clients.

BUT STOP SELLING DEAD ANIMALS

Its a very small sacrifice to pay with a potentially huge benefit for your future.

Its just a simple decision and a lot of discipline and we can make a difference and save ourselves.

POLICE YOURSELF, YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR STAFF

We are all in the same industry and I am sure we all want to see our industry survive and prosper, yet we seldom get to agree and unite in force for a better future:

• We are by nature suspicious.
• we always look for the so called catch.
• we live on farms and often believe that our world starts and ends at the farm gate.
• we distrust easily and don’t like people telling us what to do.

But if we want to save our industry, we need to do so as a team and make sure our friends, staff and even competitors follow suit.

IF WE DON’T DO SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY RIGHT NOW, THE UNEXPECTED WILL COME TRUE AND END OUR INDUSTRY SOONER THAN LATER

• This is not the only solution to solve our crisis, but it is the one single biggest threat we need to eliminate immediately.

• Once we start by fixing this online social media threat, we will be taking the wind out of the opposition in leaps and bounds and when that happens their fuel dries up and even our politicians will have no pressure. (Out of sight, out of mind)

• That however doesn’t guarantee we are home free, to the contrary we still need to clean up our act as an industry, however those who don’t care will be the only ones left with dead animals on facebook and their websites and will thus stand out like a sore thumb.

LETS MAKE A DIFFERENCE – BE DIFFERENT – WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER

If you care about our industry please help this post go viral and reach everybody in the industry.

Thanks,

Phillip Mostert
Group CEO
phillip@gamevest.co.za
Gamevest Group
Hunting Legends Africa

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an interesting article, but the second anyone thinks they can change from a hunting culture to photo tourism only and still make money across the continent is the day I think wildlife conservation will fail.
The anti-hunters that make such a big deal on the internet are not interesting in supporting wildlife, only ending hunting. Their conscious can't handle seeing another dead animal. That is not a hunter problem so much a society problem. We have forgotten where food comes from in general. An parents, teachers, the media and government in general are not teaching the basic items about the cycle of life and death.
I agree with the article though, stop posting pictures on facebook and social media. Why fuel the fire?

Phil,

That article is simply brilliant, thanks for re-posting it.
I would add that us Client / non-PH types also could stand to phase out all this "tape measure competition" type hunting.

Rather instead focus on the grand and honorable ancient tradition of hunting, as a skill and as part of a life well lived.
Gold Medal this and Silver Medal that is a bit annoying to me and hunting is pretty much most of why I went back to work after retiring (unfortunately hunting can get expensive).

Hunting is a major portion of who I am as a person.
And if a serious Hunter finds "trophy record book" activities annoying, I expect the general voting public is pretty annoyed by it as well.
You know ..... people who think meat comes from a grocery store.
I'm not saying we should ever bow to those sad folks and turn in our sporting goods.

I'm just saying that we need to stop making everything into a contest of who can afford to get the biggest horns and start thinking about our PR issues (just as the brilliant article said).

Let the tape measure guys begin my flogging now.

Kind regards,
Velo Dog
(Paul Ard - Anchorage, Alaska).

Last edited:
It's an interesting article, but the second anyone thinks they can change from a hunting culture to photo tourism only and still make money across the continent is the day I think wildlife conservation will fail.
The anti-hunters that make such a big deal on the internet are not interesting in supporting wildlife, only ending hunting. Their conscious can't handle seeing another dead animal. That is not a hunter problem so much a society problem. We have forgotten where food comes from in general. An parents, teachers, the media and government in general are not teaching the basic items about the cycle of life and death.
I agree with the article though, stop posting pictures on facebook and social media. Why fuel the fire?

Agreed, I have never been on Facebook. I do not and have never understood the reasoning for posting your kills or family photo either for that matter on Facebook. If I want you to have a photo of latest hunting success, I will send it to YOU!

Phil,

I would add that us Client / non-PH types also could stand to phase out all this "tape measure competition" type hunting.

Rather instead focus on the grand and honorable ancient tradition of hunting, as a skill and as part of a life well lived.
Gold Medal this and Silver Medal that is a bit annoying to me and hunting is pretty much most of why I went back to work after retiring (unfortunately hunting can get expensive).

And if a serious Hunter finds "trophy record book" activities annoying, I expect the general voting public is pretty annoyed by it as well.
I'm not saying we should ever bow to those sad folks and turn in our sporting goods.

I'm just saying that we need to stop making everything into a contest of who can afford to get the biggest horns and start thinking about our PR issues (just as the brilliant article said).

Kind regards,
Velo Dog

Very well said! Your first plate of rockfish on the future trip is on me!!!

This article came across my FB feed today and I found it interesting and potentially for good discussion. I'm sure there are those who will take issue with it, but nonetheless it is thought provoking and feel it's worth reading.

Times are changing folks and I'm not sure what the answer is, or far more likely what the answers are to the issues facing African hunting. But I do feel something has to give, that we cannot continue on as we are today.

http://wildboere.com/urgent-the-future-of-hunting-in-southern-africa/

A big part of the answer is to get off f...ing Facebook and stay off.

Will I change? One never knows! Thanks for posting.

Some good points.

Great article.....

Phil and I had a similar discussion with a industry personality at DSC. One of the personalities suggestions was to not post animal photos on social media (something I do today, but am re-thinking...). Another was to be willing to hunt regardless of whether a trophy can be brought home, or not. That personal pictures just might have to suffice. I'm there on that one and won't let a lack of putting a mount in my living room stop me from a hunt. One of my pet peeves is that "the antis are winning because of the <insert animal here> import ban." No, they are winning because hunters support the ban by not hunting. It is funny how we love to saber rattle and swear we will never fly Delta again, but then when a real ban occurs we say "F that, not hunting that animal since I can't bring it home..." But I digress...

This is a key part of the article to me.

• in business skills
• in global networking
• AND NO TRAINING in the right use of language and debating or negotiation skills.

The above isn't specific to the hunting industry, but rather to small business in general. More specific training and focus is needed. We're fragmented as hunters, but it seems like the outfitters are fragmented further, IMO. In many small business industries there are co-ops or marketing organizations who pool resources and lobby governments, and market to consumers. Does "Got Milk" sound familiar to anyone here in the States? And by the way, this is done to make money, period. It isn't done in the name of the conservation of the milk cow. If it pays, it stays.

I didn't take this article to mean that the industry needs to transform from hunting to photo tourism. I took the point the same as telling the meat industry they shouldn't advertise the slaughterhouse by showing pictures of it. to me there is a big difference there. People in the first world have lost touch with where there food comes. That's a fact. And one we aren't likely to change. So we need to adjust to that.

This is one of those subjects where I'm smart enough to know what the problem is, but not sure I'm smart enough to know the answer. Whether you agree with the article or not though, we have to change or we will slowly die off. It won't be sudden. Hunting isn't going to be banned world wide in ten years like some seem to think, but die off we will, slowly, unless we adapt. We aren't any different than the animals we love so much. Animals that can't adapt go extinct.

Last edited:
Phil,

Kind regards,
Velo Dog

I could not possibly agree with you more Paul. I personally take no issue with a person setting goals and trying to achieve those goals. I've taken a 50" Kudu, I won't take another unless I think or more importantly my PH thinks it will go at least 54" and even then I'm looking for a particular shape too. But that's my goal, it doesn't need to be anyone else's nor do I want it to be.

My son took an absolute monster of an Nyala last year, I have no intention of having that entered into some record book. He should be happy with that bull without it being something he needs to gloat in front of other hunters about, especially at 13 years of age.

We absolutely ruin hunting for ourselves when it becomes something we do seeking others approvals.

Agreed, I have never been on Facebook. I do not and have never understood the reasoning for posting your kills or family photo either for that matter on Facebook. If I want you to have a photo of latest hunting success, I will send it to YOU!

If in regards to hunting you mean staying off FB then I somewhat agree with you. The article I shared came to me from FB. Recently I've been invited to be a part of some closed groups on FB that are for hunters only. It is through one of those groups that I saw this article.

I think FB as well as any other social media such as this wonderful website is a tool that facilitates communication. Just as a hammer facilitates construction, you must know how to properly use it else you'll end up with mashed fingers. FB can be used by the hunting community too, but it also can and most certainly is being used against us. Can we turn that around and use it to our advantage? I think so, and @Ivan Carter is doing a great job of that.

Great article.....

Phil and I had a similar discussion with a industry personality at DSC. One of the personalities suggestions was to not post animal photos on social media (something I do today, but am re-thinking...). Another was to be willing to hunt regardless of whether a trophy can be brought home, or not. That personal pictures just might have to suffice. I'm there on that one and won't let a lack of putting a mount in my living room stop me from a hunt. One of my pet peeves is that "the antis are winning because of the <insert animal here> import ban. No, they are winning because hunters support the ban by not hunting. It is funny how we love to saber rattle and swear we will never fly Delta again, but then when a real ban occurs we say "F that, not hunting that animal since I can't bring it home..." But I digress...

This is a key part of the article to me.

• in business skills
• in global networking

The above isn't specific to the hunting industry, but rather to small business in general. More specific training and focus is needed. We're fragmented as hunters, but it seems like the outfitters are fragmented further, IMO. In many small business industries there are co-ops or marketing organizations who pool resources and lobby governments, and market to consumers. Does "Got Milk" sound familiar to anyone here in the States? And by the way, this is done to make money, period. It isn't done in the name of the conservation od the milk cow. If it pays, it stays.

I didn't take this article to mean that the industry needs to transform from hunting to photo tourism. I took the point the same as telling the meat industry they shouldn't advertise the slaughterhouse by showing pictures of it. to me there is a big difference there. People have lost touch with where there food comes from in the 1st world. That's a fact. And one we aren't likely to change. so we need to adjust to that.

This is one of those subjects where I'm smart enough to know what the problem is, but not sure I'm smart enough to know the answer. Whether you agree with the article or not though, we have to change or we will slowly die off. It won't be sudden. Hunting isn't going to be banned world wide in ten years like some seem to think, but die off we will, slowly, unless we adapt. We aren't any different than the animals we love so much.
If in regards to hunting you mean staying off FB then I somewhat agree with you. The article I shared came to me from FB. Recently I've been invited to be a part of some closed groups on FB that are for hunters only. It is through one of those groups that I saw this article.

I think FB as well as any other social media such as this wonderful website is a tool that facilitates communication. Just as a hammer facilitates construction, you must know how to properly use it else you'll end up with mashed fingers. FB can be used by the hunting community too, but it also can and most certainly is being used against us. Can we turn that around and use it to our advantage? I think so, and @Ivan Carter is doing a great job of that.

I am not suggesting to not use the internet. I am specifically calling out Facebook in this instance. My understanding is that Ivan Carter is providing an education for anyone that may want to take part. That is something completely different than one of us posting our latest "trophy's" on there for the world to see. I'll continue to watch the latest hunting photos on AH and similar sites. I'll continue to stay off of Facebook, but promise to post on AH if I take a worthy animal!

I am not suggesting to not use the internet. I am specifically calling out Facebook in this instance. My understanding is that Ivan Carter is providing an education for anyone that may want to take part. That is something completely different than one of us posting our latest "trophy's" on there for the world to see. I'll continue to watch the latest hunting photos on AH and similar sites. I'll continue to stay off of Facebook, but promise to post on AH if I take a worthy animal!

The thing is the anti's are as familiar with this website as much as they are FB. You might recall all the hateful posts when Ian Gibson was killed on that elephant hunt. How many lurkers might we have here? I don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect there are a portion of signed up members of this website who are here to monitor for anti-hunting purposes.

You may be absolutely right Phil, but I will maintain my stance on Facebook, and those that choose to use it, carry on!

You may be absolutely right Phil, but I will maintain my stance on Facebook, and those that choose to use it, carry on!

No issue, I hoped this thread would spur good discussion and so far that seems to be the case.

Note the authors interests in the "industry".

Gamevest, one of the top stud game breeders in South Africa, operates from 25 000 hectares of sweet-grass bushveld near Thabazimbi and in the Gravelotte region in the Limpopo province of South Africa.

http://www.gamevest.co.za/wp-conten...riefing-Exotic-Game-Breeding-V6-Cape-Town.pdf
  • • Conservation through high value game breeding - BUZZWORD

• • Impressive horns, fangs, tusks, colour, or body mass - survive longer & breed more prolifically.

• • Nature is also uncompromisingly efficient by eliminating the weakest first, through predation.

• • Human intervention has turned this natural selection certainty on its head through the practice of trophy hunting.

• • Some believe that bans on hunting is a proper solution to conserve, but those take no cognisance of the fact hunting, as a primary source of utilisation, creates value, and value secures protection.

•“Kenia banned hunting in 1978, and has since paid for its folly by losing 85% of its wildlife.”

• • When wildlife is reduced to its value in meat, it will either be eaten, poached, or simply killed into extinction.

• • Dollars earned by governments or tour operators do not reach local communities, and buy animals no protection.

• • South African game ranchers embrace value creation through sustainable utilisation.

• • We are now reaping the rewards in this vibrant and sustainable industry.

• • For tonight, we will focus on the “business” of conservation – the high value game breeding sector.

Attachments

• Executive-Briefing-Exotic-Game-Breeding-V6-Cape-Town.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 840
Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is the anti's are as familiar with this website as much as they are FB. You might recall all the hateful posts when Ian Gibson was killed on that elephant hunt. How many lurkers might we have here? I don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect there are a portion of signed up members of this website who are here to monitor for anti-hunting purposes.

Cecil has changed the hunting world irrevocably, and not for the best.

I administer the SCI Calgary FB page. Immediately after Cecil blew up last July/August, we had about 100 new page likes. The comments that we drew for the next few months were unbelievable. The outrage expressed that we would post an article about lion or elephant hunting was insane. It made for some interesting conversations, that is for sure. I am sure that most of those new likes were antis monitoring SCI Calgary. I am unsure why, if you are so easily incensed by reading about hunting, why go to a hunting website or FB page? It would be like being against the porn in Playboy, but you subscribe just to monitor the content and then get upset because Playboy is still publishing porn. It would seem that I am boring the antis and they are slowly leaving the FB page.

What amazes me are hunters who say they hunt, but they don't support trophy hunting. I call BS on that. I shoot deer each year, just for the meat, but I guarantee you, I will shoot the biggest deer I have a chance at. Am I a meat hunter or a trophy hunter? Depends I suppose. Besides, a trophy means different things to different people. A kids first doe is a trophy to them. A critter taken on a hard hunt is a trophy to me regardless of size.

I have come to the conclusion that I will not publish a kill photo on Facebook, and may not on forums like this. I have tightened the privacy settings on Photobucket. I will advise SCI Calgary to not publish kill photos. It is unfortunate, but change hurts sometimes.

It is hard for outfitters, my friend has had groups of antis go to his Facebook page and give him poor ratings and post rude comments, even though they haven't been within 10000 miles of his operation. How do you promote your hunting operation, if you don't post kill photos? That is a good question. What I have been thinking (for myself also) is post a tasteful, nicely posed photo of the deceased animal by itself, no hunters in the photo. Perhaps this could still promote the outfitter, but be less inflammatory to nonhunters? I have already considered hunting and not bringing trophies back just to save money (I ain't rich), so I can hunt more.

It's certainly a challenging time for hunting. We should be proud, but we do need to change.

One very well thought out, intelligent and straightforward article. We, the hunters, are a small minority and, have to accept the reality that our struggle to maintain our sport demands that we demonstrate respect for those who wish us harm. We have to go the extra mile and commit to making hunting a respectable pass time. Our opponents have many advantages we simply can't overcome, one being numbers or associates; we have to out think them, out class them and, be the bigger person. This is one fight where getting your hands dirty or engaging in arguments will simply work against us.

As the article pointed out, we must make certain that we don't give the anti's ammunition to use against us. Pictures of dead animals creates an emotional response that cannot be rationalized away. The bunny huggers simply shut down to any intelligent discourse when they see bloodied creatures. Their hamburgers come from the grocery store, they refuse to accept the realities of farming and butchering as part of the circle of life. Walt Disney, with Bambi and other movies turned the tide against us creating the distorted image of wildlife as nothing less than a petting zoo.

In order for hunting to survive we need to sell the positive aspects of our sport and proactively demonstrate these in a sanitary version that the anti's can't find fault with. The days of transporting your deer back from camp on the roof of your car are gone. Our actions and statements must be politically correct even when it frustrates us to do so.

Youtube is another media outlet that has to be cleaned up. There are thousands of video clips showing the demise of game animals, these videos only enrage the enemy and push those who are indifferent to hunting into the arms of the anti's.

Our sport is on the endangered list and with each passing year fewer hunters take to the field and less land remains available to our sport. This is a fight we can't win long term but, we can delay the inevitable by encouraging our sons and daughters to appreciate and respect the sport and by doing everything possible to make certain we don't alienate others in our media obsessed world.

I know most people are referring to FB, twitter, etc.
AH is social media!
How would you like a hunting report without pictures?
Pictures are part of the story.
We are a community.

It appears the Author's entire business is based on this concept. Bigger is better. "High Value Game Breeding"

He must be selling the experience right?!

But, we need to LIE in the media to hide what we do.

I'm a trophy hunter.

1. Trophy hunting is the selective hunting of wild game for human recreation and consumption. The trophy is the animal or part of the animal kept, and usually displayed, to represent the success of the hunt. The primary game sought is usually the oldest and most mature animal from a given population.

At home and abroad I actively Trophy Hunt.
I eat what I hunt or someone else makes full use of the product from my hunt. (As a relevant aside, I watched a local policeman quite happily ride away with the hind leg of a Leopard for his personal consumption)
I spend more time getting closer and looking over more game than many hunters. I pass up shots and that creates enhanced hunting opportunities/experiences. I have spent more days hunting one animal than many hunters going to Africa spend for an entire safari/trip. I'm a trophy hunter.

I take pictures of everything I can, while I am hunting. I chronicle and share the entire experience and take great joy in getting close to animals from Scorpions to Elephants while I am hunting. (skip the snakes). I sat an entire day in a Blind and shot nothing. I took pictures and enjoyed my hunt. I Trophy hunted all day long.

Go have a look at my trophies from the day.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/botswana-bowhunt-diary-of-a-day-in-the-blind-kanana.12443/

Share the results of your entire experiences.
I have no issue with sharing more depth to what we do, but I won't lie.

We kill animals.

As an example: Take note of the ratio of dead stuff pictures to the totals in these reports.

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...the-hunting-report-leeukop-safaris-july.6144/

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...-africa-with-kmg-tms-paw-print-safaris.23265/

Interesting article, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with the author. Hiding what we do, pretending we aren't doing it, not taking pictures of it, not talking about it, won't fool any of the antis or, I suggest, anyone else. Apart from no pictures, should we have hunting shows where no animals get hurt? Hunting stories where animals aren't killed?

The author's plan is a prescription for the ultimate end of hunting.

I don't deny that:

1. Hunters have an image problem.

2. A minority of our fraternity tend to do us a disservice, whether it be through stupid antics, stupid pictures or whatever.

3. We are not very adept when it comes to social media.

But the solution isn't to deny what we do. It's to get better at telling our story - and it's a very good story of conservation, of animals brought back from the brink of extinction, of the creation of livelihoods, of the feeding of people, etc. - on and through social media.

Broken record time again. We need to get together - all hunting organizations and hunting and hunting-related businesses - and pool our resources. Do what the antis do - hire the best, the very best, make a plan, and get our message out there. If we are so convinced that what we do is right, then surely we can get that message across to the non-hunting majority who are reasonable people?

We need leadership. Leadership is not hiding in fear, lest someone find out what we really do. but that still leaves the question: Where is the leadership?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!